Search for content in message boards

Rakitnica - Vidervol

Rakitnica - Vidervol

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 2:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vidervol, Butala
I am researching the Vidervol family from Ely, MN, and California. My great-grandmother is Mary Vidervol, born about 11 November 1863

Possibly from Rakitnica 4, Dolerija vas, Ribrini

Thank you,

Re: Rakitnica - Vidervol

Posted: 20 Nov 2008 4:25PM GMT
Hello,
the correct spelling is
Rakitnica 4 -
(near) Dolenja vas -
(near) Ribnica

These places are located SE from the capital Ljubljana.
Yes, there are still some Vidervols there.
See Slovenian phonebook:
http://tis.telekom.si/
You can try and write them in English, or ask someone to contact them in Slovenian, which can be more effective. It is usually possible to find a younger relative who speaks English and can use e-mail.

If you do not know great-grandmother's siblings or nephews, it is maybe better to try find them in the archive first. The living generations may not even remember an aunt who went to America in 19th century.
Birth records for Ribnica parish should be in the Archdiocesan archives in Ljubljana. They used to do genealogical research for a fee, but they do not do it anymore, they say. Someone has to go there in person to research the old books.

I am Slovenian. If you wish to contact me by e-mail, it should be visible when you click:
"View posts",
then Jasmina_ (my username),
and then Contact.
My preferences are set to allow people to see it. Please leave a post here if this does not work for you. Not typing my mail here is only meant to avoid spam.

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Henikman, Vidervol, Butala
I recently came across my great grandmother's death certificate. Her father listed is an Anton Vidervol and mother is listed as Agnes Henikman.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 7:16PM GMT
Hi,
I was just wondering did you manage to find anything else about Mary Vidervol or not? My relatives live today at the Rakitnica 4 adress so it is possible that we're researching the same line. However, there are a lot of Vidervols in that area so it could be a different family line altogether.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 11:00PM GMT
Unfortunately, I have not. I'm sorry. Also, the spelling of some of the names might be wrong due to American transcriptions.

Where I received the address from is on immigration records for a Frank Vidervol (42 YOA) who came to the US on December 23, 1920, through New York on the Niagra. He had a sister - Joana Vidervol - Rakitnig 4, Dolerijavas-Ribrini.

Also, There is an Ivan Viderbol came to the US in April 1901 on the Koln. He was from Rakitnca. He was going to Ely, Minnesota. Brother-in-law is noted as possible Mathias Varles

As I indicated earlier, I found the names Anton Vidervol and Agnes Henikman (possibly Honigman) as her parents on Mary's death certificate.

Mary had a brother Frank Vidervol born about 1880. He was likely married to a Katherine Barich. Her mother might have been a Siter. They ultimately moved to California in the 1930s.

Mary Vidervol was related to a Bednar and Faith family.

I do have photos of her in the late 1800s I could email you.

Thank you for the reply. I wish I had more.
Ken

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 11:34PM GMT
Well, it's something. The Henikman is in my opinion more likely the surname Henigman, there are some families with that name.
I'm planning on digging around a bit more and if I come across the same names, I'll let you know.
Can't promise when, but I promise to let you know.
And if necessary I'll ask for the photos then.
Thanks,
T.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 11:06AM GMT
Original surname spelling is WIEDERWOHL and it comes from the Gottschee area. Gottschee was a German ethnic island in the southern part of the crown-land Krain (Carniola), today's southern Slovenia. Gottschee is now called Kocevje and Rakitnica and Ribnica are part of that area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic