Search for content in message boards

Are there better translations for these German phrases?

Are there better translations for these German phrases?

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 2:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Typed into one section of an EWZ document for my relative are these phrases in German:
Zum Herd gehört die Ehefrau: Schmalz, Eisabeth EWZ-Nr.100799.
Zum Herd gehört die Schwiegermutter: Fleck, Elisabeth EWZ-Nr.1007994.
Google translator gave me the following in English:
The hearth is the wife: Schmalz, Eisabeth EWZ Nr.100799.
The hearth is the mother in law: Fleck, Elizabeth EWZ Nr.1007994.
Question:
Is this idiomatic? Is there a better translation for the phrases?

Thanks, Bob Fleck

Re: Are there better translations for these German phrases?

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 12:12PM GMT
Herd, modern German Herde, literally means herd (as in a herd of cattle), figuratively company or party of people.

Gehören zu means: to belong to

So a reasonably correct translation would be:
To the company belongs the wife: Schmalz, Elisabeth
To the company belongs the mother in law: Fleck, Elizabeth

Kind regards,
Marianne

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 12:16PM GMT
I appreciate your help. From context, I generally understood the meaning of the phrases, but felt there had to be something other than what Google gave me.

Bob Fleck

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 1:25PM GMT
Hi Bob
I dont agree with Marianne

A Herd is a stove, it has nothing to do with a Herde animals

There is a german phrase: Eigener Herd ist Goldes wert, means an own stove is as valuable as gold. Own stove means in this connection, an own household is as valuable as Gold, or free translated: There is no place like home.
And what makes the luck perfect,if you have an own Herd/Household.A spouse.Even more if you cant cook.
Zum Herd gehört die Ehefrau
To a stove,in this case own household, belongs an Ehefrau.
Klaus (Germany)

Posted: 19 Aug 2013 12:28PM GMT
Thanks again. I do get the underlying meaning of phrases. Perhaps a close English equivalent is "in the household."

Bob

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 5:17PM GMT
Bob,
I don't blame anyone for giving automatic translators a bash and they can be useful for single words, but oh dear ! they do turn up some weird and wonderful stuff - even worse when they get tangled up in grammar. I think my best yet is the poor person asking my help when Maedchen(girls) turned up as "maggots" (Maden). I suppose it is a matter of opinion!!

Anyway Klaus is quite right Herd here has nothing to do with Herde, except in Herdbuch which is the record of pedigree for cattle or horses, i.e. the stud book. It is basically the kitchen stove, cooker, range, cookstove. Heim und Herd = hearth and home; am Haeuslichen Herd = by the fireside, at home; einen eigenen Herd grunden = to set up home, plus Klaus' eigener Herd ist Goldes wert - in other words Herd can also be "household" so the two women belonged to that household. If you get stuck again you could try Leo - not perfect (what is?) but very useful.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 12:02PM GMT
Translating with Google is an experience, though with practice, I have become better at it. That said, I never completely trust my translations. I’m always afraid that I might have gotten a word so wrong that my translation is 180 degrees off. Anyway thanks for the help. I looked at Leo and will need to use it for a while to learn its benefits.

Bob Fleck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic