Search for content in message boards

Catherine Coolen / Hardiman / Turner

Catherine Coolen / Hardiman / Turner

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coolen, Hardiman, Turner
I am looking for any info on a Catherine Coolen, born about 1835 in Upper Prospect. According to her 1860 marriage to Francis Turner in Halifax City, she was a widow, and is listed as Catherine Hardiman when searching the Nova Scotia Vital Statistics. Her parents are not listed on the marriage bond.

I do not know if Catherine had any children from her first marriage, but she had Ellen and Mary with her marriage to Francis Turner, both born in Halifax City. I believe Catherine died in 1870 (not sure as the death record on NSVS is lacking in info) and I can't find any other death or census info on Francis Turner.

Their daughter Ellen married John Charles Zinn. They are listed on the 1901 census in Quarter 5, Halifax City with several children.

Many thanks,
Laurie

Re: Catherine Coolen / Hardiman / Turner

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 2:53PM GMT
Laurie...there was a Catherine Coolen d/o John Coolen and Catherine Duggan married a Henry Hardiman on Jan 16, 1854 at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in Prospect...he was a s/o Samuel & Ellen Power...
source: Haulin' In The Family Net by Linda Gray-LeBlanc, Volume 3
maybe this was your Catherine??
Good luck...Sheila

Posted: 5 Nov 2008 2:12AM GMT
Laurie...also found children of Henry & Catherine in the same book...
John b: Oct. 12, 1854 and Henry William b: Aug. 25, 1856...
John married Mary Firzgerald Feb. 11 1877...
Sheila

Posted: 5 Nov 2008 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Coolen, Hardiman, Turner, Duggan
That is awesome, thanks!! It would certainly be a perfect fit - that would make Catherine 19 at her first marriage, she has two children and her husband dies - she marries again in 1860. I can't find any deaths for a Henry Hardiman though, and I can't trace either of the two boys, other than John's marriage to Mary Fitzgerald. No census records, no death, no emigration.

But to Catherine's parents, John Coolen and Catherine Duggan, I found a death of a Catherine Coolen, aged 78 in 1875, parents Patrick Duggan and Margaret. That would fit nice for Catherine Duggan's parents. Do you have anything on them? My searches on Patrick Duggan around that 1760-1800 era always gives me a Rebecca Norris as a wife.

Samuel Hardiman and Ellen Power are eluding me too.

Do you know where I can get a copy of the book(s)? I've searched our local library catalogue online and they don't have it.

Thanks so much for your efforts!
Regards
Laurie

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: Snow, Cole, Clarke, Clancey, Moriarty
I noticed that you are reseaching the Duggan family. If you need more on this family I'd be happy to give you what I have. My research "begins" with William Duggan 1918-1909 m/t Sarah McGrath 1827-1893. Wm would be Catherine's Brother.

Posted: 7 Nov 2008 1:13PM GMT
I notice you are also researching the Moriarty family and wonder if it might be the Moriartys from Halifax NS. Would be interested in exchanging info with you.

Posted: 7 Nov 2008 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: Clarke, Clancey, Moriarty, Snow
Yes, my Moriarty's are from Halifax. I have to appologize, I was reading the wrong page of Duggan's. I did notice that there are several Coolen's in my Duggan family too. My Moriarty line so far is James/John Moriarty m/t Ellen Little, their son Edward Archie m/t Florence Sentel, their daughter Helen "Nellie" Mae m/t Charles Clancey, their daughter Geraldine m/t Stanley Clarke. The Coolens I have come through my Clarke / Snow line. The Snow comes from Fogo. Anything sound familiar? I have more, just let me know. My email is wendyquerin@hotmail.com

Posted: 3 Apr 2009 11:04PM GMT
Hello, I was just wondering if you had found any more info on this family? I have not been able to find anything about Rebecca Norris or Patrick Duggan's family. I am connected to them through Catherine and Francis' daughter Ellen.Thanks

Posted: 4 Apr 2009 1:51AM GMT
The following is what I have compiled on the family, starting at James Zinn, a son of Ellen Turner. This is mostly compiled from either census records or the records found on www.novascotiagenealogy.com. I haven't yet been able to tie in Rebecca Norris.

Ancestors of James M Zinn
First Generation

James M Zinn, son of John Charles Zinn and Ellen Mary "Helen" Turner, was born on 1 Mar 1878 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, died on 28 Sep 1950 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 72, and was buried on 30 Sep 1950 in St. John's Cemetery. The cause of his death was Hodgkin's disease, died at Victoria General Hospital. James married Helen Brown, daughter of George Brown and Jane, on 14 Jan 1908 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Second Generation (Parents)

John Charles Zinn, son of Thomas Zinn and Elizabeth Webb, was born in Sep 1856 in Hamilton, Bermuda and died in Jun 1907 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 50. The cause of his death was pulmonary tuberculosis. John married Ellen Mary "Helen" Turner on 27 Aug 1877 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Ellen Mary "Helen" Turner, daughter of Francis William Turner and Catherine Coolen, was born on 6 Sep 1861 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and died on 16 Sep 1946 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 85. The cause of her death was cerebral hemorage/arterial sclerosis. She was usually called Helen.

Children from this marriage were:
i. James M Zinn. James married Helen Brown on 14 Jan 1908 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
ii. Harold "Harry" Zinn was born in Oct 1883 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Harry married Florence Meehan on 12 Sep 1916 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
iii. Maud Zinn was born on 21 Jun 1885 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Maud married Andrew M Chricton on 21 Nov 1914 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
iv. John Charles Zinn was born in Sep 1886 in Nova Scotia, Canada. John married Sarah Princetta Rhodenizer on 4 Jun 1923 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
v. Edward Zinn was born in Apr 1893 in Nova Scotia, Canada.
vi. Arthur Zinn was born on 10 Oct 1894 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and died on 10 Jun 1927 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 32. Arthur married Bessie May Crouse on 2 Sep 1913 in Amherst, Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada.
vii. Catherine Vera Zinn was born on 28 Jul 1896 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and died in Apr 1904 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 7. The cause of her death was tuberculosis.
viii. Francis Zinn was born on 24 Jul 1898 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
ix. Cecil Zinn was born in 1902 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and died in Apr 1904 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 2. The cause of his death was tuberculosis.
x. Myrtle Zinn was born on 7 Feb 1905 in Halifax, Halifax, Nova, Scotia, Canada.

Third Generation (Grandparents)

Thomas Zinn was born about 1830 in Germany. Thomas married Elizabeth Webb.

The child from this marriage was:
i. John Charles Zinn. John married Ellen Mary "Helen" Turner on 27 Aug 1877 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Francis William Turner was born about 1830 in Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. Francis married Catherine Coolen on 15 Aug 1860 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Catherine Coolen, daughter of John Coolen and Catherine Duggan, was born about 1835 in Upper Prospect, Nova Scotia, Canada and died on 13 Jan 1870 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged about 35. Catherine married Henry Hardiman, son of Samuel Hardiman and Ellen Power, before 1860 in Nova Scotia, Canada. Catherine next married Francis William Turner on 15 Aug 1860 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Children from this marriage were:
i. Ellen Mary "Helen" Turner. Helen married John Charles Zinn on 27 Aug 1877 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
ii. Mary Turner was born on 15 Dec 1865 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Fourth Generation (Great-Grandparents)

14. John Coolen. John married Catherine Duggan. Catherine Duggan, daughter of Patrick Duggan and Margaret, was born in 1797 in Prospect, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and died on 28 Feb 1875 in Prospect, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada aged 78. The cause of her death was old age.

i. Catherine Coolen. Catherine married Henry Hardiman before 1860 in Nova Scotia, Canada. Catherine next married Francis William Turner on 15 Aug 1860 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Fifth Generation (Great Great-Grandparents)

Patrick Duggan. Patrick married Margaret.
* He appeared on the census in 1827 in Upper Prospect, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

i. Catherine Duggan. Catherine married John Coolen.

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Shea, Kavanagh, Prospect, NS
Laurie,
I have a Catherine Coolen married to Henry Hardiman(born July 5 1829)who married 1854. They had 2 children
John Hardiman-born Oct 12, 1854 and
Henry William Hardiman- born Aug 25, 1856.
Catherine Coolen's parents were John Coolen and Catherine Duggan.
This data is not a guarantee with certified paperwork, but hopefully will give you more to look at. I have more if you think we're good to go.
I do not have any info on a second marriage for Catherine Coolen, but I will add the Turners and Zinns when I hear from you.
Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions