Search for content in message boards

BROSNAHAN(Bresnahan)/Stokes

BROSNAHAN(Bresnahan)/Stokes

Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Feb 2002 6:21AM GMT
Surnames: BROSNAHAN, BRUSNIHAN, STOKES
I sure don't see many people searching the BROSNAHAN surname in Cork.
My gg grandfather, John Wm. Brosnahan(b.1828-1838) married Julia Stokes(b.1828-1838). I am guessing that John and Julia were married around 1858.
They had these children: Patrick J.(b.1858), Benjamin(twin of Patrick, b.1858), Ellen(b.Aug1860), Bridget(b.?), Hannah(b.?), Thomas(b.6Mar1866), Julia(b.7Sept1868), Michael J.(b.1877).
This family has been found in records in the Tullylease, Milford area of Cork.
It's possible that Thomas never immigrated. I don't have any proof that John Wm. and Julia did either.
Patrick J., Benjamin, Ellen and Michael J. all immigrated to the U.S. The 1st three came around 1882 and Michael J. came around 1890.
The two siblings, Julia and Bridget were believed to be in the order of the "Sisters of Mercy" and ended up in Brisbane, Australia, as did the other sibling, Hannah, who married and had children. Hannah had a daughter with the married name of "Mrs.Cleary".
I would sure like to correspond with other people who are researching the "BROSNAHAN"(Bresnahan, Brusnihan)surname. Also, any connections with Julia Stokes(b.1828-1838) who may have had a brother by the name of Benjamin Stokes.
I have a lot of info on the ones who came to the U.S., if you think this family connects to yours, that I would like to trade or share with info. for the ancestors in Ireland.
Ginny Pierce
Willow, Alaska
pierce@mtaonline.net

Re: BROSNAHAN(Bresnahan)/Stokes

J.M. Nesbitt (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2001 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Bresnahan, Healy, Nesbitt
My GrGrandmother was Katherine(Bresnahan) Healy. She was born about 1800, making her a generation older than yours listed. She was from Ireland (not where for sure)and believe about l830; she,her husband and several children came to the U.S: finally settling in Detroit, Mi. Any help? Do you have any info on this branch? jmn

Posted: 21 Aug 2001 6:27PM GMT
jmn,
I don't know of any of my Bresnahan relatives that settled
in Michigan. Also, the surname Healy has never arisen in my family tree, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help to you.
Good luck on finding your ancestors.
Ginny Pierce
researching: BRESNAHAN(BROSNAHAN), STOKES

Posted: 8 Nov 2001 5:47PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2001 1:12AM GMT
I have ancestors John Brosnahan and Julia Murphy- had son John Brosnahan married Maggie Shea both b. 1854 Ireland- married 1877 in Virginia City Nevada and both died in Butte Montana. I don't know about his sibling but he and wife had the follwing children. Let me know if you think there is any connection

| | (3) John J. Brosnahan
| | b. 1878, Virginia City (Storey) Nev.
| | d. 24 Nov 1952, Butte, Montana
| | & Annabelle Leary
| | b. 1880, nova Scotia
| | (3) Mary (Mariel) Brosnahan
| | b. 1881, Virigina City (Storey) Nev
| | & Jess Shelton
| | (3) Margaret (Madge) Brosnahan*
| | b. 1883, Nevada, Storey County (now Summit)
| | d. 24 Apr 1943, Butte, Montana
| | & James Shea
| | b. 1880, Virginia City (Storey) NV
| | d. 8 May 1939, Butte, Montana
| | m. 15 Jun 1904, Butte, Montana
| | div. aft 1913 bef 1916
| | (3) Margaret (Madge) Brosnahan*
| | b. 1883, Nevada, Storey County (now Summit)
| | d. 24 Apr 1943, Butte, Montana
| | & John Richardson
| | (3) Babe (Kate) Brosnahan
| | b. 1886, nevada, Storey County (now Summit)
| | d. aft 1952
| | & William Harlan
| | (3) Minnie (Evageline) Brosnahan
| | b. 1887
| | & Al Nugent

Posted: 9 Nov 2001 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: BROSNAHAN(BRESNAHAN), STOKES
Nancy,
Other than the surname, none of the names you listed are familiar to me. The locations are places that, to my knowledge, were not the places where my Bresnahan(Brosnahans)lived. Wish there was a connection, but at this point I don't see one.
My Brosnahans(Bresnahans)were living in St.Louis, MO., East St.Louis, IL, Huntsville, IN, Chicago, IL and possibly out in Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks for replying.
Ginny Pierce
pierce@mtaonline.net

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: Bresnahan Toomey
I am researching Bresnahan's from County Cork also. This is my line:

John Bresnahan b. 18 May 1836 County Cork, Ireland d. 18 Mar 1912 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. John married Mary Toomey who was b. 15 Aug 1837 in Fermoy, County Cork and d. 19 Jun 1927 in Ft. Wayne also.

John's father was Maurice and mother was Bridget Connell. I have no information as to whether they left Ireland or not. I know nothing about them at all.

John and Mary's children are:
John b. 18 Jan 1866 who married Florence
Mary b. 29 Dec 1869
Thomas b. 19 Aug 1871 m. Mary Callahan
Patrick (my g grandfather) b. 11 Mar 1873 m. Julie Flynn
Johanna b. 3 Aug 1862 m. Jule (or Julian) Stier
Edward b. 1881

Have you come across any of these names in your Bresnahan/Cork research?

Many thanks,
Diane

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 6:02PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2006 8:00AM GMT
Surnames: Bresnahan(Brosnahan), Stokes, Dunn, Cody, O'Keefe, Gilmartin, Lancaster
Dear Diane,
My gg grandparents were John Wm. Bresnahan and Julia Stokes. The area they came from in County Cork may have been Tullylease and Milford area. Do you know where in Cork your family came from? I have placed John and Julia's birthdates somewhere in the 1825 to 1835 area, based on the birthdates of their 8 children. Their children were Patrick J.(b.1858 or 1862), Benjamin(b.23Aug1856), Ellen(b.Aug1869), Julia(b.7Sep1868), Bridget(b.?), Hannah(b.?), Thomas(b.?) and Michael John(b.5Oct1877). Patrick, Benjamin, Ellen and Michael all immigrated to the U.S. in the late 1800s. Benjamin and Ellen settled in Indiana, which matches up with your ancestor being in Indiana. Patrick and Michael lived in St. Louis, MO and E.St. Louis, IL, respectively. Julia, Bridget and Hannah immigrated to Brisbane, Australia. Julia and Bridget were nuns in the order of "Sisters of Mercy" and known as "Sister Mary Margaret" and "Mother Superior Mary Michael". The only thing I know about Hannah is that she married and had a married daughter by the name of "Mrs. Cleary". I know nothing about Thomas, but there was a Thomas Bresnahan that lived in Indiana, also, just don't know if he's my Thomas.
All of the "given" names you gave are all names in my family. There is a good chance that our families were tied together, but I'd need to know where in Cork they came from.
Patrick J. married Josephine M. Dunn in St.Louis,MO on 17Nov1883. He was my gg grandfather. Ellen married Cornelius O'Keefe on 23Aug1882 in Tippecanoe Cnty., IN, Benjamin married Johanna Cody on 23July1884 in Tippecanoe Cnty., IN. Michael John married first, Mary Gilmartin on 23May1911 in Trenton, Clinton Cnty., IL, and 2nd, Bertha Lancaster on 27Aug1918 in Harrisburg, Saline Cnty., IL.
The only record I have that gives a specific place they were from in County Cork is the marriage record for Michael Bresnahan when he married Mary Gilmartin. It says he was from Tullylease, County Cork, Ireland. Tullylease is on the border of Cork and Limerick and not far from the border of Kerry.
Ginny Pierce
pierce@mtaonline.net

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 6:10PM GMT
Surnames: Bresnahan Brosnahan
Thanks so much for your reply Ginny.

What I know about my Bresnahans (Brosnahans) in Cork is that they come from a town called Boherbue. Another relative whose mother made the trip over said that the church and all of the records burned.

John Bresnahan, son of Maurice came to the U.S. with his two brothers Timothy and Tom when he was 18 years old. John went to work on the Pennsylvania RR laying track. Brother Tom disappeared shortly after arrival and was never heard from again.

John and wife Mary (Toomey) lived at 1219 Barr St., in Ft. Wayne in the early 1900's.

Diane

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 6:17PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2006 8:00AM GMT
Diane,
Where is Fort Wayne, IN, in relation to Fairfield Twnshp, Tippecanoe County, IN? Are they near one another?

Ginny Pierce
pierce@mtaonline.net

Diane Smitley Williams (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 7:26PM GMT
No, they aren't really that close. Allen County, where Ft. Wayne is located is on the upper eastern portion of the state and Tippecanoe is on the western portion and slightly south.

Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions