Search for content in message boards

John/Aaron/Benjamin Tyson-Madison County Tennessee-slave records

John/Aaron/Benjamin Tyson-Madison County Tennessee-slave records

Gail (Tyson) Greer (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2005 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jun 2005 11:15AM GMT
Surnames: Tyson, Tison
As we prepare for our family reunion in Medon, Tennessee on Collins Road just outside of Jackson, Tennessee, we are seeking to learn the African country from which my great great grandfather Issa Tison (name on tombstone at Old Blair's Chapel) pronounced (Essick Tyson) emanated. Issa was born in 1826 and died in Madison County in 1901. We have learned that his owner was grandson or greatgrandson of John (Mattison) Tyson and his wife Susannika who came from the British Isles in Wales. This grandson or great grandson we also believe was named John, Aaron or Benjamin and was a slave owner in Western Tennessee and may have been owned by a Tyson family member who had a son who served as a U.S. Postman for 40 years or so in nearby Denmark, Tennessee. If there are any Tysons who have information on this issue, we would TRULY appreciate a response. Our only purpose is to seek the African-country from which our ancestor came for the purpose of making a pilgrimage during one of our annual reunions. At this point, we believe we have to rely on Tyson (Tison) family Bible records. Thank you well in advance.

Re: John/Aaron/Benjamin Tyson-Madison County Tennessee-slave records

Neke Tyson-Wood (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2006 1:09AM GMT
hello gail,
my family is from jackson, tennessee and we may be related distantly. i am assuming that because my dad was born in madison, tennessee. i do not have any information for your project but i am very interested in seeing if we have a connection. i also majored in history so if you need any research help just let me know.

Neke Tyson-Wood (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 5:05AM GMT
hello gail,
i have posted a reply to you a few times, if you are anything like me you probaly do not check email that often, let alone check this site. i looked back on some of your postings and you definitely are my connection!! i would love to have that family history whenever you get a chance to send it and you can add me and my family (my daughter and husband) to your tree of descendants. if by chance anyone else knows gail please tell her to email me. neketyson@aol.com

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 2:05AM GMT
I am the great granddaughter of David Tyson that lived in Medon TN and died in 1957. I am unsure if you connected with my first cousin Gail but I am very interested in talking to you SOON!)

Please call me at 813-215-0949. Assuming we are family timing is perfect as we begin planning the 2012 Tyson Reunion.

What is your dad a name? And his dads name? What areas are your Tyson's in now?

Anxiously awaiting your call,

Valerie

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 12:59PM GMT
Surnames: Tyson, Padgett, Rosier
My Benjamin Tyson lived in Union Co.& Bradford Co., FL. He was b. ca. 1830 & died ca. 1900. Do not know his parents' names. His 1st wife was Susie Padgett of the same area - ca. 1830 - ca. 1862. Their dau. Frances Mary marr. John Berrien Rosier. Where is the Tyson Reunion held? Ann

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 8:21PM GMT
Greetings Ms. Floyd! Our reunion is held annually in Medon Tennessee, off of Route 18 on Collins Road just outside of Jackson,Tennessee which is smack dab in the middle of Nashville and Memphis. I'm not certain that your Benjamin is our Benjamin but I'll check with the powers that be in our family (the elders) and they'll set me straight. Did any of your people ever come from North Carolina or Tennesee? All my best! Gail

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 8:24PM GMT
Hey Cousin! Tysons, not to mention Taylors are FIERCE. If you check back into the archives from 2006, you'll be able to see my response to Neke. Proud of you Cousin, you've got it going on! Love. G.

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 8:40PM GMT
Hello!!
I saw your message but I have not a had a chance to call you. I will call over the weekend. I actually came just down to Jackson in April for a few days. I have heard about the annual family reunion and would love to get more info. Here is my email address neketyson@aol.com. I will talk to you soon.

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 9:44PM GMT
Gail,
Do you know what happened to Jay E. and Andrea Bumpus Tyson that lived in Jackson, Madison Co. We stopped by this summer but the telephone number in the phone book was not valid.
Thanks.
Frank Bumpus, bfb37@att.net

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 3:20AM GMT
I have traced my great grandmother(Sarah Tyson Taylor) back to Essic (Essa) Tyson, her father listed on her death certificate, her mother is Nancy Tyson. Thanks ever so much for the posting. I've had my DNA done by Ancestry only to find out that I'm 87% west african, 7% central european and 6% unknown. This does not narrow down the country or origin. I plan to ask my brother to submit to testing to see if it will clarify any uncertainty. Look like we might be related?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions