Search for content in message boards

Engle History - three Engle brothers arriving with William Penn?

Engle History - three Engle brothers arriving with William Penn?

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 1:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2005 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Engle, Penn
Would anyone know the information on the three Engle brothers arriving with William Penn. One brother stayed in PA, while the other two removed to NJ.

Does anyone know the names and locations in NJ where the brothers removed?

Martha Elmendorf
Orlando, Florida

Re: Engle History

Peter Schroeder (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 8:21PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2004 6:04AM GMT
Surnames: Engle, Horne
There is a post on Genforum (http://genforum.genealogy.com/engle/messages/50.html) by Lisa Engle Herdahl as follows:

"Looking for anyone researching this family. Robert settled in Evesham, Burlington County NJ in 1682/83. married Joan Horne 1684. They had one son John. I have a large data base on this family. Stuck on Roberts parents. Also doing research on Roberts brothers believed to be Paul and Jacob Engel/Engle who settled near Germantown PA around the same time."

Re: Engle History - four brothers to America in 1683

Posted: 31 Dec 2003 4:21AM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2004 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Engle, Horne
I have records that show:

Four Engle brothers came to America in 1683 from Cambridgeshire England. Three of them settled in Pennsylvania. One of the brothers, Robert, settled in Evesham township, Burlington county, New Jersey. He married Jane Horne in 1684.

Robert had a son, John. John had a son, Robert. His son, Robert, had a son Isaac. Isaac and Sarah Engle migrated to Warren county, Ohio.

Isaac and Sarah's son, William and his wife Lutitia, moved to Indiana, Washington township.

Let me know if this is the family you were asking about. I have more, but this is a very shortened version.

Nthomas

Posted: 24 Nov 2005 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Engle
I would like to know more about the other 3 brothers who settled near Germantown, PA. They might be the answer I am looking for. I have a Levi Engle b. in 1757 who I cannot trace any further back. One of these brothers had c. who had c. ect who had Levi (I believe) I sure hope this is the connection.

Posted: 24 Nov 2005 5:14AM GMT
I do not know the names of the other brothers. For starters, here is one thing I found on a Levi Engle. Is this of any help?

Karl Gottlieb Schnauffer / Elizabeth Mary Ruckwardt

Descendants of Milchor Engle
Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM2 ENGLE (MILCHOR1).

Child of WILLIAM ENGLE is:
3. i. LEVI3 ENGLE, b. 1757; d. 1834.
3. LEVI3 ENGLE (WILLIAM2, MILCHOR1) was born 1757, and died 1834. He married
NANCY BURR.

Dorothy Elling (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2005 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Enlge
I tried that theory, but if William was Levi's father, he would have only been 10 when Levi was born. So I really don't think we are from the Melchor line, much as I find that line facinating.
Thank you so much for your help though. Maybe they made a mistake on William's age, but I don't think so.

Dorothy Engle Elling (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2005 6:28PM GMT
By the way, the Levi you mention is my direct decendant. Levi1- Michael 2 -Michael J. 3- William J. 4- Michael J. 5-Henry Albert 6-and me.

nthom (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2005 6:38PM GMT
I've always understood my Engle line came from England. Quakers who came over about the time of Willima Penn. The Melchor line seems to be of German heritage. I don't know where Levi Engle's father was originally from, but it it's from England, then he might be one of our Engle... somewhere. I'm doing some more research on this. I know the Beal line is my family also, and I can trace a Beal coming with William Penn (later changed to Bales).

Dorothy Engle Elling (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2005 6:46PM GMT
I have studied the Engle spelling. Engle spelled this way is of german descent, but doesn't necessarily mean that they came from Germany. I sure hope we find out. Oh well half of the fun is the hunt! I have only been tracing my ancestry for 6 years and have found out so much. Our line is Barnes, Bullock, Welton and Engle. Happy hunting

nthom (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2005 11:30PM GMT
Found this in Abstracts of Philadelphia Wills.. it must be your Levi.
ENGLE, CORNELIUS. Germantown. Phila. Co. Cordwainer.
October 11, 1774. August 7, 1775.
Wife: Catherine. Children: Elizabeth, William, Samuel, Sarah and Levi.
Execs.: brother Paul Engle and son in law John Nice. Witnesses: John
VanHorn and Henry Meyer. (Q:188)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic