Search for content in message boards

St. Kieran's cemetery records

St. Kieran's cemetery records

Posted: 20 Jun 2004 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
According to the housekeeper at St. Kieran's, the church has no records of who is buried in the cemetery located on the church grounds. She suggested that maybe they are at the county courthouse. I was wondering if maybe they are at the gfenealogical society for the county. Does anyone have any idea where they might be? I'm trying to find the burial place of my great-great grandparents, James & Mary (Dolan) Hennessey who are buried in that cemetery.. Tahnks in advance for any help you can provide.

Valerie

Re: St. Kieran's cemetery records

Posted: 30 Jul 2004 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: Fahey, Devitt, Gallagher, Hughes, Irwin, Miller, Lynch, Sweeney, McNamara
I was at St. Kieran's about 2 weeks ago. I am also looking for my gr. greats. It was nigh unto impossible to see any gravestones beyond the first few rows as the grass was as high as our necks at times. Someone told me that quite a few Mollie Maguires came from that area & may be buried there, hence, no one is in any hurry to cut the grass back. But I had an idea, that whoever keeps the grounds has most likely passed by every stone at least a few times & would be the person to get in touch with, perhaps someone there could get a message to the caretaker for you. There is only one nun & one priest residing there presently. I did call the phone number & talked with someone very nice, perhaps, the one nun. She may be able to get a messge to the caretaker. If I try & succeed, I'll let you know. Also, when I go back out again, I will look for you, but that may be for some time now & if the grass hasn't been attended to, I won't be able to see any stones. Please feel free to email me with any questions.

Posted: 30 Jul 2004 11:26AM GMT
I couldn't help but notice you are looking for information on the Lynch family? So am I! Tell me who you are related to?

Thank you,

Karen Lynch

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2005 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: DEVITT, FAHEY, GALLAGHER (GALLAHAR), SWEENEY, MILLER, LYNCH, MCAVOY & HUGHES FAMILIES
Karen, sorry for not responding sooner, but I was traveling quite a bit & then my computer died. I just now saw this notice as I was going down the Inbox list & deleting old mail. I know I am looking for a John Lynch & an Elizabeth Lynch. They were sponsors on two of my Devitt family members' baptism certificates from Schuylkill County, Minersville, St. Vincent de Paul's. Somehow, my Devitt, Miller, Gallagher, Fahey, Lynch, Sweeney, Hughes & McAvoy families are related. I will have to organize what I have & gt back to you. My program is on my home computer & I am at my work computer presently. Please feel free to email me at: patricia_bennett@ntm.org

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Devitt, Fahey, Miller, Sweeney, Gallagher, McAvoy, Hughes, Lynch & McNamara
I forgot to add that when I was in Schuylkill County in August I photographed quite a few tombstones at St. Kiernan's, Hckvl; St. Joseph's & St. Mauritius, Ashld; St. Ignatius, Cntrla; St. Vincent de Paul, Mnrvl; & St. Pat's, Ptsvl.. Also, a few years back I copied numerous records on all my family names at the Pottsville Library. If you can give me some of your Lynch info., I could see if I can add or help you out some. I also got a print-out on all the Lynches who were baptized at St. Patrick's, showing the parents & sponsors names, quite a long list. I'm from PA now living in MI, where are you? Thanks for responding, sorry it took me so long to reply, I just now saw the notice. Pat Bennett

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 11:28PM GMT
Thanks so much for emailing me back!

I have George Henry Lynch who was born in 1907 and married to Alice LaVerne Lloyd. George's father was John Lynch born in 1874. He was married to Mary and she was born in 1887. John's father was Bernard born in 1845. He was married to Ann who was born in 1847. Bernard's father was Philip born in 1785 in Ireland. His wife was Mary Lynch born in 1812 in Ireland. I got all of that from census records. Do you have any of those people? If so, I would love whatever information have!

Thanks,

Karen Lynch

Posted: 7 Dec 2004 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: Lynch, Miller, Sweeney, Fahey, Devitt, Carroll, Coyle, Gallagher & McNamara
The John & Mary may be a possibility. Let me check & I will get back to you a.s.a.p. I'll also check the church records from St. Pat's & the vital records from Pottsville Free Library. Thanks, Pat

Posted: 13 May 2005 7:54PM GMT
Hi,

I am just wondering if you have found any information yet?

Thank you!

Karen Lynch

Posted: 25 May 2005 10:14PM GMT
Surnames: Hinchey / Stanton / McLain / Cain / Sheehy / Fogarty / Gaughan / McGinley / Britt
Hi Pat. I too am piecing things together on my first Irish ancestors. I have traced back our Hinchey line from Centralia PA (Columbia Co) back to St. Clair PA (Schuylkill Co), and back to New Castle PA (Schuylkill Co). The New Castle PA info is from the 1850 census.
Morgan Henshell 27 born Ireland
Hannah 26 born PA
Catherine 5 born PA
Morgan 2 born PA

Living next door was:
Mary Galiger 50 born Ireland
Michael 25 born PA
Richard 23 born PA

The Henshell name has changed many times over the generations to Hensha, Henchey, Hinchee, and finally Hinchey.
I am thinking that perhaps Mary Galiger is Hannah's mother, but am looking for proof.
With the photos you have taken, have you come across any of these last names?
Do you know who I could write to for birth information / baptisms for 1844-1850? If I can find out who the sponsors were for the children of Morgan and Hannah, it may also list her maiden name, and maybe provide the names of the parents for both Morgan and Hannah and maybe where in Ireland Morgan was born.
I figure that if Catherine was born in 1845, then Morgan probably married Hannah around 1843-1844, probably not too long after he arrived from Ireland.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I live in Arizona, but have been back to the St. Ignatius cemetery. I didn't have this 1850 information when I was back there, so did not get a chance to go to Schuylkill County. I spent my time in the cemeteries at Mt. Carmel and Centralia.
I also need some gravestone info from Ashland PA if you can point me in the right direction. I just want to check that if a baby died a couple days after being born while the mother was still in the hospital in Ashland (back in the 1930's) that if the baby was baptised (as I would expect) that it would have been buried in a Catholic cemetery in Ashland, but I don't know where to look. Some of the older cemeteries in this area have had their records moved to other churches, so I could really use some help in tracking this down.
Thanks a bunch!
Connie

Posted: 26 May 2005 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: Devitt, Gallaghar/Galigher, Sweeney, Lynch, Miller, Connor & Fahey
Connie, I think I have most of the records from St. Joseph's Catholic Church & cemetery. I will look for you if you can give me any names. I went to the Library in Ashland and copied most of the records, plus someone sent me a print-out of the same. If I still have the email saved, I could directly send it to you as an attachment as it is quite long, but it may help you with other names as well that I wouldn't spot. I have lots of info from all the cemeteries you mentioned, so I will look for you. Your Galigher name is very interesting, as my great great grandmother was a Mary Galigher, spelled Gallahar, Gallagher, etc. She married William Devitt. I found her records at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Pottsville, PA, USA. It seems that was the starting point for many of my Irish relatives. I went in person a few times for which I am so glad that I did. I started with looking for my great-grandfather, Anthony William Devitt son of William Devitt and Mary (Gallagher) Devitt. Had I not been standing there I would have never discovered his baptismal record because someone had typed in the wrong year. Instead of 1856, 1956 was typed in, so every time the clerk saw the year 1956, she skipped over it. I noticed that each record was numbered according to when each event happened. It looked strange that the 1956 entry was record number 6923. All the records before 1900 were 10,000 or less, making the 1956 date way out of place. If it really was 1956, then it should have been numbered between 18,000 and 21,000. When I looked closer at this record, it was all the names of my family. The info. read: Record 6923 Name Devitt, Anthony Book 5 Page 76 Date of Birth and Place of Birth were blank Father's Name Devitt, William Mother's Name Mary ? Sponser's Name James Devitt Sponser's Name Mary Monahan Date of Baptism 4/28/1956 Minister of Baptism T.J.Lyndon. This record has to be a typo for the date as it is only the second Devitt record in the register for the name Devitt. All their records are chronological. Seeing that Anthony's record was there, I tried for his parents' marriage record. Found it - The Marriage Record: Groom: William Devit (their spelling) Bride: Mary Gallahar (their spelling) Date of Marriage: 1/28/1854. Parents for the couple was not recorded but blank. From the 1870 Norwegian Twp., Minersville, PA census, I figured Mary to be born about 1835 in Ireland. She is a widow and living with her son Anthony. I can't seem to find her after this. Family legend says she died in a house fire in the 1870's, leaving Anthony alone. He moved in with the Sweeney family, his cousins. I tried to find how the Sweeney's were related and I traced them back to a Michael Davitt, so they had to be from William Devitt's side. In 1860 I find Mary and her son Anthony living with a Peter Gallagher age 35 a Mine Laborer born in Ireland. On Anthony's death certificate the maiden name of his mother is written Mary ? , just like it was written on his baptism record from St. Patrick's.
For the Ashland info. try writing or calling St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Ashland, PA. Ask for or write in care of Mrs. Elizabeth Woodward. Her husband is the care taker in the cemeteries. He has the burial records at their house. The church had a fire back in the 1960's or '80's and lost all their records. There is a young priest there now & he may know the present folks, but doesn't know too much about the previous people. The parish office's address is 1115 Walnut St., Ashland, PA 17921. Phone numbers are 570-875-1521 or 570-875-2990. Fax # 570-875-2635. St. Joseph and St. Mauritius are the names of the Catholic cemeteries. There is also another St. Joe's just down the St. in the next town, Girardville. I will check all my cemetery holdings and see what I can come up with for you. Send me the name of the baby or the parents names, that will be a big help. Also, I am going back there this summer & will look up for you what we can't come up with by then. Where in AZ are you? My best friend lives in Tucson as well as my nephew. My brother & family lived there off & on as my bro. graduated from the University for his Masters and then after living overseas returned to the University & taught a few years. We also have good friends in Phoenix. It must be hot right now there. I don't think summer is ever coming to these parts (Michigan). It's a long story how I wound up here. I was born in Phila. & raised in NJ. I still call the East home after 18 yrs. in MI and 5 in Mexico and 1 yr. in MO. Please feel free to email me directly, if you'd like......Pat
patricia_bennett@ntm.org
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions