Search for content in message boards

Hugh Porter

Hugh Porter

Posted: 2 Jan 2008 3:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter, Bowie, Howie, Howard, Forbes
I'm searching for information about my ancestor, Hugh Porter. He was born June 12, 1791 in Abbeville, SC. According to Bibles and wills, we have concluded his siblings to be Charles B., William R., Andrew Springer, Mary, Rebecca Frances Porter Howie (Caldwell Howie), Cynthia Porter Howard (Stephen Howard), and Ann E. Porter Forbes (Arthur Forbes).
Hugh married Sarah C. Bowie (b. 8/22/1793) on Sept. 19, 1814. They and several other Porter families moved to Lauderdale County, Alabama around 1825. Hugh and Sarah and many are their descendants are buried in the Portertown Cemetery near Lexington, Alabama. We believe that Sarah may be a sister of Charles Wesley Bowie who also moved to Lauderdale County about this same time. She has a son, grandson, and other descendants named Charles Wesley. My father, Charles Wesley Porter, has Hugh and Sarah's family Bible and most of the information on all of their descendants.
One older family researcher has Hugh's parents as John and Mary A.E. Porter. Another non-family researcher believes the parents to be Andrew and Rebecca Burney Porter.
Does anyone have any information on this line of Porters?

Re: Hugh Porter

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Howie, Porter
The listing of Hugh Porter's parents as John and Mary may be incorrect. They were adopted when some of my records were posted through a nearby LDS library. We needed a set of parents to begin my collection of Porter information on the disk that was submitted at the time. The library was in danger of being moved unless there was sufficient number of records submitted. On many of my files there was inaccurate information listed. Some mistakes came about from having other persons key the information into their computers and then give me a disk. Over time, some of these errors have proved to be good copyright marks. Some persons unknown to me have copied some of my data from the LDS files and submitted them as their own research or families to ancestry.com and other sites without giving me or my sources any credit or acknowledgement. The proof of this comes from some errors that were recopied over and over without these submitter persons knowing of the error or of its original source, like I do.
If you are interested in working together, I will certainly welcome your correspondence and help.

Posted: 24 Dec 2009 2:21AM GMT
Hi--It was good to get a reply to my post! I have gotten most of my information from my dad, Charles Wesley Porter, who has worked for years on genealogy--long before the Internet. Anyway, he has correspondence from an older lady, Nauriece Howie Vaughan from Terrell, Texas. She is a great-granddaughter of Rebecca Frances Porter and Caldwell Howie, and she has in her information that Hugh Porter and Rebecca Porter's parents were John Porter, Jr. and Mary Ann E. She said she had gotten her information from an older relative who had done the reseach years earlier.
I have a copy of a will from Abbeville, SC for a John Porter which was witnessed 12/6/1824. His wife was Mary E.A. Porter. He lists a brother, Hugh. No children are mentioned, but the witnesses were C.B. Porter, Andrew S. Porter, and Hugh Porter, Jr. So maybe John and Mary A.E. were an uncle and aunt--too much of a coincidence, I believe, of the witnesses being the same names as my Hugh's brothers who came to Alabama.
Maybe we can compare research finds and solve this mystery!

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: Howie, Landers, Vaughan, Riddle, Harrison, Briggs
Nauriece Howie Vaughan probably obtained some of her information from her cousins in Ovalo, Texas, Ludie Bell Landers, Mamie Ethel Landers Riddle, Della Abrigail Landers, and Ada Chaney Landers Harrison. They were involved in genealogical research in the 1930's and later. I don't know what happened to their research. I have copies of letters that they wrote to obtain information.
After Nauriece and her husband, Clayton, passed away, their papers went to her sister, Marion Howie Briggs of Terrell, Texas. I shared my work with Nauriece and she would tell me my errors, but I never got to see any of her work, except for a 1996 PAF file of Clayton's families. I still have that PAF file.
I have a family bible with Rebecca Porter Howie's handwriting listing the birth of her children, including John C. and Mary Ann E. Howie. I think that these two children were named for John C. and Mary Ann E. Porter.
They could have been an uncle and aunt to Rebecca or her own parents. Another daughter, Margaret had the E. middle initial. Rebecca's oldest son, James, lived west of Florence, very close to the ancestors of Clayton Vaughan. And of course, the Briggs line came from Lexington, Alabama. Rebecca did have a son named Andrew P. Howie, who could have been named for either Andrew S. Porter, or Andrew R. Porter. Did Rebecca have a sister named Mary who married a Mr. Freeman? My email is ronhowie17@hotmail.com

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 5:53PM GMT
I have a Burney Line. And have researched Burneys formany years will go to the genealogy and see what I can find??
The Burneys you have are in the correct place ,Lauderdail Al for me to check.

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: porter, burney
Thanks for your reply. Any help with connecting Burneys/Porters would be greatly appreciated!
Janie Porter Gomillion

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 10:22PM GMT
Ron,
It's been over three years since I last responded and was wondering if you are still doing any research? I lost my dad about a year ago, and it has rekindled my interest in the Porter family--my dad researched for years and gave me my interest and push to finish this line--if that is possible!!
I don't think I answered your last question. I have a sibling named Mary but no spouse.
I'm attaching some info from Porter wills in SC that I've found.
Janie

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 10:23PM GMT
Will of John Porter, Jr.
Estate of John Porter. Box 71 Pack 1754. Probate Judge Office, Abbeville, SC. I, John Porter, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, but weak in body, etc., I desire my plantation be sold with my notes and accounts to pay my just debts and funeral expenses and if this is insufficient, I desire my executor sell all my personal property except my carriage and horse, if this is insufficient they are to sell my negro family of Temperance, Jeffrey, Luvinda, and William can be sold without separation. If the sale of my slaves is not needed, they are to go to my wife Mary E. A. Porter. Wife to get carriage and horse with the negroes she had when we married, Peggy, Felord, Jemima, and Bina. I desire my brother, Hugh Porter, shall have the $110 due me on the 25th of Dec. also my watch. I appoint my wife executrix and friend Capt. Daniel Norwood and my brother Hugh Porter executor. Dated 19 Sept. 1824. Wit: C.B. Porter, Andrew S. Porter, Hugh Porter, Signed. J. Porter. Proved on oath of Charles B. Porter, before Moses Taggert, Ord. On the 6 Dec 1824. Sale held 22 Dec. 1824. Buyers: Femine Wiley, Henry Kerr, Hugh Porter, Abram Lights, Wm. Lomax Esq., John Adams, Capt. Downey, Benjamin Adams, Robert Conn, Hiram Moore, Wm. Sanders, Abran Lites, Robert C. Wilson, etc. Hugh Porter, Executor.

**Our Lauderdale Co. Hugh Porter left SC about 1825 with wife, Sarah C. Bowie Porter. Through Bibles and wills, it’s established that his siblings included Andrew Springer Porter , Charles B (Burney? ) Porter, and John Porter. This John, Jr. & Sr. aren’t our Hugh’s brother/father, but are they uncle/cousin?
Our Hugh’s siblings: Hugh (1791-1855), William R. (abt. 1793), John (abt. 1795), Rebecca Frances (1798-1868), Charles B. (1800-1870), Andrew Springer (1802 - ), Mary (1804-1865), Ann E. (1805 - ), Cynthia (1807 -).
Will of John Porter, Sr.
Will of John Porter [Source 210]

Box 71 Pack 1754, Probate Judge Office, Abbeville, SC. I, John Porter, being of sound and disposing mind and memory. I will that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid. I order that my plantation in Winston County, Orangeburge Dist. near the white pond lying on pond branch and Yarrow branch, containing 661 acres be sold. My desire is my family stay together on the plantation which they now live as long as they can in peace and quietness. I will the moveable property to be sold to the highest bidder. My wife Elizabeth to get her third part, with the remainder divided between my three sons, Samuel Norwood Porter, Hugh Porter, John Porter. I appoint my friend James Watts executor with my wife Elizabeth executrix. Dated 27 Dec. 1798. Wit: James Jones, Benjamin X Simpson, Thomas X Winn. Signed John Porter. Recorded 20 Dec. 1803. Est. appraised on 25 Jan. 1804, by Thomas Edwards, George Conner, James Pettus.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic