Search for content in message boards

Taunton MA

Taunton MA

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2009 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Messier
Looking for any information for a jewler/optician named
Henry Messier on 320 Bay Street in Taunton. Would like to know what year they were in business.

Re: Taunton MA

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Messier, Burgess
I checked the city directories for Taunton, MA. Henry Messier does not appear in Taunton in 1909, not in the residential section nor in the advertisers or business index. He does appear as a jeweler and optician in the 1910 Taunton directory, in the residential section, and business index. He also places a large advertisement for his business in the 1910 Taunton directory. He appears for many subsequent years in Taunton. He was single when the 1910 Taunton census was taken in April. Henry Messier married Edna Gertrude Burgess on July 3, 1910 in Waltham, MA.
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Oct 2009 11:30AM GMT
Thank you for that information. Would it be to much to ask what year he no longer is listed in the city listing as a business. Thanks in advance.....

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 2:34PM GMT
Sorry for the delay. I wasn't notified that you had responded --I just noticed your post of 26 Oct. I will re-check that information and get back to you soon.

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 3:37PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2009 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Messier, Ascha
Henry Messier is listed as an optometrist in Taunton for the last time in the 1937 City Directory. (See all attachments.) The listing in the 1938 Taunton Directory, in the residential section reads:
Messier, Edna G. Widow Henry. h[ome]194 B'way.
Messier, Henry - (C. Robert Ascha) optometrist, eyes
examined, glasses fitted and prescriptions filled.320 Bay
phone 763.
Messier, Henry Sr. (Edna G) died July 13, 1937.
Messier, Henry, student. Residence 194 B'way)

A listing in the 1939 Taunton Directory, in the Business Index section, notes:
Messier, Henry, C. Robt. Ascha successor, 320 Bay.
In the 1939 Residential section of the Directory, there is a listing for Messier, Edna, widow Henry, living at 317 Bay.
Listed at the same address is Henry E. Messier, dentist. So evidently Henry Messier Sr's son Henry chose dentistry as his profession!
I believe the C. Robert Ascha is the same person as Robert C. Ascha listed Charles R. Ascha living in Northampton, MA on the 1930 census. He is listed there as an optometrist.

I hope this helps.

MR
Attachments:

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 11:30PM GMT
Surnames: Messier
Henry "Hank" Messier dentist Taunton, Ma lived and went to school North Easton, Ma..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic