Search for content in message boards

WOOD Family, Berkshire, England, and Aberdeen, Scotland

WOOD Family, Berkshire, England, and Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted: 22 Dec 2003 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WOOD, DURBIDGE, ROACH, BECKLEY, MILNE, HAINES, TAYLOR, EDMOND, BRUCE, CUMMING
My husband is descended from Cornelius WOOD and Mary DURBIDGE who married 7 Feb 1785 at Wantage, Berkshire. I'm still trying to discover who Cornelius's parents were, but I know he had a brother named Thomas WOOD, who farmed at nearby Charlton, Berkshire, and Cornelius went to live with him after Mary died [source 1841 census].

Cornelius WOOD and Mary DURBIDGE had at least five children:

1. Edward WOOD, b. 1785, Wantage

2. Ann WOOD, b. 1788, Wantage (married William ROACH, 1811, Letcombe Regis, Berkshire)

3. Mary WOOD, b. 1790, Wantage (married Robert BECKLEY, 1807, Wantage)

4. John WOOD, b. 1808, Wantage

They also had a son:
5. William WOOD, whose baptism/birth I haven't yet managed to isolate. He was a Linen Weaver by trade, and at some point he re-located to Aberdeen, Scotland (presumably because there were better job opportunities up there).

William WOOD married Mary MILNE on 24 Mar 1826 at Old Machar, Aberdeen, and they had at least four children:

1. Mary WOOD, born circa 1826, Aberdeen (possibly the Mary WOOD baptized 16 Aug 1827, Old Machar). Married Edmund HAINES, 15 Jan 1845, Wantage, Berkshire - later lived in London.

2. Ann WOOD, bap. 6 Nov 1827, Old Machar

3. Harriet WOOD, bap. 21 Apr 1830, Wantage, Berkshire

4. Cornelius "Neil" WOOD, bap. 31 Aug 1834, Wantage, Berkshire; died 12 Feb 1907, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. Occupation: Master Shoemaker. Married his first wife, Isabella TAYLOR, 15 Sep 1854, Old Machar, Aberdeen, and they had at least five children:

a) Harriet WOOD, b. 12 Mar 1855, St Nicholas, Aberdeen
b) Cornelius William WOOD, b. 20 Dec 1856, St Nicholas, Aberdeen [twin]
c) Isabella Margaret WOOD, b. 20 Dec 1856, St Nicholas, Aberdeen [twin]
d) Ann WOOD, b. 30 Nov 1858, St Nicholas, Aberdeen
e) Williamina WOOD, b. 4 Dec 1860, Old Machar, Aberdeen.

Cornelius "Neil" WOOD also appears to have fathered a child out of wedlock with a Jane MILNE or EDMOND:

a) Cornelius WOOD, b. 15 Jan 1864, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. Occupation 1881: Labourer residing at 17, Wales Street, Aberdeen

Cornelius "Neil" WOOD married his second wife, Isabella BRUCE (widow of John CUMMING) on 5 Sep 1896, Old Machar, Aberdeen.

Other than the above details, I also have an old letter (dated Feb 1837) from William and Mary WOOD to their young daughter Mary (who was staying with relatives in England at the time). It isn't clear who wrote the letter - it could have been William WOOD or Mary MILNE - but the letter may contain possible clues to other WOOD family members, as it speaks of: "my Brother Thomas is working at the loom and enjoys good health and likewise his Family and my Sister Patience and her husband is in good health and her husband works in the Shop with me John Junior her son is at the Island of Malta but for my Brother John we have had no acounts of now we cannot get any at all" and also "your little Sister Harriet is at Bervie about 25 miles from us Harriet Jamieson and her husband came to see us and took her along with them for a few Months".

Does anyone have any links to the above? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, and I'm always happy to share the information I already have.

Best wishes,

Sue

Re: WOOD Family, Berkshire, England, and Aberdeen, Scotland

Flora Pirie (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2004 12:11AM GMT
Sue, re your William Wood who re-located to Aberdeen. I have an Ann Wood who married Robert Forest 28 Apr 1830, Old Macher, Aberdeen. No other info on Ann, anything you have to help would be appreciated.

Posted: 2 Jan 2004 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: WOOD, FOREST
Hello Flora,

Unfortunately, I don't think our WOOD families have an immediate link. William WOOD did have a daughter, Ann WOOD, but as she was baptized 6 Nov 1827, Old Machar (and assuming that she was born within the year prior to that date) she would obviously have been far too young to be your Ann WOOD! <grin> What I can do is to make a note of your details, and if I come across any information about Ann WOOD and Robert FOREST I'll get straight back to you.

Best wishes,

Sue

David William Wood (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2004 3:01AM GMT
any info on the Wood family uk would be greatly received.

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 3:08AM GMT
I'm afraid WOOD is a very common surname, and the UK is a very big place! ;-) Can you give more details of the people you're looking for? I'll be happy to help if I can.

Best wishes,

Sue

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: WOOD, ROACH
Hello Sue, I was wondering if you are still looking at these families. I am descended from Ann WOOD and William ROACH. Please contact me if you would like to discuss these names further. Thanks

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Durbridge , Sherriff, Wood,
Hi Sue, I have just made contact with a gent in Australia who is a descendant of Cornelius Wood (b. 12 Feb 1765) who married Mary Durbridge at Wantage, Berkshire on 7 Feb 1785. Their son William Wood (b/bp. 1 Apr 1804) married Jane Tett at St Georges, London on 9 Feb 1822. He was later transported to Van Diemans Land (Tasmania). I have also emailed you direct with attachments. I am related to this gent through my family lines (Sherriff). Would be pleased to pass on further details. Regards, Malcolm

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:59AM GMT
Surnames: Wood
I am following a link you had. I am looking for the parents of a Robert Wood who was born c1838 in Old Molchru(Meldrum) in Aberdeenshire. I believe the family went to live in Manchester and then he came to Australia in 1863.
Any links welcome. Thanks Elaine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions