Search for content in message boards

Fullertons of Philadelphia, PA

Fullertons of Philadelphia, PA

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 8:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fullerton,Butler, Sweeney, Muldoon, Erskine, Huft, Braceland, Brushman, Schull
Looking for Fullerton relatives. My gggrandmother was Catherine (Kate) Fullerton daughter of James and Eleanor Fullerton. I believe Eleanor's maiden name was Butler.
Kate Fullerton married Edward J. Sweeney in 1878 in Philadelphia. They had children
John Joseph Sweeney who later married Helen C. Muldoon
Nellie Sweeney who later married Thomas Erskine
Herbert Sweeney who later married Laura Lee Huft.
Annie E.Sweeney who married 1)Thomas Braceland, 2)Frances Brushman
Edna Sweeney who later married George Schull
I would love to hear from any of these relatives to share information.

Re: Fullertons of Philadelphia, PA

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Fullerton, Butler, Sweeney, Erskine, Kent, Walfish
I was just digging around online to see what I could find out about my Fullerton/Butler ancestors and came across your search.
I show that both James Fullerton and Eleanor Butler were born in Philadelphia, PA. My family is from their dauther Katharine and Edward Sweeney's daughter, Nellie E. Sweeney. I have Katharine's date of birth as 1/28/1861 and date of death as 5/5/12. She was buried on 5/9/12 at Holy Cross Cemetery in Philadelphia. I have Nellie's DOB as 2/22/1884 and DOD as 9/21/80. She was living in Atlantic City when she passed away. She married Thomas Taylor Erskine April 25th, 1904. Thomas was born 8/5/81 in Philadephia and died in Atlantic City on 12/22/1961. His father was Ebenezer Martin Erskine, who was born in Ireland around 1835 and died 3/31/1885 at the approximate age of 50. His mother was Clara Edith Erskine. The only information I have on her was that she died in February of '87, when Thomas was 5 1/2. Thomas then lived in an orphanage called "Presbyterian Children's Village" for three years and was accepted into Girard College 4/17/1890. He left Girard College in 1896 and went to live with his brother Edward M. Erskine. Thomas and Nellie had a son, Frank, and two daughters - my grandmother, Eleanor Erskine Kent and my great aunt Dorothy Walfish. I can fill farther down this line a bit, if you're interested, but I'm not sure which branch of Katharine Fullerton's line you're following. I do have a copy of her death certificate.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: Fullerton, Butler,Sweeney
Hello!
Thank you for your response! I too am descended from Katherine Fullerton Edward Sweeney. I am descended from their son John Sweeney and his wife Helen Muldoon. I remember meeting Nellie and Tom in Atlantic City when I was a very young child. They were Aunt Nellie and Uncle Tom to my mother, Helen Sweeney. I vividly remember running in circles through their apartment that had connecting rooms above the boardwalk. She gave us "chocolate straws" candy! I was very impressed with her kindness! I would love to have a copy of Katherine Fullerton's death certificate! If possible please scan and send to me at joannebernardini@gmail.com.Do you have any old photos of any of them? I have one photo of Edward Sweeney as an old man. Holy Cross Cemetery is located just outside of Philadelphia in a small town called Yeadon. Here is the address for your records 626 Baily Rd Yeadon, PA 19050. My mother told me that Eleanor's husband (Kent) was a musician. Do you have any info on him? I also have met Dorothy Walfish once when I was little. I would welcome any additional info you can provide.

Posted: 22 May 2013 8:05PM GMT
Surnames: Fullerton Howell
Hello. Do either of you have more information of Katherine Fullerton's father? I believe that I am a direct descendent through James Fullerton's possible sister Anna Maria Fullerton who married John Howell. James Fullerton was a paper stainer as was Anna Maria Fullerton Howell's husband and family in the Philadelphia area.

Thank you- Meghan

Posted: 23 May 2013 12:33PM GMT
Hello Meghan,
I am also looking for info regarding James Fullerton and I am a direct decendant of his. I work in Philadelphia, so I was able to run to the cemetery during my lunch to try to find his gravestone. No luck! He either did not have one or the map changed.
I am really interested to find info on his father. There appears to be no info on him. The rumor in our family is that James' father was American Indian.
Good luck on your search! Feel free to check out my tree. I added some info recently about James.
Micah Ford

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 7:50PM GMT
Micah,

I'm fairly certain that your James Fullerton and my Anna Maria Fullerton are brother and sister. James Fullerton and his wife Ellen Bulter named their son John Howell Fullerton possibly after Anna Maria Fullerton's husband John Howell. Both John Howell and James Fullerton were in the paper stainer/ paper manufacturing business in Philly.
it was nice of you to look at the cemetery for James gravestone. I'm thinking of writing to the cemetery as I am no in the state of PA and have no chance to get there. Maybe they will send more information my way.

If you find anything let me know. I'm always interested in expanding my tree. Thanks Meghan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic