Search for content in message boards

GALE from Yorkshire (Hull, Whitby, Bedale or Scruton)

GALE from Yorkshire (Hull, Whitby, Bedale or Scruton)

Posted: 4 Jun 2005 11:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2006 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: Gale
If your GALE family comes from any of these cities, please post a reply to this message, giving details of your earliest forebears.

I'm looking for any GALEs who may be related to me. My line goes back to circa 1495 in Scruton, then to Bedale, then to Whitby, then to Hull, then to Kingston-Upon-Thames near London.

Jonathan Gale

Re: GALE from Yorkshire (Hull, Whitby, Bedale or Scruton)

Irene Hewitt (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2005 12:07AM GMT
Jonathan,

My Gales start with William (1495-1557), Ninian (1520-1609/10 - Scruton), Thomas (1576-1654 - Scruton), Ralph (1615/16-1683/84 - Scruton), Thomas (1663- Scruton/Bedale), Luke (1695- Bedale), Thomas (1719-1792 Bedale/Well), Ralph (1753- Bedale), Robert (1787- Well), Leonard (1846-1881 -Snape).

My grandmother, Mary Ellen Gale (1862-1945) married Edward Hunt in Darlington. The Hunts go back many generations in Whitby.

Posted: 26 Jun 2005 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: Gale, Glover, Findlyson, Enderby
Hi Irene

Thank you for replying and apologies for not getting back to you earlier.

This is really exciting! I so seldom come across anyone I can connect into my Gale Tree.

I have all your info on my Tree up to Leonard. The only slight difference I have is I had Leonard's date of birth as 1842, not 1846.

I'd love to add your informationa from Leonard up to you. Would you be happy to let me have it? Once I've got it on I'll then give you direct access (via a Username and Password) to Tree.

I'll copy this is an email to you as well.

Look forward to hearing from you

Best wishes

Jonathan

P JBunn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2005 7:24PM GMT
My grandmother's family came from Yorkshire. Her maiden name was Adelaide Gale. Her parents were George William and Adelaide (nee Coverdale) Gale. Her grandparents were Robert and Annie Gale (nee Kennington).

Robert Gale was born in Kingston upon Hull in Yorkshire and in the 1881 census is a brewer and maltster living in Holdenhurst in Hampshire. George William was born in Hornsea in Yorkshire and in 1901 was horse dealer in Godalming, Surrey (family oral history has it that he supplied horses to the royal household and household cavalry). My grandmother was born in Surrey but all her siblings were born in Norfolk where the family moved at some point between 1901 and 1918.

My sister has a mourning ring in memory of Sarah Gale who died 21 September 1872 and who was the wife of George Mason Gale, both of Sculcoates. I have only just started researching this line of my family so am not quite sure where Sarah and George Mason fit in. I am assuming they are Robert's ?parents?

Irene Hewitt (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2005 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: GALE, HUNT
Jonathan,

I'll provide more details directly, but I wanted to post my information on the fact that there are two different Leonards.

In the birth index there are 2 Leonards. One born in Dec quarter 1842 in Bedale and one born in June quarter 1846 in Darlington.

In the 1861 census, there is a Leonard Gale, born abt 1843 in Snape, living in Darlington with wife Elizabeth. His occupation is blacksmith.

In the 1871 census there are two different Leonard Gales. One is living at #10 Green St, St John, Durham. Birth listed as about 1847 in Darlington and occupation as tailor. The other Leonard is listed as Gales living in Middlesborough, Durham. Birth listed as about 1843 in Snape, occupation as boilersmith.

In the 1881 census there are also two - one listed at #23 Green Street, Darlington. Birth is listed as abt 1847 in Darlington, occuaption is tailor. The other is listed at #8 China Street, Cockerton, Durham. Birth is listed as abt 1846 in Snape, occupation is boilermaker.

To add to the confusion, the tailor's wife is Elizabeth. The boilermaker's wife is Jane Elizabeth.

In the 1861 census, Leonard the blacksmith is living with his father, Robert, born 1797, in Snape.

My grandmother, Mary Ellen Gale, born in 1863, is listed as a daughter of Leonard the boilermaker. Mary Ellen, married Edward Hunt, a boilermaker's apprentice. Edward Hunt was born in Stockton, but his family goes back several generations in Whitby.

Most family tree information I've seen online only points to one Leonard Gale, born in 1846. I believe there are two. I'm trying to determine which Leonard is which....

Irene Hewitt

Posted: 16 Jul 2005 8:35PM GMT
Surnames: Gale, Duck, Webster, Bostock
Hi There

Thank you for responding! I've found George Mason Gale and Sarah Gale (they were first cousins) and can give you the Gale line back to about 1495.

They had a son Robert who was born in Hull on 23 June 1832.

I shall contact you by e-mail as I do not automatically receive these messages and my email address has changed.

Regards

Jonathan

Geoff Vasey (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 11:09AM GMT
Link one Great Grandad x5
Christopher Gale b 1773 Whitby m Eleanor Lee
Dau Elizabeth Gale b 1804 Whitby m John Anderson b1801 Whitby.

link two
Christopher Gale b 1773 Whitby m Eleanor Lee
Son
Robert Gale b 1819 Whitby m Sarah Swales b 1823 Whitby
Son Thomas b 1847 Whitby m Mary Allison b 1850 Whitby
Dau Elizabeth Gale b 1881 ish whitby m John Vasey b 1886 Whitby
John Vasey is my great uncle.
thanks to Ron Gale I have the Gales back to 1495
looking for a marrige date and the kids of John and Elizabeth

Geoff Vasey

Jonathan Gale (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2005 6:10AM GMT
Surnames: Gale, Duck, Webster, Bostock, Findlyson, Glover, Mangan
Hi Geoff

Thank you for responding

I'll contact you off site

Cheers

Jonathan

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 12:48PM GMT
In work on my Gale family ancestors I've come across a Peter Gale Esq, 1820's / 30's magistrate (Ashfield Hall, County Laois, Ireland) who uses the escutcheon of the Yorkshire-based Gales. As you know, in Irish history there are a number of times over the centuries that the British government transplanted its citizens to the Emerald Isle to "settle" the land to make it "British" (and to displace the Roman Catholics). I believe these Gales were part of that process. I would be interested if your records show any of the Yorkshire Gale branches taking an Irish turn.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 1:53PM GMT
I am researching my family tree and have traced my oldest ancestor to Scruton. His name was George Gale and he was born in Scruton in 1798 and he was married to Jane and they had 6 children William, Ann, Jane, Matthew, George and John. They later moved to Husthwaite as 4 of the children were born there. I know from research that the Gale family lived in and around Scruton for a long time and wondered if you could help extend my tree. Many thanks, Trevor Gale.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic