Search for content in message boards

Luenzmann family from Neustadt

Luenzmann family from Neustadt

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 2:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Luenzmann
Anyone else researching the Luenzmann family from Neustadt? I have Johan, Johanna, and their children Carl and Louisa that came to Milwaukee, WI in 1845. Would like to hear from anyone that might be researching a related family.

Re: Luenzmann family from Neustadt

Posted: 16 Mar 2009 1:06PM GMT
Surnames: Lünzmann
Neustadt is the most often used name of cities in all over Germany. The following cities are somehow larger than others:

Neustadt in Holstein
Neustadt an der Weinstraße
Neustadt am Rübenberge

Moreover some city districts are also named "Neustadt", meaning the relatively younger part of a large city, such as Hamburg.

So be clear about which Neustadt you mean. Otherwise you end up researching in some 30 cities all over Germany.

Correct spelling might be: "Lünzmann"

Posted: 16 Mar 2009 11:58PM GMT
Sorry, I assumed that since I was posting this on the Schleswig-Holstein board it was understood that I meant the Neustadt in Holstein. But you're right, if there are a lot of places named Neustadt in Germany, this could be confusing! Kind of like looking for Springfield in the U.S. -- there are over 30 of them -- 5 in the state of Wisconsin alone!

And, you have the German spelling correct; Luenzmann is the Americanized version of it.

Posted: 17 Mar 2009 8:55AM GMT
I am assuming that the correct spelling would be "Lünzmann", there is a small likelihood, that their original spelling was not altered.

I looked up the German phone book, and found 118 Lünzmann entries. 18 of those are and the ZIP code area "2" (= North Germany), however none of those is in the Neustadt/Holstein area today. I have not found any with the spelling "Luenzmann".

By the way my former boss was also a Lünzmann, her name is Monika, she is from Hamburg, but works and lives now in Hamburg.

Re: Luenzmann family from Neustadt & Milwaukee, Wis. USA

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 16 Dec 2012 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: Luenzmann Lünzmann Odenbrett Wittenberg
"... Luenzmann family from Neustadt? I have Johan, Johanna, and their children Carl and Louisa that came to Milwaukee, WI in 1845. Would like to hear from anyone that might be researching a related family."

You may find related families from research in Milwaukee's German newspapers. There are about 25 occurrences of Luenzmann / Lünzmann indexed from these papers collected in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).

There are multiple entries from multiple papers for a Louisa Luenzmann Odenbrett (Mrs. Joh. Heinr. Odenbrett), a Clara Luenzmann Wittenberg, and a Chas. Luenzmann.

Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007 ...

Re: Luenzmann family from Neustadt & Milwaukee, Wis. USA

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 1:11AM GMT
Thanks Gary. Is this an online index? The names you mention are all part of the family I am researching.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions