Search for content in message boards

Connor and Owen Dowd: father and son or brothers?

Connor and Owen Dowd: father and son or brothers?

Posted: 3 Jul 2009 12:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowd
My cousin was doing some research in the North Carolina archives when she ran across a petition from Judith Dowd, Owen's wife. Judith is asking for some land that was owed to Owen, because Owen took care of Connor's accounts and debts in Ireland. She refers to Owen as being Connor's brother twice. This petition was made in 1789.

Then recently I have heard a family story that says Connor, John, Charles and Owen were brothers. Connor, John and Charles came to NC first and were followed later by Owen.

Everything else I see says that Connor and Owen were father and son, but no one gives any sources to back this up. Although Connor says his son was killed in the Revolutionary War on the side of the Loyalists, he never mentions Owen by name. Also, there is never a first name given to the Dowd that was killed at Lindley's Mill in 1781.

Does anyone have any information or sources that would put this puzzle to rest?

Catharine

Re: Connor and Owen Dowd: father and son or brothers?

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Dowd
Sorry I can't help you, but perhaps you can help me. I have recently proven that John Dowd b.ca 1779, d.ca 1852, married Mary? was my 3rd great grandfather. Is this John a son to Connor? Do you have any info you would like to share on this family? Would be greatly appreciated.

Patsy Stevens
399 State Rd MM
Buffalo, MO 65622

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 9:18AM GMT
Contact me at the following address, I can answer lots of your questions. grebe316@hotmail.com If you would provide your mailing address and phone number, I would appreciate both. My mailing address is 316 North Salem Street Apex, NC 27502_1432 phone 919 363 8980 Hope to hear from you soon, Catherine.

Posted: 26 Jun 2010 5:41AM GMT
Well if it is anything like my family then there are probably 8 men with the exact same name. It is very likely that this Connor had a father, brother, and son named Owen. He may have even had a daughter named Owen! lol It can be so frustrating when everyone in the family has the same name! Then again my son is named after my brother and my husband's brother so I guess we kept the madness going...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic