Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2005 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Flynn, Jordan
The Big Sandy News
Friday Feb. 21, 1936 page 8

Lawrence Co. Public Library
Louisa, Ky 41230

MRS. GEORGE FLYNN DIES

Mrs. Sobrinthia Flynn, 72, widow of the late George Flynn, died Wednesday afternoon at the home of her son, John Flynn, near Fallsburg. Funeral was conducted Thursday afternoon and the internment was made on Morgan Creek.

I am trying to connect Sobrinthia Flynn to James Jordan.
I suspect he was her father and I would like to determine who her mother was, as well.

According to the 1900 census and her obituary, she was born about September 1863.But her father?, James, did not remarry until 1866 to Mary Jane (Moore) Fraley, about 2 1/2 years after her birth.

Additionally, after the 1850 census, James' 1st wife Sarah is no longer listed. I assummed she was deceased.

1--Who is Sobrinthia's mother?

Unfortunatley,this obituary and her death certificate do not state the names of her parents.Does anyone have documentation to prove who her parents were?

The 1910 census for Sobrinthia states she had born 5 children with 5 living. Four can be accounted for but who is the 1st child?

In the 1900 census, George W. Flynn, son, is listed, born 1886 but she and George had been married 8 years
In the 1910 census, I cannot find George W. Flynn, her son but I found John and Emma Jordan
In the 1920 + 1930 census, John Flynn/Jordan, widowed son, is listed

2--Are George W. Flynn and John Flynn/Jordan the same person? Illegitimate? From a previous marriage?

Re: Obituary: Sobrinthia (Jordan?) Flynn

robbie mcconnaughey (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 4:26AM GMT
Surnames: Jordan
Yes John jordan was Sobrintha's son, this was my grandfather,(John). Sobrintha was listed as his mother and it states that James, his grandfather, raised him. So I assume that he was illegitamate. I know my dad had said that our last name was really not Jordan, and I suppose that is where the Jordan came in. He also said we were of Indian descent, so I have wondered if this is where the native american came in?

Posted: 17 Mar 2005 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2005 3:43PM GMT
Surnames: Jordan, Fraley, Moore
Robbie,

Thank you for the info.

If John is Sobrintha's son, was he also known as George W.? If not, who is George W?

What document are you referring to in which James is listed as having raised him? May I have a copy? I'll be glad to pay the expenses or trade documents.

Do you know who Sobrintha's mother was? Although this has no relevance to my family research, I do not like not having at least the basic family info for each person that I research.

I am researching Mary Jane (Moore) Fraley, Jame's 2nd wife. She was my 3xgrgrandmother and I can find very little about her. I am researching all of the Jordan children looking for clues in documents such as a obits and wills. So far I haven't learned anything new.

A Jordan researcher, whose name I don't remember, stated that they had heard that James may have remarried after the death of his 1st wife Sarah and before marrying Mary Moore. Have you heard of this?

Regina D. Tackett (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2005 5:50PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2005 1:43AM GMT
Surnames: Flynn, Jordan, Hewlett
Lorrie,
Just happened onto the Carter Co. site and saw your queries concerning Sabrintha Flynn.

I first found her in the 1870 Carter Co. census with her father James Jordan, as well as the 1880.

The marriage record of her son, John Jordan stated he was raised by James Jordan and his mother was Sabrintha. I have the actual copy if no one has shared with you. Would be glad to scan it to you.

Nothing I have ever stated who John's father was.

I do have his funeral home record and it gives fathers name as James Jordan. From other records we know this to be Sabrintha's "Brintha" father.

I would share this also if you don't have it.

Sabrintha married George W. Flynn but I don't have that record. I'm in Lawrence Co. and it may be in Carter. Not sure about that but by 1900 George and Sabrintha are in Lawrence Co. Ky. with four children.

George was 22 years older than Sabrintha according to that census and they had been married 8 yrs.

Since the record states they've only been married 8 yrs. and the oldest child, George, is 14, I assume George W. was married before Sabrintha.

(By the way, her son John D. Jordan was not living with them in 1900.)

Her other children (besides John born before her marriage to George W. Flynn) are Burton, Millie, Gainie and Martha. I have some info on them.

George W. Flynn died in Dec. 1901at Morgans Creek here in Lawrence Co. per Big Sandy News. It didn't say much more than that.

By the 1910 Lawrence Co. census, Sabrintha is listed as a widow with five children.

George Flynn, Jr. is found in the Lawrence Co. Poor House in that census.

Her son John Jordan is married by then and has two children but tragedy strikes his home in Dec. of 1910 when his wife dies.

In the 1920 Lawrence Co. Ky. census:
Sabrintha and her son John Jordan are in the same household with her children and John's son Denver. I don't know where John's little daughter was at this time.

In the 1930 Lawrence Co. Ky. census:
Sabrintha and son John are still sharing a household.

Sabrintha, as you know, died in 1936 and was buried at Morgans Creek per her funeral home record. I assume with her husband, George Flynn, since that is where he died. I'm also believing those graves are unmarked but I haven't been there yet.

Her son, John D. Jordan died April 18, 1962 and obviously never remarried as it states his wife was Emma Hewlett who died in 1910 and I knew that was his first wife.

His daughter and son are both named in his record so I don't know where the daughter was in 1920.

He was also buried on Morgans Creek so I'm assuming with his mother but they are calling it the "Jordan Cem. on the Workman Farm on Morgans Creek." in his funeral home record.

I have some info on John's half sisters if you need or want this. I didn't know how deep you wanted to go with this.

You can let me know and email me if you'd like scanned copies of some of the info. Regina

Posted: 30 Mar 2005 2:16AM GMT
Regina,

Thanks for all of the information.

Since I am not replying from my computer, I do not have my genealogical info with me.

I would like to have scanned copies of the documents and will contact you next week.

Lorrie

Posted: 5 Apr 2005 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: JORDAN, FRALEY, MOORE
Regina,

I would like to have copies of the scanned images. Would you like copies of the Jordan images that I have?

I do have a few unanswered questions that I hope you can answer.
Do you have any info on James Jordan's 2nd wife,Mary Jane (Moore) Fraley?
--I do not know anything about her immediate family or when/where she died.
Do you know who Sobrintha's mother is?

Regina D. Tackett (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2005 12:42PM GMT
Lorrie,
If you will send me a private email at: rtackett@foothills.net we'll compare notes on what I have that I could scan and share with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic