Search for content in message boards

Collins Settlement

Collins Settlement

Char Matthews (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMITH, TENNEY, ROWAN, ROHRBAUGH
Can anyone tell me where in Lewis County that Collins Settlement is or was?

Collins Settlement

Posted: 14 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 10:13PM GMT
I believe Collins Settlement was in the area of present day Duffy, WV. My grandmother was born in Collins Settlement but I have not had a chance to research that yet. Somewhere on the web I found an old map that showed the Collins Settlement but I can't put my fingers on it now. There was a school there called Big Run and it was near Fort Pickens, a Civil War fort, headquarters of 10th WV Infantry, Co. A.

Steve Stump
ssstump@bellsouth.net

Collins Settlement

David McC. Mackey (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McClain, Bennett
From http://www.walkersvillewv.com/collins.htm

Collins Settlement District is the most southern in Lewis County; it is bounded north by Court House and Skin Creek districts, east by Upshur county, and south and west by Braxton and Gilmer counties. The northern and middle portions are drained by sand fork. Right fork and Left fork, the upper tributaries of the West Fork river, while the southern portion is watered by Gauley fork of the Little Kanawha.

(note: If you're not from W.Va., note that districts are a county subdivision that's equivalent to a township)

Collins Settlement

Posted: 28 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WARNER
David,

Thanks for the info on Collins Settlent. I appreciate it. It sounds as if you may have gotten that from a book. If so, would you please let me know the title of it?

Thanks,

Steve Stump

Collins Settlement

Posted: 29 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Oops,

I just skipped right over that part passing it off as just part of the message administration details. Thanks.

Collins Settlement District

David McC. Mackey (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McClain, Bennett
The Web page identified by the URL in my message above says the extract came from the West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia, Supplemental Volume 5.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions