Search for content in message boards

Surname--Drozdak, Drosdak

Surname--Drozdak, Drosdak

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Drozdak
I have been trying to find info on the Drozdak family. Metro Drozdak first showed up in the 1910 census, which said he arrived from Austria about 1896 and lived in Mauch Chunk, PA. I know that he and his wife Mary (who arrived in the US the following year), later moved to Hauto (a section of Nesquehoning, PA). They had the following children: Metro, Mary, Simon, Annie, Wash, Ellen, John, Joseph, Helen, George (may not be the complete list).

I checked for the surname at a few Carpatho-Rusyn sites, but found nothing! I was fortunate to find info on my mother's family name (Sotak)--but absolutely nothing on Drozdak. I know many immigrants shortened or "Americanized" their names when they came over, but I couldn't find anything even similar enough to make me think it could have been the original surname.

I am new at this genealogy stuff and I'm not sure where to go from here. Unfortunately, I also don't know the name of the ships that my grandfather or grandmother arrived on.

I'd truly appreciate any info or help that you can provide.

Thank you,
Gina

Re:Drozdak, Drosdak, Drozdiak, Drozdyak

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 4:23AM GMT
Gina

What suggests that your query belongs on Slovenia's board?
In Slovakia's phone book: DROZDAK and DROZ'DIAK.
www.zoznamst.sk
In Poland: DROS'DZIAK, DROZDZIAK, and DROZ'NIAK.
Do you know a place of birth?
In Ellis Island site: DROZDIAK, DROSDIAK, and DROZDYAK.
www.ellisislandrecords.org
www.iabsi.com/gen/public
www.halgal.com

Re: Drozdak, Drosdiak

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 4:35AM GMT
Gina

Maria DROSDIAK going to uncle Metro DROZDAK in Nanty Glo, Pa born in Fagusza/Tagusza (sp??) left father ? DROZDIAK in Pagusza, Gal. (Galicia)
www.ellisislandrecords.org

Re: Drazdak

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 4:56AM GMT
Gina

arriving in 1896 Andry DRAZDAK going to Lanford, Pa
DRAZDAK in very small numbers in Slovakia's phone book.
Mary would have arrived as Maria or Marya.

Re: Surname--Drozdak, Drosdak

Posted: 3 Jan 2009 3:59AM GMT
Gina,
Metro also had a brother named Michael. He was my grandfather.

Sincerely,
Stephanie

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: drozdak
Dear Gina,,

My grandmother's maiden name was Drozdak, Sha had a brother
Mickey, or Metro, sisters Anna, and several others I didn't
know about. They Lived in Norwalk, CT and came from Pottstown
P.A. You might try looking in Norwalk Ct. where they lived for many years. There were several Drozdak families there.

Good Luck with your search, Kathy

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: Drozdak, Drosdak, Drozdiak
Hi Kathy,

Rather than getting into more detailed information, have you by any chance traced your family back to the village of Bogusza, which is in present-day SE Poland? My grandfather's name was Metro. I learned he had a son named Metro who lived in Darrien, CT (whom I never knew) and who died in 1997. I understand he never married though. However, my grandfather Metro had a brother Andrew, who also had a son named Metro. Although they lived in Coaldale and Hauto at first, Andrew moved to Port Carbon, and perhaps his son Metro moved to Pottstown. My grandfather Metro and Andrew's father's name was Isaac, but he never came to America. Does any of this information sound familiar to you?

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 8:52PM GMT
hi gina,

my name is lydia and i think we are related. my mothers brother was metro my mothers maiden name was vera and they lived in port carbon, pa. veras brother peterr lived in norwalk, conn along with a sister named helen. peter and family moved to s.c.. their parents were andrew and sophie drozdak

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Drosdak, Drozdak, Drozdiak, Drozdziak
Hi Lydia,

Although I am not familiar with the name Vera, I am sure we are related somehow. My grandfather was Mitro (Dimitry) Drozdak. The reason I am certain that we are somehow related is that I know for sure that my grandfather Mitro had a brother Andrew, who was married to a Sophie (her maiden name was Didyk). Andrew and Sophie had lived in Hauto, the township where my grandfather lived; but I found that Andrew and Sophie later moved to the Port Carbon area. My grandparents had a son named Metro (who would have been my uncle--my dad's brother) who, ironically, I had only learned about a few years ago while doing family research. He lived in Fairfield, CT and died in 1997. No one in my family ever knew of him (My dad--his brother--died in 1973 and was the youngest sibling, and there would have been so many years between he and Metro that it is possible my dad wasn't even aware he had a brother Metro). I can only gather there must have been some 'falling out' or something that made him to go to CT, never having contact with his family in PA again. I know Mitro never married. Many 'Rusyns', like 'Slovaks' and other ethnicities at the time, usually named their children after their brothers, sisters, parents, etc. Ironically, my grandparents also had a daughter--my aunt Helen--a first name you also mention. I am living in the area where I grew up--not far from Hauto, where our families initially settled. I had lived out west for 10 years but came back to PA in 1986. Please feel free to email me at Gina.PhilsPhan@gmail.com if you'd like to swap more information. I have been in contact with 2 relatives--one in SE Poland, who lives close to where Mitro and Andrew came from (It was part of the Austrian Empire at that time), and his sister, who lives in Canada. Do you live in SC or CT?

I do hope you'll keep in contact with me. Perhaps we can swap more information. I am also happy to have found another relative. I never knew my paternal grandparents, as they both died before I was born in 1955; then my dad died in 1973 before I had a chance to ask much about my heritage. We Rusyns have a very interesting, but sad, history. Thanks for writing....Gina

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 12:06AM GMT
HI GINA, GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU. I TOO AM NEW TO USING THE COMPUTER. cOUSIN BARBARA (MOTHER- MARTHA) AND MY MOTHER VERA WERE SISTERS. WE STAY IN CONTACT AND SHE WILL BE SO EXCITED WHEN I CALL HER TO TELL HER WE HAD SOME CONTACT. WE HAVE BEEN TRYING SO HARD TO PUT CONNECTIONS TOGETHER. SHE IS GOOD WITH NAMES AND VERY LITTLE HISTORY. mY AUNT HELEN'S MARRIED NAME WAS ASTRAB. SHE HAS SINCE PASSED AND HAD TWO CHILDREN, BEATRICE AND JERRY. BEATRICE IS MY MOTHERS AGE. I'M 65. MY GRAND MOTHER SOPHIE HAD 7 CHILDREN. PETER, METRO, JOHN (DIED IN 1945)SALLY,VERA. MARTHA,HELEN (BEING THE OLDEST, I THINK. PETER MARRIED MARY AND THEY LIVED IN CT. THEY HAD TWO CHILDREN,DENNIS AND ANNETTE. THEY ALL NOW LIVE IN SC. AND HAVE FOR YEARS. SALLY MARRIED OTTO AND HAD 2 BOYS OTTO? VERA MARRIED JOHN RAYDA(MY DAD) I AM AN ONLY CHILD. MARTHA /BOB HAD BARBARA GEORGE, BOBBY. METRO NEVER MARRIED AND LATER MOVED TO CT. TO LIVE WITH HELEN, I THINK. I LIVE IN SOUTH JERSEY, BUT HAVE WANTED TO VISIT PORT CARBON, WHERE I GREW UP IN THE EARLY YEARS. I HAVE 2 BOYS, DOUGLAS (ROB) AND DENNIS.WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IN CONTACT WITH YOU. MY E-MAIL IS LBICKEL5@COMCAST.NET HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.

LYDIA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic