Search for content in message boards

Info. on Co. Sligo surnames

Info. on Co. Sligo surnames

Posted: 7 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Tonny, Tuoey, Tyffan, Tyler, Tarrells, Tyrells, Tyrell, Uncles, Underwood, Vance, Verdon, Verden, Verdan, Feely, Hughes, Wiley, Flin, Gore, Smiley, Solon, Finegan, McGolrick, Coen, Regan, Dolan, Heally, Gibson, Henery, Smyth, Ovail, Gallagher, Grady, Mullany, Hunt, Kimmits, Foley, Carraway, Parke, Fox, Conlon, Devins, McQuilkin, Grady, Gradey, Kivlanah, Cox, Grady
I have limited birth and marriage information on these surnames in Co. Sligo, through working with my own genealogy, that I am willing to share. When you e-mail me, please indicate Co. Sligo in your note. Thank you!

Dolan/Underwood

Posted: 26 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dolan, Underwood

Hi, Got my corrupted browser to work today, but I only have one entry. More entries can be obtained at the LDS (Mormon) FHC in the microfiched records for Co. Sligo, and the computerized records give additional information..

1. Francisca Underwood (male) christened 18 April 1860, parents Jacobi Underwood and Mariae Dolan, Co. Sligo, Calry, Roman Catholic.

Dolans of sligo

Sally Tolan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dolan
Any info on Dolans in Sligo county, sligo town especially. I would be very grateful.Thank you

Sally Tolan

Hughes

Suzanne Walpole (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Devins
County Sligo was the home of my great grandmother, Bessie McGoldrick. (1870-1950) Her father's name was Partick McGoldrick and her mother's name was Mary ? Devon or Devons or Devins. She married William Harold Hughes, possibly form County Westmeathe. Do you have any connection to these names?

Regan - Uncles

Posted: 7 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Regan, Uncles
I don't have any Regans or Uncles from Co. Sligo in my own family, just these few entries from a microfiched index ( LDS/ Mormon Family History Center) regarding these surnames. Of of course, there would be many more. The FHCs have wonderful alphabetized birth, christening, and marriage information for each county in Ireland, plus computerized and microfilmed records worldwide.

Some Co. Sligo entries I happen to have at home:

1. Anne Jane Uncles born 16 April 1865 to Thomas Uncles and and Rebecca Regan, Co. Sligo, Carney.
2. Margaret Uncles born 16 July 1866 to Thomas Uncles and Rebecca Regan, Co. Sligo, Carney.
3. Marriage, Thomas Uncles to Rebecca Regan, 31 March 1863, Co. Sligo, Drumcliff.
4. William Uncles born 22 Jan 1864 to Thomas Uncles and Rebecca Egan, Co. Sligo, Carney.

Additional Regan, Uncles and other surnames are listed similarly in the Mormon FHC microfiched records along with alternate spellings of the surname, and you can make a copy of your surname lists right at the microfiche reader for a quarter a page, take them home for reference. Be sure and ask the Mormon volunteer to put the largest lens into the reader for ease of reading. Note, I do know that the spelling Unkles is often found, as well.

Co. Sligo - Regan

W. David Regan (View posts)
My grandfather was John Regan of Co. Sligo and I have a small amount of information re the Regans. What are you searching for?
Surnames: Hughes
I only have one listing for a Hughes in Co. Sligo on my information here at home, but you can find lots of information on your surnames in the microfiched Co. Sligo records at the LDS (Mormon) Family History Centers, free and open to the general public with a "gold mine" of Irish records that includes microfiched, microfilmed, and computerized records.

1. Marriage, Garretus Hughes to Brigida Tonny, 26 Oct 1866, Co. Sligo, Calry, Roman Catholic.

Hughes researchers might want to keep an eye on the Mc Hugh surname as often the prefixes "Mac" and "O" were dropped in Ireland, also many surnames were misspelled - just some things to keep in mind.

Devins/Davys

Surnames: Devins, Davys, Hughes
Property owners in Co. Sligo in the 1870s included:

1. Michael Devins, address given only as Sligo, owned 1 acre in Co. Sligo valued at 2 pounds 5 shillings.
2. Vernon Davys, address given Stephen-street, Sligo, owned 8 acres valued at 62 pounds 5 shillings.

I did not find a listing for a Hughes landowner in the 1870s, on material I found in a genealogy reference book.

CORRECTION TO ABOVE

Posted: 8 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coen, Coan, Gallagher, Tyrrell

Correction to above post at Co. Sligo, Ireland Genconnect Queries website:

I mistakenly said Co. Leitrim, when I meant Co. Sligo - my post was in reference to Co. Sligo, Ireland records.

Coen/Coan - Gallagher/Tyrrell

Posted: 8 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coen, Coan, Gallagher, Tyrrell
I have a few listings on individuals with these surnames in Co. Leitrim, but the LDS (Mormon) Family History Centers, free and open to the general public and located in most towns in the USA and elsewhere, have extensive microfiched, microfilmed and computerized records for each county in Ireland as well as worldwide.

1. Patritius Tyrrell, (male) christened 07 June 1860, parents Patritii Tyrrel and Sarae Cohen, Sligo, Calry, Roman Catholic.
2. Marriage, Eleanor Gallagher to Thomas Coen, 07 Feb 1863, Sligo, Sligo.
3. Marriage, Eleanor Gallagher to Thas. Coen, 07 Feb 1863, Sligo, Toomour.
4. Marriage, Pat Gallagher to Catherine Coen, 03 June 1848, Sligo, Sligo.
5. Marriage, Patt Gallagher to Catherine Coen, 03 June 1849, Sligo, Toomour.
6. Marriage, Peggy Gallagher to John Coen, 06 May 1850, Sligo, Sligo.
7. Marriage, Peggy Gallagher to John Coen, 06 May, 1850, Sligo, Toomour.
8. Marriage, Jas Gallagher (male) to Kelsey Coan, 02 July 1844, Sligo, Sligo.

These entries were from Mormon microfiched index please check computerized records for more information. I can't explain the possible "double" entries, possibly record was entered at two locations, and there is one that may or may not be the same couple with a one-year discrepancy on the index. If I were you, I would spend an hour at the FHC looking at the Co. Sligo microfiched records. They are alphabetized, and you can photocopy a list of your surnames (birth/marriage info.) right at the microfiche reader for a quarter! Ask the volunteer to put the largest lens in the machine for easy reading. That is all I have on your surnames at home. I looked and didn't find them listed as property owners in the 1870s in Co. Sligo either. Remember, many Irish surnames varied in spelling from record to record. The LDS FHC mirofiched entries also include variations in spelling of a surname, as well! Check the computerized Mormon records as they may very well lead you to a Mormon microfilm showing the original entry, especially, in the case of Catholic records, and you can view those films at the FHC; oftentimes, they list other family members as witnesses or godparents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic