Search for content in message boards

Need help

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Cherry
I am trying find my relative reputed to have inlisted in British army in about 1899 and was sent to South Africa for the Boer war. He was discharged there at end of war. He was born in Russia and immigrated to the UK with my grandfather and died in 1945 in Johannesburg. His family in SA have no records about him in the army other than his death certificate. Army records would contain place of birth, next of kin etc.useful info for going further. His name was Michael Cherry. Campaign Medal records list only a "M"
Cherry who turns out to be "Moses", a Scot!!!

Re: Need help

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
From Nominal Roll of the Imperial Yeomanry:

Cherry, Moses; No 39936, Private, 177th Coy., 31st Bn. I.Y.
Note the 31st Bn I.Y. was raised in 1901 and was aka Fincastle's Horse

Cherry, Michael 40482, Trooper, Company Not Known, 35th Bn. I.Y.
35th Battalion was raised in 1901.
He’s listed in the QSA Medal Roll.

His attestation and discharge papers are in document series WO 128 War Office: Imperial Yeomanry, Soldiers' Documents, South African War; 1899-1902

The piece number containing Michael’s is WO 128/140 for Regimental Numbers 40,311 - 40,500 unfortunately these records are not available online anywhere.

Although Michael & Moses Cherry were the only two names returned from a name search at http://angloboerwar.com/ Please be aware that there were a number of locally (SA) raised units and town guards that he may have joined, but all should be included in the QSA Medal Roll.

If you cannot get to Kew your only viable cost effective option to obtain a copy of the above record would be to use a professional researcher. If you wish to pursue that option then from the NA’s home page at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ select Records > (scroll down) Paying for Research (note the NA’s charges!) > Independent Researchers > select Army etc.

You will find a list of researchers, several with web sites and emails, all charges are plus copies but beware “plus expenses”, the rates for reputable researchers should include their “expenses”, average cost should be £20-£30 /hr.

Quick source use your browser to search for “military research on line” and one of the first listed should a company, you will also find via the longer route, that offers fixed price packages for some records and a reasonable hourly rate for longer searches.

Jeff

Re: Need help 2

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Thank you for your prompt response re Michael Cherry, Boer war. I also need help regarding my grandfather and his family, immigrants to the UK in 1892/3, listed as Russian citizens in 1901 census. His name shown is Aaron Cherry, with wife and eight named children. Cherry is doubtful his real family (Russian) name. Passenger lists require a last(surname),but there are several ports of departure,several ports in UK to land and several shipping lines carrying immigrants to UK. A lot of permutations!!! I have tried inserting christian name (Aaron) only and port of departure as "Russia" and date of departure. No luck there.

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
I had a search of Home Office records (Dept HO) looking for a Naturalisation cerificate via the National Archives catalogue at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp for surname Cherry years 1880-1960. Couldn't see any that were obvious for your query.

1901 Census listed by age

CHERRY, Aaron Head Married M 40 1861 Provision Dealer; Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Annie Wife Married F 40 1861 Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Isaac Son Single M 20 1881 French Polisher Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Elias Son Single M 18 1883 Glass Beveller Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Handa Daughter Single F 16 1885 Tailoress Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Fanny Daughter Single F 14 1887 Tailoress Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Rose Daughter Single F 12 1889 Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Jannie Daughter Single F 11 1890 Russia (Russian Subject)
CHERRY, Joseph Son Single M 9 1892 Russia (Russian Subject)

CHERRY, Kate Daughter Single F 7 1894 Whitechapel, London
CHERRY, Sarah Daughter Single F 5 1896 Whitechapel, London
CHERRY, Michael Son Single M 3 1898 Tottenham, Middlesex
CHERRY, Dora Daughter Single F 1 1900 Whitechapel, London

Piece: 313 Folio: 75 Page: 28
Registration District: St George in the East
Civil Parish: St George in the East
Municipal Borough:
Address: 116, Lucas Street, St George In The East
County: London

Clearly the Michael listed above, only 3 in 1901, couldn’t have served in the Anglo-Boer War.

1911 census looks like the family moved to Birmigham, Aaron’s place of birth isn’t listed as top RH corner of census page is missing.

Address: Bromsgrove Street Birmingham
CHERRY, Arron Head Married 24 years M 48 1863 Restaurant Shop Keeper
CHERRY, Anne Wife Married 24 years, 12 children, 10 living, F 48 1863 Assisting In The Business Russia Resident
CHERRY, Joe Son Single M 18 1893 Wooden Box Maker London Whitechapel
CHERRY, Kate Daughter Single F 16 1895 Sewing Machinist Tailoring London Whitechapel
CHERRY, Michel Son M 13 1898 London Whitechapel
CHERRY, Doris Daughter F 11 1900 London Whitechapel
CHERRY, Harry Son M 9 1902 London Whitechapel
COHEN, Barney Boarder Single M 35 1876 Presser Tailoring Warwick Birmingham
MICHAILOVITCH, Hyman Boarder Married M 36 1875 Cabinet Maker Russia Resident

Ref RG14; Piece: 18128
Registration District: Birmingham; Sub District: St Martin; Enumeration District: 25
Address: Bromsgrove Street Birmingham
County: Warwickshire

Best I can do

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Thank you for your response, but I have had all the census info for quite a while. As I said, finding the Cherry family original name may be impossible, but surely there has to be some record somewhere of their arrival in the UK in 1892/3. I shall continue to seek other avenues may be Jewish web sites.
Thanks again
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions