Search for content in message boards

Multiple baptisms of the same child

Multiple baptisms of the same child

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 9:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Mar 2012 3:27PM GMT
Hi,

Would there be any advantage in baptising the same child in 3 different churches a week apart?
Did the parents get any money from the church if they were poor? I have found this with at least 3 children from the same parents.

Thanks

Andy

Re: Multiple baptisms of the same child

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 3:31PM GMT
As far as I know, there is no added benefit and, for most religions, something that would not be allowed.

For more precise answers, provide more information: where in the world this may have happened, the religion of the family, when the baptisms occurred, and where you found the baptisms recorded.

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 5:44PM GMT
Hi,

My error, they are not a week apart, but the same day. An example is Mary Ann Long, baptised 13 Jun 1880. 3 records list her baptism in St James the Great, St Philip and Holy trinity all in Bethnal Green, London.
Would the baptism be listed in all 3 church records as a matter of course. Its the first time I have come accross this.

Thanks

Andy

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 1:04PM GMT
Can you point me to what resource in which you found these baptisms? FamilySearch.org or ???

As far as I know, baptisms are only recorded once in one church.

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 2:02PM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I found them on ancestry. I have attached a screen grab of Mary Ann Long's baptisms.

Thanks

Andy
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 2:02PM GMT
I looked at images of the actual registers and they are duplicate entries. My guess is that the minister went from church to church and the baptism simply got duplicated on each church register by accident.

A search of the churches on GENUKI wasn't definitive. Try posting on the Middlesex mailing list (http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/ENG/Middlesex_...) for information about these churches and why the same baptism would have appeared on three church registers.

Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions