Search for content in message boards

Holmes, Dean or Wilson in Blenheim, Harwich Twp. 1930s-1940s

Holmes, Dean or Wilson in Blenheim, Harwich Twp. 1930s-1940s

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: HOLMES, DEAN, WILSON
During the 1930s and 1940s, my great grandfather, Arthur HOLMES, and his wife Elizabeth HESSLER, stopped to visit family in Blenheim on their way from Buffalo NY to Detroit MI. My Uncle Paul, who accompanied his grandparents, along with his brother Howie, and perhaps his sister Carol, assumes they stopped at the Holmes Farm, although he admits it could just as easily have been some other family. (Arthur's mother was Frances Elisabeth WILSON and his step-mother was Caroline DEAN. His father was Thomas HOLMES.)

I would like to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of the area and its residents during the 1930s-1940s. I have attempted to find what I call a plat map, showing who owned what property, for that time period, but was unsuccessful. I was also not able to locate a directory of the area for that time period. Of course, if I could actually connect with the family, or their descendents, that my Uncles and great grandparents visited, that would be great!

Re: Holmes, Dean or Wilson in Blenheim, Harwich Twp. 1930s-1940s

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 5:37PM GMT
Hi I am a Holmes and I grew up in Blenheim there were 3 different Holmes families in Blenheim and they were ALL descendents of pioneers In fact the very first white child born in Harwich Township was Abraham Holmes b 1790 he actually met Tecumseh just before The great Indian chief was Killed in the Battle of the Thames I have tons of info so lets compare notes

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: Holmes, Wilson, Henry, Morrison, Carnell/Carnall
Thanks for your response, Terry. Since my original post in 2000, I have found more information on the Holmes/Wilson family.

My Holmes family came from Market Weighton and Pocklington, Yorkshire, England. My ancestor, Thomas Holmes (1839-1926), seems to be the only one of his siblings who crossed the pond. Thomas was in Market Weighton in 1861, and Sunderland, Brock, Ontario in 1871. I have recently found out that Thomas served in the US Navy in 1865 during the American Civil War, so it appears that he moved fairly frequently.

Thomas married Frances Elizabeth Wilson (abt 1843-1879), widow of William Henry, in 1871 in Sunderland. They had at least 4 children before Frances died in 1879.

Frances Wilson Henry Holmes, daughter of William Wilson and Hannah Carnell/Carnall, had 5 siblings, one of whom, Mary Ann Wilson (1843-1919), married Edmond Morrison (1839-1934)and they lived in Orford township, Kent County, Ontario. I found this information in "Commemorative Biographical Record of the County of Kent, Ontario"which contained a biographical sketch of the Edmond Morrison family.

So, I am not sure if you can tie in to this Holmes family or not. There was an Abraham Holmes in either Pocklington or Market Weighton; I don't remember which, but I could not connect that Abraham to my Holmes line. Do you know where your Holmes family was from?

Barbara

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 1:39AM GMT
Hi Barb Well so far no relations ;( The Thomas I know of was one of the first settlers in Chatham Ontario Canada in the 1790s he is so far unrelated Either. My g-g grandfather Henry Holmes and one of his brothers James appear in the JH Beers Commemorative Biographical record as well since they were pioneers I have a few History books on the Harwich Kent area lets stay in touch we may come across each others family and/or may find a common link somewhere tc Terry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions