Search for content in message boards

William D Porter

William D Porter

Posted: 18 May 2001 6:37AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2001 8:43PM GMT
Hi, Do you have any info on William Porter. I am trying to make a connection from Wiltshire, UK to America. He left the UK in the early / mid 1800's.

William Benjamine PORTER -- b. 1696 Scotland

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 2:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2002 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell
My husband's ancestry came from Scotland to U. S. in 1725
His hame was William Benjamine Porter born 1696, he married Ann Campbell in Scotland 1725. She was born in 1704. Any information would be helpful. They settled in Orange County Virginia

Re: William Porter

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 1:40PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2001 8:43PM GMT
No, this isn't my line of Porter's then. Mine all seem to be from a village in Wiltshire. My great-great-grandfather had a brother named William who emigrated to the States in the early 1800's I would think. I cannot find any info on him at all. Thanks for your help though.

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 10:07PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2003 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: Fry, Porter
Hi Kay,

I believe you contacted my father by letter and he called you from Cardiiff, Wales. He has asked me to pass on any information I have to help you with your search for your UK ancestors. You may find www.familysearch.org of interest.

I think I have located my fathers grandfather on this site. His name was Moses Porter and I discovered that there was a Moses Porter who was born in Roath, Glam, Cardiff, Wales on Aug 2 1856 (Moses is my fathers middle name and I was named after an elderly victorian Aunt called Louise). So I'm hoping my family are connected to this Moses in some way.

My brothers and sister and myself were also all born and raised in Roath. Moses had 10 brothers and sisters and his parents were called William and Louisa Clara (maiden name Fry) and they were originally from Malmesbury in Wiltshire, England.They married on Sep 1st 1835. William died at Llandaff, Cardiiff on 20th Dec 1878 and Louisa Clara died wherabouts unknown 27th Nov 1881.

They had their 5th child in Cardiff named William Charles Porter on 16th Jan 1845. Prior to that all the children were born in Wiltshire, the 4th child was born in 1841 (Sarah Ann Porter) so I assume it was between 1841 and 1845 that the family settled in Wales.

Kind Regards,
Louise
Posted: 4 Sep 2002 11:39PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2004 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Nevill, Ashley
This may be a long shot, but my GGrandmother Maria Porter married John Nevill in or around Battersea, England in 1887.
I have been told that her family was from Wales and that there was a connection with a Fry family. They then produced my Grandmother Lily Nevill who married Frederick Galsworthy Ashley. Does this fit with any of your knowledge?
Thankyou
M.Harrison

Re: Maria PORTER

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 11:50AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
No sorry - my Porter family were in the Wiltshire / Bristol area around that time. To my knowledge, they never travelled down to London area.
Have you checked any info out on the census of 1881? Do you have the disks? I could look for you if you don't.
Let me know.

Re: William & Louisa Porter

Posted: 20 Sep 2002 6:29PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2003 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: Fry
Hi, I think you may be related to William and Louisa Clara Porter (maiden name Fry) who were from Malmesbury in Wiltshire and moved to Cardiff in Wales @ 1841.

Regards,
Louise

Re: Maria PORTER

Posted: 21 Sep 2002 8:58AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2004 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
That would be super if you could do an 1881 Census check for me.
The names are:
Robert Porter age 34
Matilda age31
Maria age 13
The area- Wrabness, Essex
Thanks,
M.

Re: William Benjamine PORTER -- b. 1696 Scotland

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 10:22PM GMT
It is very unlikely that they were married in Scotland, since there is evidence that Benjamin's grandfather arrived in VA in 1637.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 2:10PM GMT
Hi,
I now it may be a bit late but I saw your message. My great great grandfather was William Porter married to Louisa Clara Fry and they were from Malmesbury and kept a market garden on the Heath in Cardiff. My great grandmother was an Emma Porter sister of Moses.
John Owen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic