Search for content in message boards

Evans Family...

Evans Family...

Philip E. Evans (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans
Looking for any information on Orace Evans, his family, and relatives. SS records indicate him last in Petersburg, Pike County, IN. and that he died in Aug.1973. He was born on 18 June, 1909. Petersburg was the family home (as far as I know). Some related Evans's were in Misouri and Illinois.
At one time he was married to Ruth Fay Wilson from Flat River & St Louis, Missouri. He had a son, Orace Gene Evans, and I am his grandson.

Re: Evans Family...

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 1:33AM GMT
Surnames: Evans Dedman Willis Curtis Barnett Crane
I have your Orace in my tree. My step-grandfather, John C. Evans,his father was Lawson Evans who's brother was Lawrence, Orace D.'s father. Lawrence was married to Mae Willis. Lawson and Lawrence were the son's of Andrew L. Evans and Rowena Dedman. Andrew is the son of James M. Evans and Laura or she is sometime Louise Curtis. She moved back to Kentucky where she was from after Andrew's death and is not buried here. James M. came to the Winslow area sometime around 1830. James was married in Harrison County, Indiana and some of his children born there. He was a shoemaker in Winslow. His son Nathan was a Captain in the Civil War. Nathan was married to Paralee Crane. They were some of the original settlers in Winslow. His brother William was married in 1824 in Pike County so he was here before James. There was also a brother John A. who appears about the same time as James M. I have at least 55 Evans from this original family buried at Oak Hill Cemetery near my home. Your Orace D. is there. I have some photos.

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 5:55AM GMT
Whoops! Too many James and Nathan's. Laura Curtis Evans, James wife, married a Maston Hollon in Monroe Township. He is buried in Flat Creek Cemetery. There is no Laura there, but there is a wife. I will have to check on that and take some photos. She possibly could be with one of her children somewhere in the county, will have to check that further. Do not have all of their burial places on my tree yet. Nathan, Cynthia, John, Caroline, Andrew, George, James, Charles are all at Oak Hill, don't know where Margaret and Sarah are yet.

Posted: 20 Sep 2007 3:00PM GMT
I'm related to this branch of Evanses. Do you have any information on Wiley Evans, wife: Celia Sturgeon, or James Evans, wife: Ruth Griffith?
I can't find any info on this line of Evans, I know they existed as I visited Pike Co, Indiana a few years back and did find line. Their was a Joseph W. Evans b. 1838 and married to an Emeline Comer. They had a son Eddie Evans.

Would appreciate any info.

Posted: 21 Sep 2007 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Evans Griffith
Hi, I do not have a lot of information about Wyley Evans. I don't think he was a direct ancestor of my Evans line. I do have him in some copies of the old census I have as early as 1830 and as late as 1870, 1870 lists some children as well. I do have some graves of the James - Ruth Evans in a copy of an Evans cemetery list I have. You should visit this website, there are a lot of Pike county records on line here. They have done a good job of putting info online. The Evans cemetery is here also.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~inpike/Pikegen.htm

Posted: 21 Sep 2007 9:21PM GMT
Thank you for the quick response. I have this information, just trying to connect Wiley, James and Griffith. and make some sense of the family tree. Would love to learn more about Wiley and possibly who his father was.

Thanks again

Posted: 27 May 2008 10:19PM GMT
Thank you rbeyke1 for the information... I guess that sort of makes us cousins! Any further info that you can supply would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been in Petersburg for probably 50 years. I really don't remember much about the Evans family there, as I was quite young at the time. I grew up primarily in California and never really learned much about my grandfather's family, really a lot more ingformation on my grandmothers.

My daughter and her family (now in California) are considering moving back to Indianapolis and I just may come back that way for a visit. I would like to see Pike county and gather information while there. I've been looking at house prices on the web, so who knows, I may just end up going to Petersburg to retire. Never know how things will work out.

Thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Philip E. Evans
philip-evans@usa.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic