Search for content in message boards

Mt. Zion Cemetery

Mt. Zion Cemetery

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 5:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vanarsdale.
I am looking for directions or the location or Mt. Zion Cemetery in Webster Parish. Apparently it is near Haughton and or Minden, The individual would be William D. Vanarsdale who was murdered in 1867 and who is buried there. There is nothing on line to direct me to this cemetery.

thankyou

Judy Cassidy

Re: Mt. Zion Cemetery

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 6:42PM GMT
Are you sure that the cemetery you are looking for is in Webster Parish? Mt. Zion in Webster Parish is located on Hwy. 518. There are no Vanarsdales listed as being buried in this cemetery. I wonder if you may be looking for a cemetery located in Bossier Parish. Haughton is located in Bossier Parish and the Vanorsdale Cemetery containing the graves of possible descendants of William is located near Bossier Parish.

I also tried doing a search on Find A Grave but the site is apparently having problems.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 7:26PM GMT

From an article written by Clifton D. Cardin, Official Bossier Parish Historian, Teh Bossier Vanardale Family, a story of murder and love, he sates that "The Wm. Vanarsdel headstone in the Mount Zion Cemetery, south of Haughton reads: etc.

I had been told that this was no in Webster parish, however, it seems to me that since Camp Zion was once called Mount Zion, and is located South of Haughten, perhaps this is the cemetery I am seeking.

Judy

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 7:37PM GMT
I tried Find A Grave again and was able to pull up the listing for Camp Zion. It does state that there is a fenced area of the cemetery known as Mount Zion but there is no listing for William Vanarsdale. I do agree that this must be the Mount Zion Cemetery referred to by Mr. Cardin.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 7:59PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2011 2:41PM GMT
Thank you so much for taking to the time to do this. Who knows what could have happened with his stone, probably a fancy one from Reynolds of New Orleans. Maybe people came to see, as they do today, where he was buried, after all murder such as that might attract people, and they damaged it.

Sure appreciate your time and efforts.

Judy

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 8:23PM GMT
You are very welcome. Out of curiosity, I just might ride over to the cemetery, just to check it out. If I do, I'll be sure to take some pictures and would be happy to send them to you.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: van Arsdale
Judy I have the Cemetery books that list Van Arsdales in Webster Parish. None in Bossier Parish book by Clifton Cardin. Contact me please.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Vanarsdale Stone
That is very kind of you, thank you so very much. Judy

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 11:15PM GMT
Good news! I found it and have pictures! The sun was shining through the trees at a terrible angle so the pictures are not as great as I would have liked but I do have them and will email them to you. Just let me know what your email address is or you can contact me privately at jsg0770@msn.com. I almost didn't find it. It was in the brush and literally the last one I looked at. I was trying to hurry cause the kids didn't want to get out of the car and almost missed it on my way out.

Re: William D. Vanarsdale/Vanarsdel

Posted: 13 Feb 2011 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Deed
Edited: 13 Feb 2011 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: vanarsdale vanarsdal,
"First Land Buyers in Bossier-Claiborne Parishes Louisiana Up to the Civil War" by Bill O' Daniel

Twp 17N 11 W Sec 13,14,23
Twp18 N 10 W Sec 10
per page

Find a board about a specific topic