Search for content in message boards

Jenkins - Virginia line

Jenkins - Virginia line

Posted: 1 Jun 2010 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jenkins, Grisset, Ellis
Hello. I posted this before, but I am submitting it again, just in case it catches someone's eye. I'm hoping someone knows more about Rueben Jenkins' parents... currently we have nothing go on about them, except they were probably born in Virginia. Additional info below:

Nettie Beale Jenkins (1905-1988) born to Rueben Jenkins (abt 1856 - 1935) and Sophonia (also seen spelled: Safrona) Grisset (abt 1860 - 1939) whose possible mother Annie Grisset and possible brother William T Grisset.

Nettie married Russell Morris Ellis.

Their Children are: Jenny, Russell Morris, Jr., Emma Beale, Mertyle, Evelyn, James Elton (Jimmy), Clara Lee, Betty, Mary Louis

Nettie was my great-grandmother. My grandmother is Clara Lee and I am hoping to get information for her before she doesnt have the chance to know her history. If anyone know any info about Jenkins, Grisset or Ellis, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Jenkins - Virginia line

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 3:49AM GMT
Hi, I did some quick lookin for you and came up with this

Couldnt find them in 1930 Census

1920 Census, Shiloh, King George County, Virginia
Ruben 63
Sophronia 58
Clarence N. 19
Nettie L. 14

1910 Census, Shiloh, King George County, Virginia
Reubin 52
Sophina 47
Luthur 18
Bertha 13
Clarance 10
Nettye 5

1900 Census, Shiloh, King George County, Virginia
Reuben May 1852
Saprona Apr 1863
Walter Oct 1884
Andrew Oct 1886 most likely named aft Saphronia's father
Reuben J. Jan 1889
Luther Apr 1893
Bertha Sep 1896
Not named Apr 1900- Daughter

In the 1880 census Reubens family was on page 1 0f 41
and Sophronia's family was on page 3 0f 41, so they
lived close together

I would discount the age of Reuben in the 1900 Census it is the only census where his age is way off

I believe Reubens mother Julia was the second wife
of his father Reuben
look at the 1850 and 1860 census

1860 King George County, Virginia
Reuben 45
Julia A. 31
Margaret 17
Thomas 15
Letitia 11
Chas H. 9
Reuben 1

1850, Washington Parish, Westmoreland County, Virginia
Reuben 37
Nancy 35
Margaret 11
Thomas 7
Luticia 3

Nancy died after 1851 after Charles from the 1860
census was born

------------------------------------------------------
1870 Census, Shiloh, King George County, Virginia
Andrew 36
Ann L. 34
William 11
Sophronia 7
Landon H. 2

The 1880 census is confusing still in Shiloh

They were listed as Gusset in the 1870 census, if you look real close at the census it is Grissett
also all were born in Virginia, Jenkins and Grissett

Glad to help

Paul Jenkins(no relation that i know of)

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 12:34PM GMT
Thank you SO much for the information. I called my grandmother up right after to tell her and she was so grateful to know more about her family. Her sister had just passed just a few weeks ago and this cheered her up some.

Posted: 28 Jun 2010 10:54PM GMT
I know this is a long shot. But could these Jenkins be related in any way to Thornton Alexander Jenkins Rear Admiral of the US Navy, born in Orange County, Va ( 1811-1893) and died in Washington D.C. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetary. He is my great great grandfather. I know his second wife was Elizabeth Gwynne Thornton Jenkins, and my great grandfather is one of the children of this marriage. Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jun 2010 10:54PM GMT
I know this is a long shot. But could these Jenkins be related in any way to Thornton Alexander Jenkins Rear Admiral of the US Navy, born in Orange County, Va ( 1811-1893) and died in Washington D.C. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetary. He is my great great grandfather. I know his second wife was Elizabeth Gwynne Thornton Jenkins, and my great grandfather is one of the children of this marriage. Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jun 2010 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Jenkins

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 5:38PM GMT
I am searching for an orphan known among other things as Ella Rosa Jenkins. She was born in Louisiana about 1840 and is known to have had contact with TAJ through her husband in later years circa 1857. Have you ever heard any rumors of TAJ fostering an orphan girl or do you know anything of his connections to the Heaps and Kerrs of eastern Penna? Also did TAJ have a brother who emigrated to Louisiana?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 6:47PM GMT
Hi. I am not aware of an Ella Rose Jenkins or of TAJ fostering an orphan child. I also do not have at this point any information on TAJ's siblings. I am in the process of searching, but continue to hit brick walls. My grandfather, who was placed in the Children's Aid Society Orphanage in New York City circa 1894 was the biological son of Presley Thornton Jenkins who is the son of TAJ from his second wife Elizabeth Gwendolyn Thornton Jenkins. She died at an early age ( I think around age 36). Presley Thornton Jenkins married Virginia Mott and had 4 children:Elizabeth(Betty) Jenkins, Virginia Jenkins, Leah Jenkins and (my grndfather) Presley Thornton Jenkins jr. Apparently, Presley sr. left Henrietta and my grandfather Presley jr., and his sister Leah were placed in the orphanagein New York City. I am researching my grandfather's mother (Henrietta Mott) without much luck and TAJ's family (I.e. parents and siblings) without much luck.
I do have a partial family tree showing a connection to a Sallie Donaldson Heap. If you have any info on Jenkins I would appreciate it.
Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions