Search for content in message boards

Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Attached is the Lebenslauf (education, qualifications, and previous experience) written by Raffael Berger on 6 June 1944. It was included with his EWZ documents. He wrote the Lebenslauf in what is now Poland where he was resettled with his wife, children, and mother. Raffael Berger was born in Steinfeld (Ukraine/Russia). His mother Monika (Fleck) Berger was my great aunt. When my grandfather and three brothers came to North America from Landau, Russia, they left behind their parents and 9 siblings. I’m now trying to trace the lives of those who remained behind, but so far I don’t have much to go on except for EWZ documents. These were the immigration documents they submitted when applying for German citizenship at the end of World War II.

Below is my transcription of Raffael’s handwritten script into German text. Following that is the English text that resulted from running the German text through Google translator. Some of translated text makes sense (I think my translations for paragraphs 1, 6, 7, and 9 are good) and could rewrite them into “smoother” English. In other cases I can’t make out words Raffael wrote and/or the Google translation is too ambiguous for me to follow. I would really appreciate help in translating the 9 paragraphs into English—it is a very important document in tracing this branch of the family.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Am 16.2.1917 wurde ich als sohn des Bauren Raffael Berger und seiner Ehefrau Monika geb. Fleck in Steinfeld, Kreis Bratskoje, gebiet Wosnesensk [Ukraine] [geb.zen?].

Mit 6 jahren besuchte ich zum ersten mal die schule. Da es damals noch keine deutschen schulen im Sowjetstaat gab, wurden wir zu haus unter zichtet. Die lehrer wurden von den deutschen bauern bezahlt. Als später deutsche schulen eröffnet wurden, hat mich Vater 1932 nach Landau, Odessa zur schule gehen lassen. Ende desselben jahres [lzach?] die große Hungersnot aus. Da es auch meine eltern hart [bezaf?], musste mein Vater mich wieder zurück holen, und ich musste mit auf die Kolchose arbeiten gehen.

Im 18.9.1932 war ich als Begleiter eines [getzeidetzans poztes?] von der Kolchose aus bestimmt bei der fahrt zum sammelort fuhr der Kraftfahrer mit dem Lastkraftwagen unter eimer vozbei fahrenden Zug. Dabei wurde ich schwer verletzt und das zechte bein mufste mir abgenommen werden. Nach meiner genesung schickte mich der kolchos vorstand auf einer sechsmonatigen lehrgang als Rechnungs führer für die Kolchose. Als ich diesen lehrgang hinter mir hatte arbeitet ich als Schreib gelehrte im büro bis 1934. Im selben jahr eröffnete man in unseren darf eine deutsche Schule, die ich noch bis 1936 besuchte.

Da ich meine lust hatte, wieder auf die Kolchose zu gehen, fuhr ich im die stadt Archangelsk, wo ich [11 M.O. nate?] als Lagerverwalter bei einer Bauunternehmung arbeitete.

Im [?] 1937 besuchten ich im Archangelsk einen Lehrgang als lehrer für deutsche sprache im Russischen Schulen. Da aber kurz darauf mein Vater und später auch ein Bruder von der G.P.U. verhaftet wurden. wies man auch mich aus dem Lehrgang, und ich für wieder nach Hause.

1938-39 arbeitete ich als gruppenführer bei einer traktoren brigade auf dem felder.

Vom 1.1.1940 - 1.10.1941 war ich als Lagerverwalter auf der Kolchose tätig.

Ab 10 Jan 1941 bis 1 Nov 1943 war ich Dolmetscher bei dem Kreislandwirt im Blagodatnoje, gebiet perwomaisk bei der deutschen Zivilverwaltung. Am 2 November wurde ich mit meiner Familie und meiner Mutter, auf grund eines [ezlasses?] des Reichskommissars für die Ukraine, im das großdeutsche Reich umgesiedelt.

Seit dem 22.11.1943 bin ich bei der Deutschen Reichsbahn Bahnbetriebswerk Liegnitz tätig.

On 02/16/1917 I was born as the the son of the peasants Raffael Berger and his wife Monika Fleck in Steinfeld, Bratskoje county, territory Woznesensk [Ukraine] [geb.zen?].

At 6 years I attended the school for the first time. Since there were no German schools in the Soviet state was at that time, we were dispensed to house under. The teachers were paid by the German farmers. Schools were opened later than German, 1932 Father let me go to Landau, Odessa to school. End of the same year [lzach?] the great famine of. Since it [bezaf?] also my parents hard, my father had to take me back, and I had to go to work on the collective farm.

In 18.9.1932 I was as a companion [getzeidetzans poztes?] of the kolkhoz determined from the crossing to the collection site at the motorist drove the trucks under bucket vozbei train. And I was seriously injured and the carousing including myself was obliged to be removed. After my convalescence I sent the kolkhoz board on a six-month course-leader as accounting for the collective farm. This course-as I had behind me as I write scholarly works in the office until 1934. In the same year we opened our can a German school, which I have visited until 1936.

Since I had my pleasure to go back to the collective farm, I drove in the city of Arkhangelsk, where I [11 M.O. nate?] worked as a warehouse manager for a construction company.

In [?] 1937 I attended a training course in Arkhangelsk as a teacher for German language in Russian schools. But since shortly afterwards my father, and later a brother by the GPU were arrested. they also pointed me out of the course, and I did. again for home

1938-39 I worked as a group leader at a tractor brigade in the fields.

From 1.1.1940 - 1.10.1941 I worked as a warehouse manager at the collective farm.

From January 10, 1941 to November 1, 1943 I was an interpreter for the farmers in the district Blagodatnoje, territory Perwomaisk with the German civil administration. On November 2, I was resettled with my family and my mother, due to a [ezlasses?] Of the Reich Commissioner for the Ukraine, the great German Reich.

Since 22 Nov 1943 I have been working at the German National Railroad railway depot Liegnitz.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bob Fleck

Attachments:

Re: Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Posted: 1 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT
Bob
Sorry, but I am not able to express it into a smoother english.
paragraph 3
"In 18.9.1932 I was instructed to be a companion of a grain-transport,starting at the kolkhoz.During the tour to the collection site, the driver of the truck drove the truck under a passing railway. Though that I was heavily injured, and my right leg must have been ablated.After my convalescence, the kolkhoz board sent me for a six month course (to learn for!) an accountant (bookkeeper) for the kolkhoz. When I finished this course I worked as a clerk assistant in the office until 1934. In the same year, they established a german school in our village, which I attended until 1936."

Klaus

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 10:22AM GMT
The first thing that jumps out is that there has been a mix-up between "R" and "Z" in several places.

1: geb.,zen = obviously should be "geboren" - "ich wurde ... geboren" = I was born.

2: "... wurden wir zu Hause unterrichtet", not unterzichtet. Unterrichten = to teach/give lessons " ... we were taught at home". "Ende desselben Jahres brach, not Zach, die grosse Hungersnot aus". Ausbrechen = to break out - "brach ... aus" past tense, broke out. "Da es auch meine Eltern hart betraf", not bezaf. Betreffen = to meet, affect, influence - betraf = past tense.

3: Im 18.9.1932 war ich als Begleiter eines Getreidetransportes von der Kolchose bestimmt = On 18.9.1932 I was ordered/directed to accompany a grain lorry from the Collective farm. "von der Kolchose" could also mean he had been ordered "by" the Collective to accompany the lorry which would have been owned by the Collective anyway - not that it makes much difference here. Quite how the driver managed to drive the lorry UNDER a train is not clear, but he obviously collided with a train and Raffael was so badly injured he had to have his right - "rechte" not zechte.- leg amputated. "Ablated" is a very old fashioned word in surgery for amputate - not used today. I think he was trained as a "Shreibgehilfe" - not "gelehrte". This would be as a sort of clerical assistant.

4: "Da ich keine - not meine - Lust hatte" ... I moved to Archangelsk where I worked for 11 months (11 M.O.nate = 11 Monate).

5: In [?] 1937 I attended a training course in Arkangelsk as a teacher of German in Russian schools. However as my father was arrested by the GPU shortly afterwards, followed by the arrest of my brother a bit later, I was thrown off the course and returned home again. He has written Fuer (or fur with umlaut) instead of fuhr which is the past tense of fahren = to travel. Wiederfahren would be to return.

8: "Am 2 November ...... auf Grund eines Erlasses - not ezlasses ..." "With permission of, with a permit from, by the order of" the Reichs Commissioner for the Ukraine ... resettled in Greater Germany.".

Hope this is useful to you. You do not seem to need the whole thing in perfect English but if there are any other queries please come back.

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:32PM GMT
Forgot to put in: In No. 5 the missing word before 1937 is "Jahre" - "Im Jahre 1937 ..." is just "In the year 1937". We would say, "In 1937 ..." I went/did whatever.

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 4:56PM GMT
I appreciate the translation help from both of you. I thought Raffael’s penmanship was quite legible. However, from the help I got from halpark I see that there were some critical words that I either misinterpreted, or just plain had wrong. I spent much time with the Google translator. Mostly it was from German to English, which ends up as very stilted English. Then when I got really lost I would try translating what I thought was being said from English to German. That worked once or twice, but mostly led may even further astray. Anyway, below is what ended up with as the Lebenslaugh for Raffael Berger.

Regards,
Bob Fleck

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On 02/16/1917 I was born the son of the peasants Raffael Berger and his wife Monika Fleck in Steinfeld, Bratskoje County, territory Woznesensk, Ukraine.

At 6 years I attended school for the first time. Since there were no German schools in the Soviet state at that time, we were taught at home. The teachers were paid for by the German farmers. Later, German schools were opened and in 1932 Father let me go to Landau, Odessa to school. Later that year, the great famine broke out. Since it affected my parents hard, my father had to take me back, and I had to go to work on the Collective Farm.

On 18.9.1932 I was directed to accompany a grain truck from the Collective Farm. During a trip to the collection site, the truck driver drove under a passing train. I was severely injured and my right leg had to be amputated. After my convalescence, the Collective board sent me for a six-month course to learn to be a bookkeeper for the Collective. When I finished this course, I worked as an assistant clerk in the office until 1934. In the same year they established a German school in our village, which I attended until 1936.
Since I had no desire to go back to the Collective Farm, I moved to Arkhangelsk where I worked for 11 months as a warehouse manager for a construction company.

In 1937 I attended a training course in Arkhangelsk as a teacher of German in Russian schools. However as my father was arrested by the GPU shortly afterwards, followed by the arrest of my brother a bit later, I was thrown out of the course and returned home again.
1938-39 I worked as a group leader at a tractor brigade in the fields.

From 1.1.1940 - 1.10.1941 I worked as a warehouse manager at the Collective Farm.

From January 10, 1941 to November 1, 1943 I was an interpreter for the farmers in the district Blagodatnoje, territory Perwomaisk with the German civil administration. On November 2, I was resettled in Greater Germany with my family and my mother, by the order of the Reichs Commissioner for the Ukraine.

Since 22 Nov 1943 I have been working at the German National Railroad railway depot Liegnitz.

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 10:17PM GMT
Is that a Freudian slip or just having a laugh - Raffael Berger's Lebenslaugh? There are a couple of other points which may be of use. In No. 1 it says he was the son of "Bauren" - this obviously should be Bauern which you have translated as peasant. Bauer is actually a farmer, renting, or owning, his own farm. A peasant would be more likely to be referred to as a "Kleinbauer" or "armer Bauer" - indicating he did not own any land. He refers to the GPU in 1937. I think it had been replaced by the NKVD in 1934 - but I suppose locally they probably had not grasped that and it was really just the same nasty organisation.

For No. 9 you say "the German National Railroad railway depot". This has to be the German (or Deutsche) Reichsbahn which was the name of the company and it is impossible to say "Railroad railway depot. Railroad is simply American for railway - or railway is simply English for railroad. In addition I believe Americans say depot for what English refers to as the station. The original says he is working for the Deutsche Reichsbahn Bahnbetriebswerk in Liegnitz. This does translate as depot - but the depot in English is the workshops where the locomotives , carriages etc., are cleaned, repaired, sometimes even built - not the station where people get on or off. It would be possible to say German Railways' Depot at Liegnitz but this could be confusing because it might be thought of as today's railway which is Deutsche Bahn - or more simply DB and Liegnitz is no longer in Germany anyway, it is in Poland, called Legnica and any railway there will be run by PKP (Polskie Koleje Panstwowe) the Polish State railways. Better to stick to Deutsche Reichsbahn which it was when he wrote. And there are still people who think translation is easy as long as you know a bit of the language!!

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 3:03PM GMT
Thanks for the additional information concerning Raffael’s Lebenslauf (no, I was not going for the laugh (or is that lauf or maybe laff?). just error-prone). Your corrections will be included in the final version I keep.
Sorry it took so long to get back. We live in southern Arizona. Wouldn’t you know it, but our AC went out last Sunday evening and will not be fixed/replaced until tomorrow. We’ve been out of sorts and not very nice to each other. This last evening—predicated highs run up to 104 today—we are getting a motel room. It is our anniversary and it will be our getaway this year. There, you know more about me than you ever wanted.

Regards,
Bob Fleck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions