Search for content in message boards

Nancy Clark Tn/Mo

Nancy Clark Tn/Mo

J. Clark (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2001 4:41PM GMT
Searching for Nancy Clark B:in Tn abt 1820 D: in Mo abt 1885. Possibly full blooded Cherokee.

cynthia clark

Sheila Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2001 7:24PM GMT
I know of a Cynthia Clark that was cherokee
indian. I am trying to find information on.
She was my great great grandmother. I know she had one son, Thomas Henson

Cynthia Clark

J. Clark (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2001 2:19PM GMT
I'm sorry, I don't think I can help you. The only Clark that I have so far is Nancy. She was married to C.E Hurst. Her parents were John Clark and Sarah Branch

nancy Rebecca Clark TN b.1828

Diane Mcgreevy (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2001 8:19AM GMT
My Nancy Clark married Madison Martin but I was wondering where your Nancy was from and if you had run into any info on my Nancy along the way. They are close in age and from TN. Anything would help. Thanks Diane
bmcgreevy@earthlink.net

Re: Nancy Clark Tn/Mo

Posted: 26 Oct 2001 11:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Great Grand Mother Nancy Victoria Clark Married a John Edward Franklin, but was later divorced. She remarried a man from Mo. whose name I do not know. She left MO and returned to East TN (Carter County) where she died. She is burried on Buck MTN Road in Western North Carolina. She had three daughter one of which was Elizabeth Pauline Franklin(Bass) She was said to be a Cherokee, but no evidence to support that claim that I have been able to find. If you know anything let me know and I'll try to help. Ken

J. Clark (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2001 9:14PM GMT
My Nancy Clark died in Fredricktown, Madison Co. Missouri. Abt 1885. Her Parents were John Clark and Sarah (Sallie) Branch. I know nothing of her siblings but do have her children by Calvin Hurst. We too, have rumors of her being Cherokee but no proof. Thanks for the reply, but I don't think we have the same Nancy. Joan

Karlyn May (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 7:22PM GMT
Joan: do you know who your Nancy Clark's parents were?
Do you have a birth date for her? I suspect some of the
Madison Co.,Mo. Clarks had ties to Wayne Co. Clarks.
Karlyn May

Ken (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Franklin, Mcall, Wise, Hicks,Shoemaker

Descendants of Jerimiah Clark

Generation No. 1

1. JERIMIAH1 CLARK was born 1790 in nc. He married MARY ANN MCCALL, daughter of JOHN MCCALL and UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1805.

Notes for JERIMIAH CLARK:
Died in the poor house in Mitchell Co. NC

Children of JERIMIAH CLARK and MARY MCCALL are:
2. i. FRANCIS MARION2 CLARK, b. 1832, yancey co. nC; d. June 27, 1862, Civil War.
ii. JOHN WESLEY CLARK.
iii. JAMES W. CLARK.
iv. EVALINE CLARK.
v. LEVI CLARK.
vi. ELIZABETH CLARK.
vii. SAMUEL C. CLARK.
viii. ROBERT PATTERSON CLARK.

Generation No. 2

2. FRANCIS MARION2 CLARK (JERIMIAH1) was born 1832 in yancey co. nC, and died June 27, 1862 in Civil War. He married FRANKIE WISE, daughter of JOSIAH WISE and MARGARET DAVIS. She was born Abt. 1833.

Notes for FRANCIS MARION CLARK:
He was called Marion.
He was in the 37th. NC Infantry Co. E under Captain William Young Farthing and were called the NC Minute Men. And was reported missing in action or presumed dead at Gains Mill, Virginia on June 27, 1862.

Notes for FRANKIE WISE:
She married Roby Brewer after Marion died.

Children of FRANCIS CLARK and FRANKIE WISE are:
3. i. JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3 CLARK, b. Abt. 1855, Crossnore, NC.
ii. JERAMIAH GIPSON CLARK, d. Gipson, Kansas.
4. iii. DORCUS VIRGINIA CLARK.
5. iv. NANCY L. DYSON CLARK.
v. SARAH E. CLARK.
vi. JOHN W. CLARK.

Generation No. 3

3. JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3 CLARK (FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born Abt. 1855 in Crossnore, NC. He married (1) MARGARET MAGGIE HICKS, daughter of CALVIN HICKS and MATILDA HOLTSCLAW. She was born Abt. 1880 in nc. He married (2) SUSANNAH HICKS Bef. 1883 in Nc, daughter of JOEL HICKS and SARAH PRESNELL. She was born 1856.

Notes for JACK FRANCIS JACKSON CLARK:
Jack moved to mexico and then back to NC . He married Maggie who had one child Murphy Shoemaker. Jack and Maggie had 2 children. Richard, Irene.
Then Jack married Susan Hicks cousin of Maggie. and had 7 children, Nancy Victoria being one of them. Jack had a hairlip.

More About JACK FRANCIS JACKSON CLARK:
Burial: White pines Cemetery

Notes for MARGARET MAGGIE HICKS:
1910 Carter County census says that Maggie Hicks divorced HOH age 26 son Murphey age 5 born in NC

Children of JACK CLARK and MARGARET HICKS are:
i. RICHARD POOCH4 CLARK.
ii. MURPHEY SHOEMAKER, d. 1987, Chama, Rio Arriba.

Notes for MURPHEY SHOEMAKER:
He was born before Maggie married Jack Clark

6. iii. IRENE CLARK.
iv. STAFFORD CLARK.
v. MON TROY CLARK, d. New Mexico.
vi. ELENOR CLARK.

Children of JACK CLARK and SUSANNAH HICKS are:
7. vii. NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK, b. 1883, nc; d. 1951.
viii. MANARKEY NARKIE CLARK, m. (1) WHITE FIELDS; m. (2) JOE PHILLIPS.

More About MANARKEY NARKIE CLARK:
Burial: Crossnore, NC

8. ix. LUTHER M. CLARK, b. March 18, 1885; d. February 13, 1963.
9. x. SUDIE ANN CLARK, b. November 20, 1894, Roan Mtn. Tn.; d. December 15, 1972, Morganton, NC.
xi. JOHN LEE CLARK, b. Abt. 1899; d. New Mexico.
xii. ROY CLARK, b. Died young man; d. 1898.
xiii. FRANCIS PEARLINE CLARK.

4. DORCUS VIRGINIA3 CLARK (FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) She married JORDON JERD HICKS November 24, 1879, son of ANDREW HICKS and LUSCYNTHIA WINTERS. He was born 1860.

Children of DORCUS CLARK and JORDON HICKS are:
i. SARAH GENEVA4 HICKS, b. April 18, 1900; d. January 11, 1989; m. WILLIAM ARTHUR VINES.
ii. JULIE ETTA HICKS, b. January 30, 1884.
iii. MINNIE BELLE HICKS, b. October 26, 1890.
iv. MACK HICKS, b. July 5, 1893.
v. NORA ETHYL HICKS, b. January 25, 1886.
vi. RACHAEL LURETTA HICKS, b. September 17, 1904.
vii. WILLIAM CLINE HICKS, b. August 12, 1907.

5. NANCY L. DYSON3 CLARK (FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) She married (1) JIM GWYNN. She married (2) DAVE HICKS.

Notes for NANCY L. DYSON CLARK:
She was a midwife

Children of NANCY CLARK and JIM GWYNN are:
10. i. WILL4 GWYNN.
ii. HESTER GWYNN, m. WILL LEE.
iii. JANE GWYNN.
11. iv. BOBBY GWYNN.

Child of NANCY CLARK and DAVE HICKS is:
v. FRED4 HICKS.

Generation No. 4

6. IRENE4 CLARK (JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) She married EARL HICKS.

More About IRENE CLARK:
Burial: White pines Cemetery

Child of IRENE CLARK and EARL HICKS is:
i. JOE F.5 HICKS.

7. NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK (JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1)1 was born 1883 in nc1, and died 19511. She married (1) MELTON ASHLEY. She married (2) JOHN EDWARD FRANKLIN 1906 in Cranberry, NC, son of ANDREW FRANKLIN and MARY WINTERS. He was born February 17, 1877 in watagua Co. NC, and died October 20, 1948.

Notes for NANCY VICTORIA CLARK:
She was married to John Franklin first.

More About NANCY VICTORIA CLARK:
Burial: taylor cemetary,elk park,n.c.1

More About JOHN EDWARD FRANKLIN:
Burial: Taylor cem. on Buck Mtn, NC side

Children of NANCY CLARK and JOHN FRANKLIN are:
12. i. FLOSSIE GENEVA5 FRANKLIN, b. December 17, 1904, Shell Creek, Ten.; d. January 18, 1958, Glouster Va..
13. ii. CHARLES FRANKLIN, b. 1910.
iii. MINNIE FRANKLIN, m. WILL HAMBY.
14. iv. GLADYS FRANKLIN, b. September 12, 1922.
15. v. LIBBY FRANKLIN, b. May 30, 1917; d. February 13, 1982.
16. vi. RUBY FRANKLIN, b. August 10, 1926.

8. LUTHER M.4 CLARK (JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born March 18, 1885, and died February 13, 1963. He married GERTRUDE PHILLIPS. She was born May 3, 1897, and died June 16, 1978.

More About LUTHER M. CLARK:
Burial: Newland Cemetary

More About GERTRUDE PHILLIPS:
Burial: Newland Cemetary

Children of LUTHER CLARK and GERTRUDE PHILLIPS are:
i. HOMER BUBBA5 CLARK, b. March 25, 1920; d. April 26, 1980.
17. ii. EDGAR CLARK.
iii. SON CLARK.
18. iv. RUTH CLARK.

9. SUDIE ANN4 CLARK (JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born November 20, 1894 in Roan Mtn. Tn., and died December 15, 1972 in Morganton, NC. She married DAVID ALFRED WINTERS June 10, 1909, son of MARION WINTERS and MARY WEBB. He was born June 8, 1890 in Elk Park, NC, and died December 1, 1971 in Morganton, NC.

Children of SUDIE CLARK and DAVID WINTERS are:
i. CLEO W.5 WINTERS, b. June 27, 1916, Crossnore,NC; d. December 19, 1959; m. GRADY EVERETT OAKES.

Notes for GRADY EVERETT OAKES:
Sister of Clarence Winters' ( of Hickory) mother

ii. STELLA WINTERS, b. August 5, 1909, Shell Creek, Tn.; d. February 15, 1911, elk Park,NC.
iii. JOE JACK DILLARD WINTERS, b. July 12, 1911, elk Park,NC; d. January 26, 1981, Burke, Idaho.
iv. GLEN ALFRED WINTERS, b. September 14, 1928, newland, NC; d. October 5, 1985, Hickory, Nc; m. WILMA HOOVER; b. Yancey Co. NC.
v. PAULINE WINTERS, m. MONTE JOHNSON.
vi. DALLAS WINTERS.
vii. ELOISE WINTERS.
viii. FAIRY OSLENE WINTERS, m. THOMAS COOPER.
ix. REVONDA WINTERS, m. PINKNEY COOPER.

10. WILL4 GWYNN (NANCY L. DYSON3 CLARK, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) He married MARY JANE DUGGER.

Child of WILL GWYNN and MARY DUGGER is:
i. INFANT5 GWYNN, b. Stillborn.

11. BOBBY4 GWYNN (NANCY L. DYSON3 CLARK, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1)

Child of BOBBY GWYNN is:
i. IRA5 GWYNN, m. HORNEY.

Generation No. 5

12. FLOSSIE GENEVA5 FRANKLIN (NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born December 17, 1904 in Shell Creek, Ten., and died January 18, 1958 in Glouster Va.. She married (1) FOREST MCGINNIS. She married (2) DAVE WESLEY BRIGGS1 June 9, 1919 in shell creek,tn.1, son of ROBERT BRIGGS and MARY ASHLEY. He was born January 9, 1905 in Shell Creek, Tn.1, and died April 4, 1942 in Fossil, Utah1.

Notes for FLOSSIE GENEVA FRANKLIN:
She married Dave Briggs first when she was 15 and so was he. Then she married Forrest after Dave was killed in a logging accident.

More About FLOSSIE GENEVA FRANKLIN:
Burial: Taylor Cem. on NC side of Buck Mtn.

Notes for DAVE WESLEY BRIGGS:
The story of his death is that the rigger who was helping him, broke his foot and couldn't hardly work, so Dave changed places with him and let him operate the loader while Dave rigged it. And the guys foot gave way. and the whole load of logs fell on Dave and crushed every bone in his body. This happened on Good Friday and Dave lived until Easter.

More About DAVE WESLEY BRIGGS:
Burial: Isaacs Cem. Buck Mtn. shell creek tn.1

Children of FLOSSIE FRANKLIN and DAVE BRIGGS are:
i. ROBERT TAYLOR6 BRIGGS1, b. December 11, 1919, Shell Creek, Tn.1; m. BEETTA JO PATTEN1, December 15, 1942, auburn Washington1; b. June 28, 1924, Enid , Oklahoma.1.
ii. MARY KATHLEEN BRIGGS1, b. June 4, 19231; m. JOHN FRENCH HUGHES.
iii. JOHN DAVID BRIGGS1, m. SUSAN WYATT.
iv. CARL EDWIN BRIGGS1, b. June 5, 1928; m. ALMA LOUCILLE WEST.
v. HARRELL RICHARD BRIGGS1, b. September 23, 1930; d. December 19, 2000, Sagle. Idaho; m. (1) MARY ALICE HUDGES; m. (2) SARAH ELDRED.

More About HARRELL RICHARD BRIGGS:
Burial: Westmen Ce, Sagle, Idaho

13. CHARLES5 FRANKLIN (NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born 1910. He married RUTH HYDER 1932.

Child of CHARLES FRANKLIN and RUTH HYDER is:
i. ANN6 FRANKLIN.

14. GLADYS5 FRANKLIN (NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born September 12, 1922. She married RALPH STITT.

Child of GLADYS FRANKLIN and RALPH STITT is:
i. LARRY JOE6 STITT, b. December 22, 1940; m. BARBARA ALLEN.

15. LIBBY5 FRANKLIN (NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born May 30, 1917, and died February 13, 1982. She married LAWRENCE EDWARD BASS.

Children of LIBBY FRANKLIN and LAWRENCE BASS are:
i. JAMES6 BASS.
ii. KENNETH RAY BASS, b. May 2, 1940, Carter Co. TN; m. CORNEILA POOLE.
iii. JOANN BASS.
iv. WILLIAM HERBERT BASS.

16. RUBY5 FRANKLIN (NANCY VICTORIA4 CLARK, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) was born August 10, 1926. She married ELMER SIMMERLY July 3, 1947.

Children of RUBY FRANKLIN and ELMER SIMMERLY are:
i. MICHAEL JEFFERY6 SIMMERLY, b. November 23, 1949.
ii. PAMELA DENISE SIMMERLY, b. September 26, 1951.
iii. TIMMY GREG SIMMERLY.

17. EDGAR5 CLARK (LUTHER M.4, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1)

Child of EDGAR CLARK is:
i. ED6 CLARK, m. HILDRED CROWE.

18. RUTH5 CLARK (LUTHER M.4, JACK FRANCIS JACKSON3, FRANCIS MARION2, JERIMIAH1) She married UNKNOWN ISAACS.

Children of RUTH CLARK and UNKNOWN ISAACS are:
i. NANCY6 ISAACS.
ii. BARBARA ISAACS.

Posted: 11 Feb 2002 10:10PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2003 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Clark
Ken:My Clark line goes as follows:
1.Francis Marion Clark b.1770-1780 unknown where, possibly N.C., Tenn., or Virg. he married Mary (Polly)Shelton 1801, Jefferson Co.,Tn. they removed to Wayne Co.,Mo. spring of 1804 settling a Spanish Land Grant, he was among the 1st of 6 settlers there. In the 1830 census there was a Moses Clark b.1760-1770;George Clark 1790-1800; John Clark 1790-1800; and my Francis M. 1770-1780. George and Moses disappear after that census. Francis died about 1834. The court-house in Wayne Co. has burned 3 times leaving no records. It is my assumption that Moses and Francis were brothers and John and George may have been sons of either, that is if Francis had been married before Mary.
My quest is to try to locate siblings of Francis Marion in either
Cocke or Jefferson Co. or in N.C. and parents would be a big plus. Apparently, my Clark's were in Tn. very early perhaps when it was still a part of N.C. I don't know if we have a connection if so it would be Jerimiah and Francis as brothers.
Do you have any thoughts?
One other note a cousin several years ago found a land warrant of a William Clark No. 139 180 acres, Oct 21, 1783 it being located in Green Co. on the Broad River. (later becoming Cocke Co.) then he transferred the land to Francis Clark 6th of March 1786. I have not tried to document this info. and, but would like to try.
The name Francis Marion Clark is 5 generations long here in Mo. If you need any other info. to try to determine if we may have a connection please let me know. Thank you for the message. Karlyn May maystl@hotmail.com

Ken (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 11:31PM GMT
I would like to give credit which I did not do before to Barbara Briggs who did the research on the Clarks, Winters, and Franklins. The research that she has done is tremendous.... Thanks cuz.......
per page

Find a board about a specific topic