Search for content in message boards

Where were 1878 yellow fever victims buried?

Where were 1878 yellow fever victims buried?

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: IRVINE
I am looking for the burial location for a man named Hugh Irvine who died of yellow fever on 24 Aug 1878. There is no information on his death certificate that tells where he was buried and he does not show up in any find-a-grave searches. This man was the chief telegraph operator in New Orleans at the time of his death. He was born in Ireland and his family was in London, Ontario, Canada. I know the body was not shipped back to Canada for obvious reasons. I'm wondering if there was a common place where victims without local families were buried during the 1878 yellow fever epidemic.

Re: Where were 1878 yellow fever victims buried?

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 3:31PM GMT
If he were married it is possible that he was buried in a family grave. Perhaps with his parents.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Irvine
Obit located:

Date: Sunday, August 25, 1878 Paper: Times-Picayune (New Orleans, LA) Page: 6

Does not state where he is buried.

Email me directly as Ancestry won't let me upload the PDF.

Irishwench2@gmail.com

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Irvine
I appreciate the comments/replies from individuals. I already have Hugh Irvine's obituary and death notices and his death certificate. I was just hoping that someone with knowledge of the history of the 1878 yellow fever epidemic might know if there were any mass graves or where individuals with no local connections were buried back then. I know his body was not sent back to Canada. He was a Methodist and not Catholic.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions