Search for content in message boards

Gates Family in Brixton-Lambeth-Brentford

Gates Family in Brixton-Lambeth-Brentford

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 11:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello

I am looking for information on decendants of William Henry Gates Born 1852 in Portsmouth. William married Caroline Stevens Born 1853 in Purbright.

William came to Lambeth with his parents and siblings before 1861 as I have them on the 1861 Census living in Archbishops Place in Brixton.

William and Caroline were married in 1875 in Brixton and had 8 Children. William James B-1875. Elizabeth B-1878. Ernest George B c1879. Alfred B -c1882. Ada Mary B-c1883. Edith B-c1886
Louisa Caroline B-c1888. May B-1890.

William was still living in Archbishops place with his parents in the 1871 Census. He married Caroline in 1875 and they were recorded as living in Salop Terrace 3 Lyham Rd Lambeth for the 1881 census. The 1891 census had them at 2 Smiths Cottages Paddys Lane. William died in 1894 and his wife and children were recorded as living in Streatham for the 1901 census.

William Henry's Parents were William Gates Born 1823 in Midhurst and Mary Ann Hinks Born 1822 in Portsmouth.

William Henry's eldest son William James Gates ( my G Grandfather) Married Fanny Grace Cairns in the early 1900's and had 7 children that we know . They are (not in order of birth) Albert ( my grandfather) B-1911. Samuel-Joseph-George-Gladys-Dot and Victoria May B 1921. All these Children were born in the Brentford area.

William James Gates Died in 1925 and his wife Fanny died in 1955 both in the Brentford area.

Albert ( my grandfather) worked as a gardener for the Duke of Northumberland at Syon House for most of his life.

I am really stuck with my search for Gates connections and would be greatful for any help with my search.

Thank You

Ann

Re: Gates Family in Brixton-Lambeth-Brentford

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 6:04PM GMT
The Gates family seem to have originated in the Midhurst area.If you search on the Family Search.org site you will
find many of them. Also the Sussex family history group have CDs containing most of the info. I have tentatively got back to 1625.

Re: Gates Family in Brixton-Lambeth-Brentford

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Gates
Hello Ann,

I might be speaking under correction (because I haven't checked my tree before sending this reply) but I think there is a connection between your Gates' and mine simply because the areas you mentioned and the names are all the same as names and areas on my tree. I'm also in touch with another Gates family member so, if you're interested, I'll send you an invite to see my tree and put you in touch with the other researcher. I'm happy to share info and old family photos with you. Send me a PM when you have a chance.

Kind regards,
Sheri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions