Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 and Memory leak issues

FTM 2011 and Memory leak issues

Posted: 24 Dec 2010 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Over time with FTM 2011 running and adding citations to my tree I eventually experience memory leak issues. Below is an example:

"Exception in panel3D.Paint3D()

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of Memory.
at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32Status)
at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Int32 x, Int32 y)
at FTM.UI.Common.Panel3D (Graphics)"

This then displays a "red" box around the entire FTM main window.

There are times when the display gets red "X"'s displayed where the rated stars are and the citations themselves are not fully displayed.

My machine is:

windows 7 64 bit
4 gb ram
I3 processor
500 GB HD with 382 GBs free

My DB has abt 25,000 with citations, pictures, census, etc.

And, yes I usually compact my file routinely.

Re: FTM 2011 and Memory leak issues

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 6:55AM GMT
Same here. FTM is sadly, riddled with memory leaks and inefficiencies when using the report generation or export utilities.

I would like to see Ancestry.com focus on fixing these bugs before adding more features. At current, I am having to take many of my reports and disect them into multiple publications... only to take their PDFs and merge them. And this of course causes the numbering of pages to be off, and overall make the book poor in quality.

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 8:54PM GMT
I run out of memory when doing reports and freeze when loading media about 220 pics, and I have 8 gig memory

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 3:35AM GMT
I am having the same problem:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.
at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
at FTM.UI.Common.Panel3D.(Graphics)

Usually it just crashes...Freezes up.
Has anyone looked into this?

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 1:54PM GMT
Robert,

Please go to the Knowledge Based website:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

And enter crash into the Keyword Search and click on Search. This will bring up a list of Knowledge Based articles based on your version of Windows. Please follow the instructions, based on your version of Windows. As you go, please make note of what you see, what you did, any error messages, so that IF that article doesn't resolve this, you can post your findings here and we can go from there.

Russ

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 8:28PM GMT
I have been having several crashes a day and the support department has not come up with any viable resolution. I have tried all of the suggestions of deinstalling, reinstalling, clean-up, etc., etc. I even upgraded my RAM from 4gb to 8gb. I has not resolved the crashing issues.

Support has given me one last option: split the database. I didn't buy this program with all of its promises of ease of use just to go through the hassle to creating multiple smaller family databases and trying to keep track of who is in which tree.

I wish you luck in finding a solution.
Attachments:

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 4:22PM GMT
I download the FTM 2012 update last week and haven't had any further program crashes. I'm very excited!!!!

Re: FTM 2012 and Memory leak issues

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 12:52PM GMT
--At least once every day my FTM 2012 stops working and advises:

"Exception in panel3D.Paint3D()

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of Memory.
at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32Status)
at FTM.UI.Common.Panel3D (Graphics)"

--My FTM database contains 16,010 people, and 59,075 source references. My system consists of the following:--

OS= Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Ver= 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Sys Type= x64-based PC
Proc= AMD FX(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz
Installed Physical Mem= 10.0 GB
Total Physical Memory= 9.77 GB
Available Physical Mem= 7.87 GB
Total Virtual Memory= 19.5GB
Available Virtual Memory= 17.3GB
Page File Space= 9.77 GB

--Is it possible that there is nothing that can be done to the FTM software to fix this problem? I have found no helpful information in the Ancestry.com knowledge database.

--Please advise if there is anything I can do, other than breaking-up my database, to solve the problem. I compact my database frequently, this has no effect whatsoever on the memory issue.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 1:04PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 1:05PM GMT
It is my understanding that while you may be running with a lot of computer RAM, there is a memory limitation in the Program itself. So even though you have a lot of RAM you may get out of memory problems from the program itself.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 1:27PM GMT
This has been an issue with FTM since version 2008. Even smaller trees (3,000 persons) are suspect to this issue depending on how long you run the program and merge image records from Ancestry.com.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic