Search for content in message boards

FOREBEARS OF BENJAMIN RICHARD CUTLER - LONDON

FOREBEARS OF BENJAMIN RICHARD CUTLER - LONDON

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CUTLER
LOOKING FOR INFO ABOUT FOREBEARS OF THE ABOVE GENTLEMAN: BORN 1797 LONDON DIED 1868 AUSTRALIA - MARRIED HANNAH DAVIES(1788-1880) I HAVE HIS PARENTS AS WILLIAM MARRIED MARY BURNS BUT THE INFO IS RATHER SHAKEY! ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!

Re: FOREBEARS OF BENJAMIN RICHARD CUTLER - LONDON

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: CUTLER, GREEN
I have in my tree a Benjamin Cutler from London in that era but have little info other than a name and that he died 1837 in Bishopsgate, London. So not the same person, but possibly related (cousin?). Mine because associated with the Church of New Jerusalem ("New Church") according to baptismal records, was married to Sarah Green. They had a son, Benjamin, in addition to at least 3 daughters.
Any connections?

Posted: 26 Nov 2011 9:19PM GMT
MY BENJAMIN'S FATHER WAS A WILLIAM - THIS NAME COMES OUT FURTHER DOWN THE FAMILY TREE, BUT I THINK WE NEED WILLIAM'S FATHER TO BE A BENJAMIN OR A SAMUEL TO SEE IF THERE'S A COUSIN CONNECTION. THE FACT THAT BENJAMIN WAS RICH ENOUGH TO HAVE PORTRAITS PAINTED OF HIMSELF AND HIS WIFE HAS ME WONDERING....
MAYBE HE WAS FIRST GENERATION IN LONDON? I'M A N.Z. CUTLER, YOU SHOULD SEE MY FAMILY TREE TO SEE THE SKELETON IN THE AUSSIE CUTLERS' CUPBOARD!!!!

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 10:51PM GMT
Well there you go, my Benjamin Cutler was a porter by trade, so I don't think we're on to the same family!

Posted: 3 Dec 2011 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: Cutler
Not too sure about that!! It now looks as if the portraits may have been painted by a talented granddaughter in Australia.
Benjamin Cutlers were extremely rare in U.K. so I don't want to give up on a connection. I've sent to Sydney for B.R.C's (and his wife's) Death Certificates in the hope that parents' names and places of birth are included; as they usually are on N.Z. death certificates - I'm hoping Aussie ones are as good!!! I want to pin down his father William as I suspect the family tree may go back to Hampshire before London.

Cheers
LIZ STANLEY

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: WARLAND, GREEN, CUTLER
Well that's a good point, about the rareness of Benjamin Cutlers. What I have in my family, from the IGI(British Isles) is:

Mary CUTLER
Christening: 29 Jun 1817
Address: Cross Street Hatton Garden New Jerusalemite, Holborn, London, England
Father: Benjamin Cutler
Mother: Sarah

Sarah CUTLER
Christening: 24 Oct 1824
Address: Waterloo Road New Jerusalemite, Lambeth, Surrey, England

Benjamin CUTLER
Christening: 19 Nov 1821

Dinah CUTLER
Christening: 2 Jan 1820
Note: Birthdate from IGI  04 Dec 1819

There is also a Thomas CUTLER
Adult Christening: 8 Jun 1817

`````````````````
Mother is Sarah Green.
From FreeBMD

Deaths SepQ1837
CUTLER, Benjamin,
Bishopsgate, Vol.2 pg 78

1841 Census
St Olave Silver St, Middx
Sarah Cutler age 52 <1789>
Dinah age 21
Jane age 33
………………………………………………………

Mary Cutler is my ancestor. She married Edward WARLAND in 1948 St Pancras, and died in 1899. On their marriage certificate it lists Mary's father as Benjamin CUTLER, Porter, deceased.

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 8:48AM GMT
There's another worry though! Maybe the Benjamin came from Benjamin Disraeli who was P.M. of England at some stage around then!!
My B.R.C's father's wife looks to have possibly come from the Dockyard area of London - East London - so that's narrowing the gap with your ancestors-but I'm hoping his death cert. will give me some clues.
Cheers,
LIZ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions