Search for content in message boards

Industrial School for Boys, Hardin Co., Eldora, IA

Industrial School for Boys, Hardin Co., Eldora, IA

Posted: 22 Sep 2001 5:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Mar 2002 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: Thelen
Need to learn more about Industrial School for Boys at Eldora. Our ancestor Fred Thelen living there in 1900 census, age listed as 13 (birthdate we have was 1885, born in NY). He supposedly rode the Orphan Train from NY to IA. On his Social Security application he listed parents as Peter Thelen & Christina Dietrich. They were ages 80 & 70 and listed in 1900 Mitchell Co. IA census, so probably Fred's grandparents, instead of parents. But, were they his biological family?

Was the Industrial School for Boys by way of a correctional institute or orphanage, or what?

Would like to solve this mystery and will greatly appreciate help from anyone who has knowledge of the Thelen family in Hardin, Floyd & Mitchell counties, IA.

Is it possible to obtain records from Industrial School for Boys on our Fred Thelen?

Thanks much!

Nancy

Re: Industrial School for Boys, Hardin Co., Eldora, IA

Jeni Christensen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 4:47AM GMT
The Iowa State Training School for Boys has a published history which might be helpful. The school is a corrections facility which used to include a working farm and industrial school.

Roberts, Mary (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2001 12:24AM GMT
My father, Hugh Rice was also at the school, from ages 12 to 16. About 1907 to 1912 more or less) Today it is called Eldora Training School. Iowa's difficult children (boys) go there. It is not an orphanage. Let me know if you can get any information. One thing is, it takes a court order to be placed there. So look in the county court records for possible information, placing him there. I was unsuccessful.

Mary Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2001 12:26AM GMT
Jennie, how does one review the history of Eldora Training School? Directions would be nice and greatly appreciated. Census record showed by father there in 1910.

Jeni (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2001 4:28PM GMT
I'm not sure if there are any public records available since all students at the school are juveniles. You might try contacting the school itself. I have some relatives who work there and I'll ask them for who to contact.

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 8:01PM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2012 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Reed
Hi Nancy,
Were you ever able to find information? It looks like one of my relatives were placed here, but am not 100% sure.
Thanks

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 5:44PM GMT
Hello ChamberReed,
Were you ever able to get information about the Hardin County Industrial School? My Dad attended in the 1930's. There is now a little information on the Iowa GenWeb site that tells about the school -- it was not a correctional facility but a reform school (as they called it) for boys
6-16, some orphans, some not. There is more information available now on ancestry as the census of the 1930's and 40's are being released or check informaiton on Hardin County, Iowa. Let me know if I can help.

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 5:42PM GMT
I have been going through an old family journal. My uncle, by marriage, Fred F. Johnson was the farm manager for the Industrial School in the early 1900's. I have a few pictures of the school and an excerpt that I am transcribing from the journal if you are interested. You may email me at retiredworkerbee@hotmail.com

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 5:37AM GMT
Google the school. Iowa state training school for boys 3211 edgington ave eldora ia 50627. I was there in 2001 and in 2004-2005 they have tons of history records in the school and pictures also a cemetery of orphans who died there. All u have to do is call
per page

Find a board about a specific topic