Search for content in message boards

Eckels/Eccles

Eckels/Eccles

Mike Eckel (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2004 10:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm researching the origins of the Eckel/Eccles clan in the U.S., whose origins reportedly stretch back to Ayrshire, Scotland.

Andreas Eckel was of German descent who may have been the first Eckel to arrive in the U.S., via the port of Baltimore, in the 1730s.

Re: Eckels/Eccles

Peter Smith (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2006 6:48AM GMT
Hi Mick, my Grandfather was Peter Eckel, born Germany. My Father was also Peter Eckel born 1914 (one off twins) in CUMNOCK, Ayrshire Scotland.
Regards Pete.

Kay Williams (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2006 8:53AM GMT
Surnames: Eccles
I think in this instance the surnames Eckel and Eccles are probably unconnected. My grandfather was an Eccles who farmed in Ayrshire (one of a family of 11 so there are quite a few around).

The furthest back I have been able to get is to Alexander Eccles who married Marion McIlmorrow at Daltnagan Farm, Barrhill in 1755. They had three children I know of: Alexander, Gilbert and Margaret. Gilbert's son Alexander, who farmed Laigh Corton, was buried in Old Alloway kirkyard near the grave of Robert Burns father, William Burness.

Mungo Eccles was an Maybole Covenanter, but I haven't been able to connect him to my ancestors.

As far as I'm aware, there is no German connection to these Eccles.

Regards, Kay

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 1:16PM GMT
I am related to the same Eccles family. I found Gilbert and Margaret but no Alexander so I am wondering about the evidence you have about him that links him to the family. I'm aware this is an old thread and may not be read. My family ancestry is from Alexander Eccles and Marion McIlmorrow to Gilbert Eccles and Jean Mitchell, to John Eccles and Elizabeth Crichton, to Mary Eccles and Unknown, to her son Charles Eccles and Mary Young to my Grandmother Mary Eccles who emigrated to Australia and married my Estonian Grandfather Leopold Mahe (who changed his name to Aubin) in the 1920's.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:27PM GMT
First of all I would take a look at all the Eccles in Ayrshire in the 1841 Census using FreeCEN and get an idea of who is in what household (there are only about 50 Eccles). The main groupings are at farms and smallholdings near Ayr (Content, Corton, Burnton and Masonhill).

There were three Eccles brothers: John, Alexander and Gilbert. From baptism records, Gilbert was born 28 January 1762 to Alexander Eccles and Marion McIlmorrow [OPR Colmonell]. They also had a daughter baptised Margaret in 1764. You need to look at wills and testaments to get the real detail.

Neither John nor Alexander seems to have had surviving children and it appears they feued portions of property. John Eccles of Content died 6th Jan 1824 [SC6/44/1 Ayr Sheriff Court]. Alexander Eccles died in September 1842; he drew up a settlement on 3rd July 1833 and added a codicil on 27th October 1837 [1846 SC6/44/14 Ayr Sheriff Court]. These documents mention many Eccles nephews and nieces (and helpfully spouses of nieces). I will leave you to unravel these. Gilbert Eccles did not leave a will as far as I can see, but his youngest son Robert did [1867 SC6/46/5 Ayr Sheriff Court].

Happy hunting, Kay (Edinburgh).
Posted: 6 Mar 2013 12:36AM GMT
Hi Kay
Many thanks for your information, its very helpful. I work on the tree which we have on Geni when I have time. I've been using census and BDM data from Scotland's People and Family Search. My brother who lives in Darwin focuses on the Australian side as we were early convicts & settlers in New South Wales & Western Australia on my fathers side from Ireland, Scotland and England.

We are on Geni because my mothers father was Estonian and Geni is also in Estonian so we have matched with many relatives from there. Because of the language barrier I some years ago paid for a search by the Estonian biographical Centre which has proved very accurate.

Again thanks for your assistance
Regards
Annette Collins
Perth Western Australia

Posted: 28 May 2013 5:35PM GMT
Hi any connections to William Eccles, Ballantrae around 1840 married to Janet Millar?

Posted: 28 May 2013 6:58PM GMT
I haven't been able to attach William Eccles and his family to the ones I have. (There don't really seem to have been any other Eccles but yours in Ballantrae. It is possible William is related in some way.)

The Banns for William Eccles and Janet Millar, Ballantrae, are dated 25th September 1838. The 1841 Census shows Janet Eccles, 20, at Shellknoll, Ballantrae, described as "husband fisher absent". She has two children aged Mary, 1, and James, 8 months. A search through the baptism pre-1855 shows Mary had a middle name of Taylor and they had another son John Millar Eccles baptised Dec 1842.

This post says William died in 1844: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.eccles/11.14.15.85.3.1/m...

In the 1851 Census they turn up at Main Street (Girvan Rd), Ballantrae. Janet appears to have married James Rae, shoemaker and there are three Rae daughters aged 1 to 5 years as well as the three Eccles.

Let me know if you ever manage to connect them up!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions