Search for content in message boards

Emery Jones, f/o Lucy Jones, Royalton, VT

Emery Jones, f/o Lucy Jones, Royalton, VT

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 3:35PM GMT
Seeking information on ancestors and descendants of (and information regarding) Emery (Emory) Jones (b. abt 1810/12 in ___, d. ____), who married first Melissa ____ and had possibly six children and married about 1855 second Lydia (Ellen) George, with whom he had children Willie (b. abt 1855), Lucy (b. Aug 1856 in Williamstown, Orange Co., VT, d. 1944 in ____), and George F. (b. abt 1859).

1830 Census, Marlboro, Windham Co., VT, shows Emery as head of house, with 1 - 1 - 1 - 1, which accounts for Emery, wife, and two children.

1840 Census, Dover, Windham Co., VT, shows Emery as head of house, with 2 - 1 - 1 - 1. Patty Jones (male ? female ?) was residing as sole member of household next in listing to Emery; relationship is unknown.

1850 Census, Williamstown, Orange Co., VT: Emory Jones, 39, farmer, and Melissa Jones, 21. It is possible, given his age of 39 at this time, that Melissa was his daughter (mother unknown).

At the same time (1850), in Dover, VT, is Emery Jones, 3, residing with parents Nathaniel Jones, 53, and Sarah S. Jones, 42, Silas, 10, and Sylvia A., 6. Also in household is Chandler Jones, 18, relationship unknown.

1860 Census, Williamstown, Orange Co., VT: Emery Jones, 48, general laborer, and Ellen Jones, 29, wife; children Willie, 5, Lucy, 4, and George F., 1. This is the only Jones family in Williamstown and the Nathaniel and Sarah S. Jones family, with son Emery, 13, have removed to Jamaica, Windham Co., VT.

Lucy Jones was my great grandmother; she married first, 11 December 1877 in VT, John A. Spaulding, with whom she had children Clara B. (b. June 1878), Grace/Gracie Ellis (b. May 1884), Horace Alonzo (Ned) (b. September 1887), Alice Macale/May (b. July 1891). John A. Spaulding was a widower and Lucy (Jones) Spaulding was stepmother to Spaulding children Herbert Bennett (b. abt 1863), Frank Elmer (b. abt 1867), John L. (b. abt 1869), and Frederick (b. abt 1872).

Alice Macale/May Spaulding was my grandmother.

Lucy (Jones) Spaulding married second 21 November 1903 widower Caleb Haynes (as his third wife), who died in 1907, leaving her a widow for the second time. She resided in 1880 in Royalton, Windsor Co., VT.

It is also my belief that Lucy -- "Lucy A. Jones" -- then aged 13, was a dairy maid at the Church Family United Society of Shakers at Enfield, Grafton Co., NH, where she appears on the 1870 Census.

Willing to share / swap information on this Jones family. Thank you.

Re: Emery Jones, f/o Lucy Jones, Royalton, VT

Posted: 2 Jan 2005 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Mar 2006 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, George, Moses, Cleveland
I may have a connection to your Lucy I believe....

She married Henry E. George, a monuments agent and farm hand b. Washington, Vt. Sept. 1848, di Randolph, Vt. Apr. 1, 1916
married July 16 1872
Lucy A. Jones born Williamstown, Vt., 1856, divorced, Vt. June 15, 1883.

child (my gr. grandfather)= Edson E. b. Pittsfield, Vt. Mar. 16, 1874; living in Vt. in 1916 m. Cora Dorothy Moses (of Tunbridge, VT.. area, she is of a Moses and Cleveland line)

Does this match your time spans and or your Lucy Jones?
I thought the Jones family lived in the Williamstown and Northfield, Vt. area.

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 10:07AM GMT
Thanks for your response. I wish this were the answer, but it appears not.

My Lucy H. Jones was born August 1856 in Williamstown, Orange Co., VT, and died in 1944 in NH. She married first John A. Spaulding, 11 Dec 1877 in VT and had children Clara B. (Jun 1878), Gracie/Grace Ellis (May 1884), Horace Alonzo (Ned) (Sep 1887), and Alice May (Jul 1891). She married second, 21 Nov 1903, Caleb Haynes.

I believe that her parents were: Emery (Emory) Jones, b. 2 Mar 1805 in Dover, Windham Co., VT, and Ellen George (see below). She was his second wife about 1855. He was, according to the 1850 Williamstown Census, aged 39 and married to Melissa (aged 32), but in 1860, he was aged 48 and married to Ellen (aged 29).

The Dover VT Vital Records show "Emmora" Jones born 2 Mar 1805 to parents Eleazer and Levinah (Russell) Jones. They were married 1 Jul 1793 in Wardsboro (Dover) [Wardsboro VR]. Levinah was a cousin to Eleazar through his mother, Martha (Russell) Jones.

All that I can discern about Ellen George is, according to the 1860 Census, she was born about 1831. With husband Emery, she had children Willie (1855), Lucy (1856), and George F. (1859).

Tracking her family backwards is based on a lot of conjecture on my part, which I would be glad to discuss with you in detail in a private email, as it will be a long discussion ! Perhaps you can help me to either confirm or blow apart my theory.

Brenda

Posted: 3 Jan 2005 2:00PM GMT
It seems that lucy is still messing genealogical things up....with 3 marriages, but I think we have the same one...s

my Lucy was also married to those two people...Caleb Haynes and John Spaulding and 2 sources have said so, perhaps a citation you found was wrong...?

Or we both need to retrace....

Linda

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 5:48PM GMT
I agree that it looks like we have the same Lucy, particularly in light of the marriage history of her daughter, Alice Spaulding (who was my grandmother).

However, we have a timeline problem.

Lucy and John Alonzo Spaulding were married 11 Dec 1877 in VT. She was his second wife, as he had married first, about 1867 in VT, Sarah R. (Manning) Bennett, with whom he had children Frank Elmer (1867), John L. (1869) and Frederick (1872). Sarah brought one child to the marriage, Herbert Bennett.

As I stated, John A. and Lucy had four children, with Alice Macale/May born in 1891.

Herein we have the problem. Lucy married John A. Spaulding in 1877. John Alonzo Spaulding did not die until 8/9 Sep 1899 in Royalton, VT.

It would have been possible for her to have been married to Henry E. George in 1872, but NOT possible unless they were divorced by 1877.

Also, in July 1872, she would have been only 15 years old if she married then. Not impossible in those days, but not likely.

Lucy and her daughter, Alice, rarely had a cold bed, so Lucy promptly married Caleb Haynes in 1903. Following his death in 1907, to the best of my father's recollection of his grandmother, she remained a housekeeper for well-to-do elderly men for the rest of her days. One of my cousin's even has a fancy plate which came from one of those households.

Lucy is buried in the North Side Cemetery in Nottingham, NH, next to her daughter, Alice May (Spaulding) Merryfield. Her grave stone reads "Lucy A. Haynes 1857-1944," even though the year of her birth was more likely 1856.

Lucy, at age 13, was working in the dairy of the Shaker village at Enfield, NH, and at age 75, rooming with the McAllister family in Haverhill, Grafton Co., NH. There is no known family relationship with the McAllister family, so she must have been there performing some tasks for her keep.

Does this help? I have more on Lucy and her daughter Grace.

Re: Emery Jones, f/o Lucy Jones, Royalton, VT & Merrifield

Posted: 3 Jan 2005 6:30PM GMT
Aha...you said Merryfield!
I had that written down that those were the relative's names that I should be looking for..

An elderly relative of mine, now dead, had remembered those names and I think that they showed up in an obit. I think long ago I sent a query into Yankee magazine looking for Alice & Grace.

Am at work now, but will be looking this week into Lucy et al. and digging out the notes.
I am wondering if my gr. grandfather was staying in that NH region with them also. Edson (Eddie) George.

Re: Emery Jones, f/o Lucy Jones, Royalton, VT & Merrifield

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 8:10PM GMT
Alice May Spaulding, b 12 Jul 1891 in Royalton, VT, d. 14 Sep 1951 in Rochester, Strafford Co., NH. She was married first to a Jones, who died about 1914/15, with whom she had children Earl P.W. Jones (1911) and Beryl E. Jones (Mar 1913); married second about 1914/15 in VT to Frank Arthur Rollins, with whom she had children Lucy Lawrence Rollins (1915) and George Arthur Rollins (1918); and married third, [3 Aug 1926 in Concord, NH] Charles Harold Merryfield, with whom she had Isabelle Emma, Everett Harold, Shirley Faye, and Marjorie June.

Alice and Charles were my grandparents and Everett was my father (he passed in August 2003).

After you check your notes, get back to me and we'll compare frustrations!

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Lucy/Sapulding/Haynes
Hi there Brenda...have not had a chance to check more on this Jones connection, but will be in New Hampshire next week and hope to go and find graves. Do you have grave site for daughter Grace also?
Since Lucy was at the Shaker community does that mean she was an orphan?
Would love information re: dau. Grace. Does anyone have a good photo of Lucy? I would love to have just one for my records.
thanks for your time when and if you see my note.
Linda George Hall, Pownal, Vt.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 9:01PM GMT
I don't know if you are still working on this but, if you are, please contact me again as I have more info.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 1:19AM GMT
yes I am till interested in this line

Linda George Hall
Pownal, Vt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic