Search for content in message boards

L & N RAILROAD EMPLOYEES

L & N RAILROAD EMPLOYEES

Netta Mullin (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT

I would like to hear from anyone who has family members in their line that worked for the L&N Railroad or at the Union Station Depot located in Henderson, Henderson County, Kentucky. I am researching the history behind the railroad, the building of the passenger depot and the people involved. If anyone would have old pictures of the Union Station Depot I would be interested in talking to. We are currently looking into possible grants available to restore this depot and would like to have copies of what it actually looked like in it's hey day. Thanks! Netta Mullin, 1st V.P.

Henderson Co. Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc.

netta@henderson.net E-mail address has been removed from above to remove non surname subjects from the Surname page. JP

Re: L & N RAILROAD EMPLOYEES

Maureen Murton (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

I came across your query while trying to figure out what county my great-great grandparents were from. I have info that they married in Zion KY near Henderson in 1886. Anyway, I have a copy of a letter written by my great-great grandfather. In it he says that on 8-25-1899 he was appointed and sworn in as a substitute for the Railway Mail Service. On 8-10-1900 he was offered and accepted a permanent position as clerk on the L&N Railroad from Nashville to St. Louis. For reason of better adjustment to living moved to Nashville and worked for the Railway Mamil Service until 8-28-1930. If this is of any help, etc. feel free to contact me. P.S. Am I correct in trying to look up info in Henderson County or wouldn't you know either. Thanks.

momurt@aol.com E-mail address has been removed from above to remove non surname subjects from the Surname Page. JP

Frank Boyett (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

Netta:

Don't know if this is of any help, but I recently ran across a newspaper article from 1898 that lists the state Railroad Commission's 1897 tax assessments for Henderson County. If you would like to see it, see the Feb. 22, 1898, issue of The Gleaner on microfilm at the library. It lists the miles of track by city, county and school district in the county for each rail line. Also lists their value and the value of their other properties

Frank
boyett@henderson.net E-mail address has been removed from above to remove non surname subject from surname page. JP

HUGHES

Lisa Ann Lutterbach (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

My great grandfather, Lawrence P. Hughes(1860-1924) was from Henderson Co. and was supposed to have worked for the railroad. If I get any solid proof I will contact you again.

Please do the same for me if you come across his name first.

Thanks

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 6:42PM GMT
My Grandfather, Elmer Carpenter worked as a watch commander for the L&N Railroad in Boyle County, Danville, Kentucky. He was killed in an accident on December 21, 1925. The newspaper clipping of the accident is on Carpenter Payne Family Tree site - which is public. You will also find a portrait from a photo of Elmer with his work buddies. If you search Elmer Carpenter you will see it in his media file. If you have any problems or need further information - do not hesitate to contact me. Best regards,
Linda Carpenter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic