Search for content in message boards

Ford family of Strade Co.Mayo

Ford family of Strade Co.Mayo

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 4:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ford
I am looking for any information on the Ford family from Strade Co.Mayo who emigrated in the late 19th century to England and America. My Great-Grandad was Thomas Ford (Northwich, Cheshire, UK) and his father was called Michael Ford (from Strade near Castlebar, Co.Mayo). Michael had a brother called Thomas who also emigrated to England. We believe they had 3 sisters who emigrated to America but as yet I cannot find any information about them. I am at the start of my search for them, any help would be kindly welcomed.

Re: Ford family of Strade Co.Mayo

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: FORD, MEARS, FOY, MANLEY
My FORD family are from Co Mayo...Bartholomew "Bartly" FORD (no -e at the end) b 1811. He married Bridget MEARS/MEER 1833 at St. Muredach's Cathedral in Ballina, Co Mayo. They emigated via Quebec to Chicago. One son James Muredach FORD b 1836 in Quebec, the rest in Illinois.
Their children's names: James, John, Ellen, Mary, Jane may be a clue to others in his or her family. They started a grocery business in Chicago, bought real estate, and became very successful. We have a project at FTDNA.com called FORY, trying to find connected families. So far we have connected to MEER/MEARS, FOY, MANLEY/MUNNELLY. In DNA I am matching to people wth these surnames listed: GALLAGHER, FLEMING, HEALY/HEALEY, GARRETT/GARRITY, BROWN, CONNELLY, O'BRIEN, FLAHERTY, REEVE(S), GOLDEN, GARDINER, LEACH, MCLOUGLIN, DAVIS, MITCHELL, MCCARTY, WELCH/WALSH, HARRIS, BENNETT, BYRNE, BIGGERS, KELLY, PATTON, RILEY, COCHRAN, COUGHLIN, NOLAN...most often I see GARRETT/GARRITY, BROWN, GARDINER, LEACH, DAVIS, KELLY, RILEY, COCHRAN.
Do you see any fit?

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 11:30PM GMT
I belong to ancestries of Manley, Kelly of county Mayo.
Rose Davenport

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 9:52AM GMT
Surnames: FORD, MEARS, FOY, MANLEY
Catherine MANLEY m Patrick FOY; their daughter Bridget FOY m James Muredach FORD, who was son on Bartholomew FORD b 1811. Bartly FORD was m 1833 at St. Muredach's in Ballina, Co Mayo to Bridget MEARS of Ballina. I am interested in learning about the FORDs, and MANLEYs and FOYs in Ireland. I have connected to the MEARS family. Can you help?

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 7:44AM GMT
Did you find any FORDs in your family named Bartholomew? His sons were James & John, daughters Ellen & Mary...I know my family were from Co Mayo, married at St. Muredach's in Ballina, 1833 to MEARS/MEER, but am having trouble finding the family. We have a FORD/FOY & others project at FTDNA.com called FORY. If you have done dna testing, I would welcome you to join the project to try to see if we are connected.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: MANLEY, MEARS, FOY, FORD, NAUGHTON
Would you allow me to see your family tree?? I have MANLEY, MEARS, FORD, FOY, and match to many others in dna.

Elizabeth

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 8:43AM GMT
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you but I was out of town. Unfortunately these Manley's are not the same family that I have. Happy hunting. Good Luck

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Ford(e), Alcorn, Patterson
I'm descended from one of two (Castlebar, Mayo) Forde sisters (my great-grandmother Anna; her sister was Susan), who emigrated to the US somewhere around 1851. I don't know if this is too early to possibly connect to your Fords, but as Strade is close to Castlebar, I thought it might be worth a shot! Anna and Susan first lived in the Hartford, CT area (where Susan remained and married Hugh Alcorn); Anna moved on to Montgomery County, OH, where she married my great-grandfather, William John Patterson.

Amy Patterson

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 3:40AM GMT
Surnames: FORD FORDE
Hi...how interesting that your name is PATTERSON, because I that is one of the names I match in dna...I know for sure my Bartly FORD was married in Ballina, 1833, to Bridget MEARS (cousins spell it MEER also). The ladies at St. Muredach's church said Bartly was from Ballina because "if he had been from anywhere else the register would had said so, because that is the way we have always done it" but I haven't found any other FORDs there. My MEER cousin in Ballina says he thinks that long ago they came from just north of Ballina, near Killala, but over the years they likely spread out. The Gaelic name for Ballina means "at the FORD (of the River in this case)" which is one explanation offerred for origin of the name. I would expect the FORDs in Strade are the same family, except that I am told that FORDE (with an -e) is a different family.
The MEER/MEARS are supposedly all desc from either of 2 brothers and all related, but FORDs are differentiated as FORDE being from England later in history and FORD being part of an ancient tribe (O'NEILL & CONNOR) I do match O'NEIL in dna. I asked my cousin why there aren't more FORDs out looking for family on the internet, and he said there are lots of FORDs and they don't need to look because they already know who they are. (which makes total sense, but is not at all satisfying!) I am also matching to people named GALLAGHER, BROWN, KELLY, MCCARTY and others.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 12:18PM GMT
Hi - thanks for your response. My PATTERSON forebears came from Antrim in Northern Ireland. Your comment about the FORD(E) spelling having English connections is interesting, because, although my great-grandmother and her sister came from Castlebar, Mayo, there is family oral history that they spent time or lived in Belfast prior to emigrating to the US sometime around 1850. She met my Patterson g-grandfather and they raised their children in the Presbyterian faith. It would be unusual for a Catholic from Mayo to have done so, and it makes me think that her family was Protestant and had roots in Northern Ireland (which of course has British colonial ties). Perhaps not, but it's an interesting thought. You mentioned you also had KELLY family roots, and my FORDE g-grandmother and her sister had parents named Edward Forde and Margaret Kelly. So the plot thickens!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions