Search for content in message boards

Cardens in Mcminn Co. Tn.

Cardens in Mcminn Co. Tn.

Posted: 30 Oct 2008 1:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARDEN, WHEELER
Looking for any info. pertaining to Robert Carden who married Rebecca Wheeler in Etowah, Tn. Mcminn Co. in the 1930's. Wedding announcement say's he is the son of Mrs Floyd King.

Re: Cardens in Mcminn Co. Tn.

Posted: 30 Oct 2008 1:48AM GMT
Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002
Name: Robert L Cardin, age 20
Spouse: Rebecca Wheeler, age 18
Marriage Date: 30 Sep 1938
Marriage County: McMinn
Marriage State: Tennessee
Floyd KING co-signed the marriage bond.

In the 1920 census for McMinn County, TN, there is a Robert L. CARDIN, age 1 4/12, grandson in the household of Wesley M. McCANN. His mother appears to be a widowed Ella CARDEN.

My file shows Ella McCANN married Grover C. CARDEN.

This appears to be Ella's marriage:

Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002
Name: T C Carden
Spouse: Ella McCann
Marriage Date: 23 Dec 1916
Marriage County: McMinn
Marriage State: Tennessee

Grover C. CARDIN was the son of Leonard C. CARDIN and Sarah E. MELTON and the grandson of Amos S. P. CARDIN and the great grandson of Leonard C. CARDIN and Tabitha PEACE. This is a Monroe County, TN, line.

Hope this helps.

Bailey

Posted: 31 Oct 2008 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: CARDEN, WHEELER
Thank you for the info. Do you happen to know where they lived out the rest of their lives or more importantly when and where they died and are buried?
I have newspaper clippings of Rebecca Wheeler before they married and was named "Miss Etowah" (with photo), and also of their wedding announcement with her picture. Both of these are posted on the "Mcminn Our Tennessee Home" web site. I can attach these and send you them if you would like.

Thanks for any info.
Bob.

Posted: 5 Feb 2011 10:43PM GMT
Hi - Rebecca and Robert Cardin were my paternal grandparents. They lived many places (my grandfather was a full bird colonel in the US Army) but retired and are buried in Augusta, GA. I'm checking with my dad about the year my grandfather died, it was the early 80's. My grandmother died in 2003 (?) in Columbus, Georgia.

Is there a connection with you and your family?

Posted: 6 Feb 2011 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Carden/Johnston/Carter/Allen
I don't know of a Tennessee connection, as yet, but have only recently started searching. I'm a Carter by birth in Columbus, GA. Daughter of Martha E Johnston from Hatchechubbee & Phenix City, AL and Columbus, GA. Grandmother was Carrie Lou Carden prior to marriage to Clarence Monroe Johnston. Great grandmother was Docia Adelaide Carden (see attached Obit) of Hatchechubbee, AL, (born & buried there) married to Henry Talbot/Tolbot Carden, both with last name Carden and very little info on Henry other than he may have had a 1st wife prior to Docia and his father was J C or O Carden. Docia's parents were Alexander Steven Carden b. 1850 in AL and Emily Melton "Millie" Allen Carden. Alexanders father was William Carden b. abt 1811, married to Sarah/Sara Lucinda "Sallie" Thompson b 1811. This is pretty much where my trail stops.
Is there any family connection that you see?
It's very possible that your grandfather Robert, being in the army was stationed at Ft. Gordon which is Augusta and Ft. Benning which is Columbus, GA
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 3:20AM GMT
Surnames: Carden-Wheeler
I am related to Rebecca whose maiden name was Wheeler. I know very little about the Carden's but have a lot of info. on the Wheelers. I got the following info. from the Social Security Death Index...

ROBERT CARDIN - born:10 Aug, 1918- died:Aug, 1981- last residence:30909 (Augusta, Richmond, GA)

REBECCA W CARDIN - born:15 Jan, 1920- died:01 Oct, 2002- last residence:31907 (Columbus, Muscogee, GA)

I have Rebecca's obituary in case you do not. Let me know and I'll post it.

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 1:14PM GMT
Hi - thank you for your response. I'm actually having a tough time finding Wheeler info - anything you'd be willing to share would be great. As I mentioned, Rebecca was my paternal grandmother - her father was James Allison Wheeler. (I'm named for him.)

Also, FYI, Robert Cardin (Carden)'s father was actually not Floyd King - that was his stepfather, as his father died when my grandfather was very young. Floyd King was like a father to him in every way, thus the wedding announcement called him as his father.

Thanks for any clues you can provide to get me on the right road.

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Carden-Wheeler
Let me know what you do know about about Rebecca's family (the Wheeler's) and I can pick up from there. Do you know where they were from or any of her other family members? I don't want to start giving you a lot of info. you already have.
Looking forward to sharing with you.

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Wheeler-Carden
Rebecca Wheeler Carden was born in Etowah, Tn. Mcminn Co.,
She had 2 sisters and a brother. Their father James Allison Wheeler was born in Emerson, Ga. in Bartow Co. as was his siblings and their parents. All the Wheeler's in Emerson, Ga. from before 1850 to after 1920 are related.

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 1:32PM GMT
Hi Bob! Well, I've found a lot on Rebecca's mother's side of the family, but I'm guessing you are related on the Wheeler side. Do you have James Allison Wheeler's parent's names/dates of birth/death, etc? I'm running into a bit of a brick wall with that! Thanks so much...

By the way, I have some pretty amazing stories about my "PawPaw" - JA Wheeler, if you are interested. He was a quite a wonderful man and had an interesting, full life.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic