Search for content in message boards

Death Certificate for Joseph Marnell, Boer War Veteran

Death Certificate for Joseph Marnell, Boer War Veteran

Posted: 11 May 2012 2:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2012 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Marnell
I cannot find a date of death (certificate or registration) for my paternal grandfather. I find almost everyone else, his wife (my grandmother), etc. He served in the Boer War and I have this information.
Marnell, Joseph
Soldier No. 34481
Unit: 74 Company (Dublin) 8 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry
QSA Medal
He was born to John Marnell and Mary Ann Kane in 1875. Married Christine Mulholland abt. 1910 and had three children. Thomas Joseph (B. 1910), John Patrick (1912, my father) and Edward (B. 1913). Ancestry has, and I have found, his birth registrations, his marriage registration, his children's birth registrations, as well as other inforation on his siblings and parents. However, I cannot find a death registration for him.
This is what I know: As I mentioned, he was in the Boar War (and I have a picture of him in uniform), his wife (Christina Mulholland Marnell) died in 1917 and my sister said that my father told her that his father (Joseph Marnell) died in a mental hospital not that long after her.
Maybe a few years. My father came to Phila., Pa in 1929 to join his Aunts, his older brother coming first and his brother Edward came after my father. Is it possible that he died in a mental hospital and that's why I can't find a death certificate? Supposing that was the case, how can I find out what hospital and obtain records, etc.
I just went thru some of the other posts reg. Boar War and find good information. Hoping I can now find this info I am looking for. Thanks and have a good day. Alice Marnell Galcik.

Re: Death Certificate for Joseph Marnell, Boer War Veteran

Posted: 13 May 2012 1:22PM GMT
I note he served in the 74th (Dublin) Company, 8th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry, yet your message on the Anglo-Boer web site gives his place of birth as Co Antrim and the 1911 census appears to place the family at 61 Unity Street, Court, Co Antrim. That may not be unusual but I must admit I was a surprised to see he lived in the geographical north of the Island of Ireland rather than the south (not to be confused with Eire and Northern Ireland as of today); perhaps the “Belfast” companies were over subscribed.

Although many Imperial Yeomanry men re-enlisted for a second term, they only enlisted for one years service, so be aware that the 74th Company was raised in 1900 and originally part of the 16th Battalion, it was only transferred to the 8th battalion I.Y. in 1902, but I don’t think that should affect his record.

As to his death registration, as he died well after civil registration began in the whole of Ireland, even if he died in a mental institution, TB sanatorium or other hospital, even prison, his death would still be registered within the Civil Registration system. However, if he was admitted to hospital unconscious or otherwise debilitated he may not be recorded under his full name, his death could be registered as “unknown male” or “male Marnell” and of course his surname may have a corrupted spelling.

Hospital records are rare and you would have to know the name, at present I don't think you can even confirm he died in Co Antrim.

Posted: 13 May 2012 3:04PM GMT
Thanks Jeff.

I also have noticed the "Dublin" and wondered why not "Belfast" for Company. Maybe it was oversubscribed. Thought I read something about that in my searches but I am not sure if it was for this company.

I also need to do further searches (keeping an open mind :)
regarding a death registration.

Thanks again, Alice Marnell Galcik

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 11:33PM GMT
Hi,

I just read this post. I have been researching my Great Grandfather, David Brown from Lisburn, antrim. Northern Ireland. He was also in the 74th, 8th Battalion. His service number was 34519 (very close to your grandfather). The two men would certainly have known each other, possibly even good friends who enlisted on the same day???.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:19PM GMT
Thanks for the message.
I sent to GRONI for his death certificate. I received a copy of his death certificate and it tells me that he
died in 1927 in the Antrim Mental Hospital. He was 52.
The death certificates for Northern Ireland after (I think it's 1921 or 1922) are not on line. Legend had it that
he died sooner than that, so I was surprised. I would
suppose that you're right about them knowing each other.
Did you find the death cert. or info you were looking for?
Alice

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:00PM GMT
Alice,

Nice to connect with you. I have my great grandfather's medal from the war. I have also found some interesting stories online about the 74th. They were involved in a battle in Griquatown on the 24th Aug 1901, vastly outnumbered the Irishmen held a ridge. Out of 100 men, 14 were killed and 27 severely injured. Perhaps our ancestors were part of that battle..quite likely.. I now know of 3 Northern Irishmen who were in the 74th and none of them seem to have had a happy life after returning. We do not know anything about my great grandfather after 1911. He wasn't talked about, heading to GRONI later this week to find out more.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 12:16PM GMT
Good Morning:

Glad to get your new message. I sent for and have my
grandfather's records from the Boar War. I will get
them out and give you some more info. Do you have your
g grandfather's records? I will see if I can find that
battle on the internet, but if I do not have any luck, would
you let me know how you got that info? A link or something.
I am located in New Jersey--born and raised in Philadelphia, PA, USA. Are you in Ireland? Belfast?
Thanks, Alice

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Marnell and Brown
Hello!

I just went onto Ancestry and, under recent activity, there
was information on a David Brown from Belfast, born in Belfast and lived in Belfast, who died
in 1943. I think it has it as from WWII - Burma.
Is that your relative? Maybe it came up because I was
on an Anglo-Boer War.com website and saw your ggrandfather
listed as well as Joseph Marnell, my grandfather.
Alice

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 10:21PM GMT
Alice,

That would be great to get some more info...where did you get the service records?

This is the link I found the information http://angloboerwar.com/books/40-conan-doyle-the-great-boer-...
I have also attached a picture I found of all the Irish volunteers.
I am from Bangor, Northern Ireland. Paul Brown
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 11:16PM GMT
Alice,

I don't think it is the same David Brown...he would have been 63 in1943. The family were from Lisburn and lived in the same street for four generations. I will be going to the PRONI tomorrow, it is located in the Titanic Quarter of Belfast..right beside where I work so I have no excuse for doing more research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions