Search for content in message boards

Tiernay

Tiernay

Tierney (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2002 5:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Any persons with any information on any Tierney family history PLEASE e-mail me @ eireira@hotmail.com!!!

Re: Tiernay

Posted: 21 Mar 2002 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: TIERNEY
are you looking for any one in particular in the TIERNEY family?

Joan Accardi (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2002 8:13PM GMT
I hope you can help find a thread for me. I want to find my grandmother's mother- Mary Tierney, who married Martin Quinn, a farmer. Since we assume my grandmother was born about 1874/5, and that her brother was older (we have no record), her mom would probably ave been born about 1840-50. I was told both names are like Smith and Jones, so I have no real information beyond this.Her brother got the farm and she moved to Oranmore to keep house for Stephen Quinn. He was a monk or priest who became a headmaster and national teacher; she married my grandfather there in 1901.Thanks in advance and best wishes to you.

Bob Tiernay (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2003 2:46AM GMT
I have some info on the Tiernay family tree. It starts at Jame Barracliff Tiernay b 7 Dec 1826 in London.

Bob

Re: Tierney

Cheryl Henderson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 2:24PM GMT
Hello Joyce

I wonder if you could help me with these elusive Tierneys?

My father was James Albert Edward Tierney born 1899 followed by a sister Mary Evelyn a couple of years later.
His father was James Tierney and mother Eliza Tierney (formerly Everington). In the 1901 census James gives his age as 29 and born in Sunderland. she was 32 under the name Annie M Tierney born Ely. I know she was born in 1862 in Barningham, Suffolk (birth certificate) married in 1882 to Alfred Holmes in Middlesbrough). I think she ran away with my grandfather and did not marry. He had a brother Thomas, died in Newcastle upon Tyne 1915 (Union Hospital) aged 38.
Approximately 1925 James disappeared, caught a ship at Birkenhead and was never seen again.
I have a post card addressed to my father in 1915 from Warminster, about coming home on leave, so I assume he was in the Gloucesters or one of the other regiments stationed there.
I have tried all records in Newcastle archives and can't find Thomas and James birth records that would tie in with the information given.
My father married Rubina Mary Graham in 1923 and had 4 children: Joyce, Mary, John and myself.
Grateful if you have any spare Tierneys that could be mine!
Regards
Thank you cheryl

JOYCE TIERNEY (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 5:09PM GMT
HI CHERYL,
SORRY YOUR TIERNEYS DONT SEEM TO FIT IN WITH ANY OF MINE YES I AGREE THEY ARE VERY ELUSIVE.
MINE WHERE BORN IN IRELAND AND MOVED TO BIRMINGHAM WHERE THEY ALL SEEM TO HAVE BEEN BORN IN THE 1800'S THEY DID MOVE AWAY TO LONDON AND LEICESTER BUT CANT FIND ANY WHO MOVED TO SUNDERLAND I'VE ALSO HIT THE BRICK WALL WITH MY SEARCHING BUT I I FIND ANYTHING OUT WILL LET YOU KNOW BEST OF LUCK
REGARDS JOYCE

cheryl henderson (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2004 9:53AM GMT
Hi Joyce

Thank you for your reply, I will just keep looking. Not having any relatives called Tierney apart from siblings it has been diffilcult. As grandparents seemed to lie about their ages and places of birth, the only Tierneys I can tie in for dates are in Chorley and Manchester (Original Index) and he disappeared from Birkinhead maybe I am in the wrong part of the country.
Once again thank you and if you need any help up in this neck of the woods please ask.

Regards Cheryl

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 5:10AM GMT
Surnames: Tiernay Barracliff Freer
According to the writing on a board on the back of an antique framed picture from c1855, Frances Louisa Freer ("Fanny Freer" b 1/23/1835) is a sister to Alfred Freer of Stourbridge. My research on this picture led me to discover that she was a direct descendant (18 levels down) from King Edward III 1312-1377. She married James Barracliff Tiernay of the Laurels near Stourbridge England. They had 8 children Mary Barracliff Tiernay 8/2/60 who married Francis Harvie Fowler, a vicar in Gloucester (who was alive as late as 1917). Another child Wilmot Freer Tiernay 03/1866; Arthur Hill Tiernay christened 5/12/1866; james Bramah Tiernay who may have married a Mary in 1890; Henry Barracliff Tiernay c9/10/67; Frank Tiernay b3/1864; Terence b1862 who may have married an Elenor and/or Mary and had a daughter Mary Brannah Tiernay; William Tiernay Dec 1862 and married Sept 1891 to Mabel Wilson-Green; Mary Barracliff Tiernay bSept 1860.

I am looking for direct descendants related to this womans picture. This picture looked like a young Mary Todd Lincoln in hairstyle and dress. Her beautiful clothes, jewelry and pose looks like a well to do 20ish lady of c1850's. I was curious who she was. Her lineage back to King Edward is well documented in Leicestershire Pedigrees & Royal Decendents pg 144 (do google search and it leads you to a pdf google book). I don't know who brought this picture to the USA and it ended up in an upscale Antique Store in Franklin. It is in an oval black frame and matted. It has a board on it's back and the writing is on the board.

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 5:15AM GMT
Surnames: Tiernay Barracliff Freer Fowler
According to the writing on a board on the back of an antique framed picture from c1855, Frances Louisa Freer ("Fanny Freer" b 1/23/1835) is a sister to Alfred Freer of Stourbridge. My research on this picture led me to discover that she was a direct descendant (18 levels down) from King Edward III 1312-1377. She married James Barracliff Tiernay of the Laurels near Stourbridge England. They had 8 children Mary Barracliff Tiernay 8/2/60 who married Francis Harvie Fowler, a vicar in Gloucester (who was alive as late as 1917). Another child Wilmot Freer Tiernay 03/1866; Arthur Hill Tiernay christened 5/12/1866; james Bramah Tiernay who may have married a Mary in 1890; Henry Barracliff Tiernay c9/10/67; Frank Tiernay b3/1864; Terence b1862 who may have married an Elenor and/or Mary and had a daughter Mary Brannah Tiernay; William Tiernay Dec 1862 and married Sept 1891 to Mabel Wilson-Green; Mary Barracliff Tiernay bSept 1860.

I am looking for direct descendants related to this womans picture. This picture looked like a young Mary Todd Lincoln in hairstyle and dress. Her beautiful clothes, jewelry and pose looks like a well to do 20ish lady of c1850's. I was curious who she was. Her lineage back to King Edward is well documented in Leicestershire Pedigrees & Royal Decendents pg 144 (do google search and it leads you to a pdf google book). I don't know who brought this picture to the USA and it ended up in an upscale Antique Store in Franklin. It is in an oval black frame and matted. It has a board on it's back and the writing is on the board.

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 12:43AM GMT
I have tiernay relatives with barracliff as a middle name
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions