Search for content in message boards

An Alexander from Greenup Co., Ky

An Alexander from Greenup Co., Ky

Posted: 30 Jun 2007 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the parents of Jesse Alexander b. abt 1831 in North Carolina.

The only information I have for him is that according to the 1850 census, he was born in North Carolina. In 1850 Greenup Co., Kentucky census he is living with:
Susan (whom I assume is his mother-b. abt 1811 NC)
Jackson b. abt 1836,
Susan b. abt 1841 KY, and
Polly A. b. abt 1843 KY.

In 1860 Greenup Co., Jesse is living with:
Mildred A. F., b. 1929
Elizabeth, b. 1852
Vienna G., b. 1855
Ella Frances b. 1856(my ggggrandmother) and
Luke Howland b. 1849
I believe Luke is a stepson from a previous marriage of Mildred's, so I don't even know her maiden name though I suspect it was Thompson only because she and Luke were living with William Thompson in 1850.

By 1870 Mildred is living in Quincy, Lewis Co., Ky alone with the girls, coincindentally she is living near Milton Thompson, though I think if he's related he must be a cousin.

Ella Frances Alexander married Allen William Willis 24 Jul 1878 and they both reside with Mildred in Quincy, Lewis Co., in 1880.

It seems as though Jesse disappeared just a mysteriously as he appeared. I can find no death record in the area. I thought perhaps he fell in the civil war, but I can find no record of him in a Kentucky regiment. I just don't have enough information to make a solid guess even of some other regiment.

I would be grateful for any information or any light you can shed.

Re: An Alexander from Greenup Co., Ky

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 6:54PM GMT
In the Alexander DNA project we have no lineage with a Jesse or anyone in Greenup County.

But that does not mean you won't come close to matching another tester, with whom you could then have someone to share information and research with.

You will need an Alexander male to test. Do you know of one willing?

Respectfully,

Roger Alexander

Posted: 3 Jul 2007 4:51AM GMT
Thank you for replying to my message. Not the news I'd hoped for, but I appreciate your reply.

Yes, I have considered DNA testing but unfortunately, I only know of two male decendents of this man, and unfortunately, I haven't spoken to either in at least a decade--and one in more than three. At this point I'm uncomfortable asking. It would be different if it came to proving or disproving a particular path, but at this point I feel like it would be a shot in the dark.

Right now I'm trying to compare the 1830 and 1840 censuses as Jesse was born in NC after 1830 while his brother was born before 1840 in KY. Once I've narrowed my list of possible fathers I'll try looking into wills.

Any other suggestions?

Penny

Posted: 3 Jul 2007 1:07PM GMT
Penny,

My only suggestion is to keep searching like you are doing on this message board and maybe you will get some helpful replies.

I presume you have searched message boards for Jesse and Greenup also?

About DNA testing, about 15 of our testers are surrogates who have no interest in genealogy but have been kind enough to scrape the inside of the cheek for someone who is interested in their common genealogy. The sponsor is usually female as you can imagine though not always in my experience. (I am presuming the two males you refer to are direct male heirs to Jesse, i.e. they have the Alexander surname?)

The sponsor orders the test kit with credit card online to be mailed directly to the surrogate. Once the surrogate returns the kit, postage prepaid by the testing company, the surrogate is out of the picture if desired. The sponsor is then the "owner" of that DNA sample, and gets regular email updates of results and matches, etc.

Make sure you order through the Alexander DNA Project at FTDNA because there is substantial monetary savings. It takes about 8 weeks to get the results, and the cost of the appropriate test is $191 through the Project.

If you would like to see a listing of our lineages and DNA "families", please write me at roger.alexander@fkilogistex.com.

Respectfully,

Roger Alexander

Posted: 3 Jul 2007 3:07PM GMT
Actually, neither of my cousins is an Alexander. From what I've been able to deduce, Jesse only sired girls. Does that mean DNA testing is out of reach altogether in this case?

I know Jesse had a brother and if I've correctly followed the path of his travels he had sons, however I have no clue who the decendents of those sons might be.

Honestly, I keep hitting a roadblock with this man so I have focussed most of my researching time on my other lines. Unfortunately, that leaves me with very little knowledge on the Alexanders at all.

My husband has suggested that I start at the beginning and work my way forward rather than start at the here and now and work backward. This is because so much is known about those first 7 brothers and Lord Stirlings heir, but what if this Jesse is from some obscure line?

Posted: 3 Jul 2007 5:25PM GMT
YDNA is passed only from male to male, so yes it has to be a direct male heir to Jesse.

I am not sure what else to suggest.

Posted: 3 Aug 2007 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander, Phillips
I don't know if this will be of help or not but, I found it on Ancestry:

Edgecombe County, North Carolina Vital Records 1720-1880

Jesse R. Alexander, Sr
b. 1834 in Edgecombe County, NC
m. 1857 in Edgecombe County, NC
d. after 1865
Spouse: Lavinia
FATHER: COFFIELD R. ALEXANDER, SR
MOTHER: PHILLA
Last Known Location: Edgecombe County, NC
Military: Co. I, 30th Inf. Reg., NC
Children: POLLIE, SARAH, SUSAN, ANNE, BENJAMIN, JESSE,
LAVINIA

Like I said not sure if this is your family or not but, hope it might help some.

Clara
rootdigger_65@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions