Search for content in message boards

looking for : mcgillis/margaret stuart.or stewart..

looking for : mcgillis/margaret stuart.or stewart..

john mcgillis frechette (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2001 12:57AM GMT
unknow mcgillis married margaret stuart/stewart and lived on a farm in canada... one daughter born in glengary.Ann in 1841,
they also had a son laughlin/lauchlin b.1831 canada. and a daughter mary. reported to have worshiped at st. raphaels church.... any help would be greatly app... thanks

Re: looking for : mcgillis/margaret stuart.or stewart..

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2001 1:11AM GMT

Janice Marion (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2001 12:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear John:
I am replying to your message of July 21, 2001.
I may know something about your Laughlin McGillis.
My sister is married to a Roger Bruce. His grand-mother was Mary Ann McGillis. Her father was Laughlin McGillis.

I research a McGillis linage but not that branch. I live
in Michigan and these people all lived here too.

Let me know if I can help. Jan Marion

P.S. My grandmother was a McGillis.

Re: looking for : mcgillis/margaret stuart.or stewart..:att:janice

john mcgillis frechette (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2001 12:50PM GMT
MY email is Shiloh@milx.net.. i would love to hear about your Lauchlin mcgillis:.. I would be very grateful for any info. . thanks. JMF

Jeff Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2001 1:15PM GMT
Jan,
I'm a nephew of the Roger you mentioned in your message in July (so Mary Ann(e) McGillis was my great-grandmother). I know that St. Anne's Cemetery in Springport, Alcona Co., Michigan is full of McGillises of a few different lines. How does your branch connect to our branch? In particular, do you know anything about Alexander (Laughlin's father)? What I have about him is quite sketchy.
Jeff

Janice Marion (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2001 6:47PM GMT
Hello Jeff:
I had been looking for a reply from a nun from
this Query - I was surprised to receive yours.
I am your Aunt Mary Bruce' (Uncle Roger's wife)
sister. I called her to see who Jeff Bruce was.
The only one she knows is the son of Uncle Roger's
brother Dick (Mary Ruth). She said you are one of
four sons (Danny, Jeff, Gerald and David?) She said
you are a English teacher in Japan. Is all this close?

Now about Laughlin -or his father. I know little about
them. However, since I've been tracking our branch
of McGillis's - I met a third cousin living near Quebec.
He has been researching all branches of this surname.
Are you doing genealogy? If you would give me your
E-Mail address - I will see about getting you to-
gether. I would prefer E-Mail to Message boards.

Reach me at dumar@adni.net

P.S. My sister remembers your great-grandmother sitting behind us at St. Rafeals (sp) in Mikado. Jan

Posted: 18 Apr 2002 2:21AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2002 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: macdonnell, fraser, mcgillis
I have information on a Mary Jane McGillis who was born about 1848 in Glengarry Ontario. She married Archibald MacDonald in July of 1871 in Au Sable Mi. If this seems to be related, please let me know.

lewis anne

Posted: 29 Sep 2002 3:16AM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2002 11:33PM GMT
Jan - I am from Michigan originally and am researching the McGillis name, as well. My gr gr gr grandfather was Wm. Bell Thompson and married Johanna McGillis in Glengerry, Ont. Canada. Johanna was d/o Hugh McGillis and Sarah McDonald. And I believe that Hugh was s/o John McGillis and Janet MacMaster. Does any of this sound familiar to you? Do you have any other info that I could go on? I am trying to find out where this McGillis family came from. Thanks, Pat

Posted: 30 Sep 2002 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: Stuart, McDonald
My great aunt was a Margaret Stuart and she was born in 1899 in Glengarry and died this year (!) in Vancouver. Her father was Kenneth Stuart and he was married to Flora (possible middle name of Margaret) McDonald (MacDonald, MacDonell) from Glengarry and they had 6 children together before Flora died young in 1904 of Bright's Disease and was buried in Wiliamstown as Mrs. Kenneth Stewart (mis-spelled). Some time after Flora's death, Kenneth and the children moved to Mannville, Alberta. I do not have really any information on either the Stuart family (other than from Kenneth onwards) or Flora's family although it seems that her family were long-time Glengarrians (Alexandria I think) and that Flora was born RC and had to leave the church when she married Kenneth. I do not know if there is a connection here but given that your lady is a Margaret and mine is too (albeit born a couple of generations later), and given the Scottish naming practices, I wondered if there was a connection. The other childrens' names were Marion (my grandmother), Angus, Donalda, Albert Kenneth (AK), and Campbell. Thanks for any information that this might inspire!

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: mcgillis
Our Mcgillis' are from Glengarry and were baptized at St Raphaels. they settled in Mikado Alcona MI around 1888 at there is a St Raphael church and cemetery there. I don't have a lot of info on this side from canada back. let me know whatyou have or are looking for and I will check to see if i can help you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions