Search for content in message boards

Winnebago County Asylum

Winnebago County Asylum

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Need information on locating burial records for the cemetery at the Winnebago Asylum. We are searching for a Paul Hoeck and his wife Lizzie. Who do I write to or call?? Any help would be great
Thank You

Re: Winnebago County Asylum

Janet Eiler (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2004 12:02AM GMT
Becky,

Do you have more information on your Paul & Lizzie Hoeck? Approximate time of death? I have a death index here that covers up until 1912 but I don't find them listed. Are there variations of the spelling of the last name?

The Winnebagoland Genealogical Society is currently involved with the county to gather information on burials in the Winnebago County Poor House Cemetery. People from the Poor House, Asylum, and Northern Hospital were buried here.

The Northern Hospital does have its own cemetery but are pretty closed lipped about any info unless you can prove relationship. The Northern Hospital is now called Winnebago County Health Institute.

I am involved in this project and should be able to find out if your Hoeck's are on the list. I have been assigned the S's and a couple of T's.

Janet Eiler

Addition/Correction to Janet's messsage

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 7:42PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2005 7:47PM GMT
The Northern Hospital for the Insane, founded in 1873 and operated by the state of Wisconsin, is now called the Winnebago Mental Health Institute. Don't be scared off by the name, they sent folks to "the Northern" for everything from postpartum depression to Alzheimer's, etc. They DO have records all the way back, but you have to write and explain how you are related etc. Even long deceased patients have a right to privacy.

Across the road to the west are the Winnebago County poor farm, hospital, asylum, Sunnyview TB sanatarium, varying names for varying configurations at varying dates from the early 1870s on. This is the cemetery whch is being researched at present. Although this was run by the county, at some times they took patients from other counties nearby on a contract basis.

So how do you know they were there, and when was it?

Re: Addition/Correction to Janet's messsage

Posted: 29 Apr 2004 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2005 2:31AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. This is the information that I have.
Paul Hoeck Jr. was born in Iowa in July of 1873 and died in Wisconsin March 18, 1954. I am not entirely sure if the date of death is accurate. I went the other day to the Chippewa County Historical museum and went through some of their records, in a book "Chippewa County Poor Farm & Asylum 1942 - 1954" his name ONLY is listed and it says that he was transfered to Winnebago. No date was listed as to when he was transfered and nothing was said about his wife. His wife is Lizzie Hoeck maiden name Schwab. Paul Hoeck would be my Great Grandfathers brother and he is the only relative we have been unable to locate where he is buried. If you find anything you can email me at clicksons@yahoo.com.

Janet Eiler (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2004 5:53PM GMT
I found Paul Hoeck's death record filed in Winnebago Co, WI

Vol 94, Pg 122

White, Male, 87 yrs old, birth date & place were unknown, marital status was blank

Died January 5, 1954 at Winnebago State Hospital (which is now the Winnebago County Mental Health Institute)

Died of Chronic Myocarditis (prior to hospitalization), Generalized Asteriosclerosis & Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

His usual residence was listed as the Chippewa County Hospital and was a patient at Winnebago State Hospital for 11 months & 15 days.

Informant was the Hospital records. Funeral/Burial arrangements were taken care of by Fiss & Bills (still in Business!).

I don't think he was actually buried though! His burial date is January 8, 1954. In the spot that specifies burial or cremation it says Medical. His body was sent to Marquette Medical School, Milwaukee, WI. Maybe his body was donated for research? I have never seen anything like this before so this intrigues me. Let me know if you find anything about this.

I didn't have any info on Lizzie from you to know what time frame to look in. Maybe she died before he was hospitalized in Chippewa County? The record shows nothing in the marital status box, they just left it blank. So, I have no idea whether he was married or widowed.

Posted: 30 Apr 2004 12:37AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2005 2:31AM GMT
Thanks so much for your help, it answers a lot of questions. I'll do some more checking and let you know if I find anything out. Thank You for your time. Becky

Winnebago County Asylum

Posted: 2 May 2004 5:11PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2004 11:51PM GMT
Janet -
Do you have an address to write to the Winnebago County
Hospital? What do I need to provide them with to get an answer as to what my great grandmother was being treated for and she died during the treatment. Her obit records her dying there. Thanks Deb

Janet Eiler (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2004 2:02AM GMT
Here is a website for Winnebago Mental Health Institute with an email contact at the bottom of the page for you to use.

http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/MH_Winnebago/HISTORY.HTM

They are pretty good about responding to emails. May not be immediate as they are busy but you should have a response within a few days.

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2006 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Hoeck
To my knowledge, Paul's body was turned over to a hospital in Wisconsin for research purposes. I have not contacted that hospital yet to see how they handle the remains after research is completed.

His wife Elizabeth Swab was pretty much out of his life after he was released from the Chrerokee Mental Health Hospital and a court battle that involved his family.

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 10:54AM GMT
Surnames: O'Reilly/O'Riley
Hello,

I was wondering if you can help me with the death date for

David Joseph O'Reilly/O'Riley. He was the son of Alice Kelly-O'REilly and Alexander O'Reilly. Both of his parents passed away in 1922.

I see David in 1930 and 1940 census at the County Asylum

David Joseph O'Reilly October 7, 1888 --- 1956??

David is buried in St. Thomas Aquanis Cemetery in Poygan/Omro, Wisconsin. I think he died in 1956 but cannot find any obits and I would love the actual date.

I do not know the death date. I see several articles in newspapers about his bowling and petitions for his support in the asylum.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions