Search for content in message boards

Madison Marriages 1843 & 1851

Madison Marriages 1843 & 1851

Posted: 22 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 May 2004 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: GARNER, GARDNER, CULLUMBER
Researching Benjamin GARNER/GARDNER who married first in Madison County, OH, Martha CULLUMBER 24 Jul 1843, then upon her death, married her sister, Tobitha CULLUMBER on 15 Jan 1851. Would like to know Benjamin's birthplace, parents names and any other information. I have quite a bit from this period to his death I would be glad to exchange. Have very little on the CULLUMBERS and would welcome more. Just have a family group sheet on John Cullumber and wife Martha Ferguson and their 12 children: Allen, Thomas, Nancy, Mary, Martha, John Jr., William, Phenes, Tobitha, Malinda, Margaret and Alfred.

Re: Madison Marriages 1843 & 1851

Valerie Auld (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: HAYNER, PROBASCO, HORN, CULLUMBER, GIRTON, BUTLER
I have photos, etc. of Margaret Cullumber and her brother and more info on this family. PLEASE contact me as I have been searching for Margaret's (my gg-grandmother) family of origin for years. She and her younger brother were raised by another family (Chenoweth) as her parents both died before she was grown as they were the last of a long line of children. I look forward to hearing from you!

Valerie Auld
Prairie Village, KS

Pat Daugherty (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2001 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Cullumber,Callender,Colver, Garner
Several years ago I researched the Callender family and found the Cullmber family living in the same area Fairfield twp. Madison county. I have some info on both families. Also are your Garners related to the ones from Greene co Ohio if so have limited info on them.
Pat Daugherty

Posted: 29 Dec 2001 6:12PM GMT
Hello,
I would be very interested in what you have on the Cullumbers in Fairfield, Madison County, Ohio. Do you think the Callender family and the Cullumber family are one and the same? Re: my Garners, I am searching for where they lived prior to Benjamin's marriage to the Cullumbers in 1843 and 1851, so could possibly be from Greene County.
Looking forward to hearing from you. My email address is garnerdk@att.net.

Thanks so much.
Darlene Garner

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 12:46AM GMT
Do you know if the Nancy, who is the daughter of John Cullumber and Martha, married Elijah Lilly in 1836 in Madison Co, OH?

Nancy and Elijah then moved to Hancock Co, IL where Nancy died. Elijah and Nancy had 7 children 1 daughter Rebecca and the rest sons. All of their sons died, some young and 2 in the Civil War and Rebecca was the only one left of their children. Elijah lived with Rebecca and Marcellus Brown after moving to Wayne Co, IA. I have quite a bit from Elijah on if this family fits the one you are talking about.

Also, do you know of this John Cullumber was a Corporal in the War of 1812? Ancestery.com shows a John Cullumber Corporal in the Ohio Militia.

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 3:36PM GMT
Yes, this is the same Nancy who married Elijah, who went to Iowa and lived with his daughter, Rebecca and her husband Marcellus Brown.

I don't know if this is the same John Cullumber who served in the War of 1812? I saw that too in Ancestry.

I'm going to Salt Lake City in a couple of days for a week of research and will be doing just a little bit on the Cullumbers. Will let you know if I find anything. I'll be looking in the church records in Calvert County, Maryland (the area where he was born).

I found quite a lot of information in a Madison County History book on the Cullumbers and am not too interested in going off any further on the family, other than John. It is not a direct line - my husband is a great-grandchild of Benjamin Gardner's third wife, Barbara Myers. Thanks anyway.

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 1:18PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jun 2003 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: Cullember
It is unfortunage that Calvert County, MD civil records suffered from three fires. There was one in 1748. The records after that date were burned by the British troops in 1814. What few items survived provided fuel for the fire of 1882.

Mildred Bowen O'Brian published a book in 1978: Calvert County, Maryland, Family Records 1670-1929. It purports to include church, tombstone, family bible records and court house records for the county. There are a number of early church entries for Cullembers with spelling variations. I have copies of these entries. However, none of the entries mention a John Cullember who could be ours. I will be happy to share copies of the Calvert County material with anyone who is researching John Cullember's descendents.

I have, by the way, found no actual proof that John was born in MD at all. I have looked at the 1880 census records for all of his surviving children to see where they thought their father was born. His children listed NJ, VA, OH and MD and another state which I have currently forgotten.

irishstock (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2002 2:04PM GMT
Thanks June for that information. I would be interested in looking at the copies from Mildren O'Brian's book to see if anything fits in with the information we currently have..which isn't much. You never know when a sentence or comment will connect with other information.

It sounds like this family might be extremely difficult or impossible to document early on.

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 2:38PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jun 2003 11:29PM GMT
Your comments are quite accurate. I have collected early Cullember information for almost 15 years. I have the slimmest file you can imagine for 15 years work.

June Byrne
junebyr@aol.com

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 11:01PM GMT
June and p Irish: I'm glad I'm not the only one having difficulty locating John Cullumber. Also had to laugh at the various states he was supposedly born in per children. My Benjamin Gardner who married Tabitha (John Cullumber's daughter), says himself on 2 different censuses that he was born in Delaware and Maryland, and his kids have added on NJ, OH and even Scotland! Guess he and John and their families don't know where they're born. Hopefully I can find out something in Salt Lake this next week and if so will pass along.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic