Search for content in message boards

John Moses Canada

John Moses Canada

Posted: 20 Mar 2003 7:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for parents of John Moses. From an obit he was born Kingston Ont and eventually resided in Wallaceburg Ont. States he was once a sailor. He died January 1918. His wifes name is given as Catherine Sudds. Also one son Joe and a half sister Mrs J Lamarsh (Catherine Moses). Any information on this family or related families would be appreciated.Skye

Re: John Moses Canada

Posted: 21 Mar 2003 3:20AM GMT
Sorry his wifes name was Christina she went by Annie. His father was John Moses and Mahaly? Grisham. Lived also on Wolfe Island. Looking for additional information on his parents and other possible siblings.

Linda Ebare/Cliffe (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2003 2:51AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2003 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Moses, Lamarsh, Slocum
Hello Skye I am also interested in the Moses family as I am a descendant of John Lamarsh and Catherine Moses. I have come across a Mary Jane Moses that married a Abel William Slocum. Would you know if this is a son of John Moses and his first wife Grisham. Could he be a sister of Louise W Moses? Thanks for any help I can get on Catherine Moses Linda

S Yung (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2003 3:09PM GMT
Hi Linda its nice hearing from you. I do not know anythng further on this family. All that I have is a marriage that I found online for John and Christina and I found some baptismal records online for a Sacred Heart , on Wolfe Island.
Since Catherine is John's half sister these baptisms could be theirs. It list father as John and mothers are diffrent.
Who is Louise Moses? Would you have any thing further on this family?Would you happent to have a marriage record for John and Catherine?
John is not my direct line, his brother Joseph is.
Skye

Posted: 9 Sep 2003 2:18AM GMT
Dont know if you got my reply , I was kind of confused as to whom Louise was. Louise was Christina Sudds daughter. I have found that before Christina married John Moses she had married a Grimshaw. An Eli Grimshaw. John and Catherine had no children together. I did find in her obit , Christina's, it mentions a daughter Jane(Mrs Jno. Daggen)of Detroit but she is deceased it also mentions her daughter Louise(Mrs.Vanzant?) also of Detroit also deceased and her son Joseph, not deceased.Do you have anythng on John or Catherine in reference to their parents?
Skye

Linda Cliffe/Ebare (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2003 5:34AM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2003 6:32AM GMT
Surnames: Moses, Crowley, Sudds, Slocum, Wilson
I haven't much on this line except for what I have found on line.John Moses and Catherine Crowley were married by the Justice of the Peace in the office of Laban H Ainsworth on July 16, 1855. In the village of Cape Vincent, Jefferson Co NY Children of John Moses and Annie Sudds
Mary Jane Moses born Oct 27 1862 She married Abel William Slocum Oct 22,1888 in Wallaceburg 2 children Charles John Slocum bOct 5,1880, William Slocum b Oct 6,1882 in Wallaceburg
I think Louise W Moses b 1865 married George Wilson?
Joseph Moses was born 1861.
Catherine Moses b Oct 17,1857 Parents John Moses and Catherine Crowley
John Moses b Jan 13, 1846 Parents John Moses and Mahaley Grimshaw I hope something here is new to you Linda

S Yung (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2003 4:59PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2003 6:31AM GMT
Surnames: Moses, Sudds, Grimshaw, Lamarsh
Yes I have the same information as you also. From Christinas/Annie Sudds obit it states she had 3 children with her first husband Eli Grimshaw and when she remarried to John Moses he cared for them as his own. These children did use the Moses name. I have recently talked with a lady whom is related to the Grimshaws and she has found John in a George and Charlotte Grimshaws home in the 1851 Wolfe Island Census. In this household there is also a George Moses aged 9. I am thinking that this is more than likely Johns brother. Iam just wondering why they are not with their parents. If I find anything knew I will surely let you know.
Do you descend from John Lamarsh and Catherine Moses?
Skye

Cliffe/Ebare (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2003 6:12PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2003 6:27AM GMT
Surnames: Moses, Crowley, Lamarche, Lamarsh, Foster, Ebear, Ebare, Druer, Peers
Hello Skye I know that Kevin Hasson has a interest in this name have you talked to him lately. Did you say that John Moses and Catherine Crowley had no children together if so how did you find this? Julia Anne (Lamarche)Lamarsh that married Theodore Foster is my ggrandparents. I also have an Adolphus Hebert(Ebear,Ebare) that married a Julie Lamarche.I am also related to the Druer family in Wallaceburg area. They are my road block Fredrick St Clair Druer married Elizabeth Peers. Can't find who his parents were.Are you related to any of these families? Also The Moses Park that is near Kingston Is that named after any relative Linda

S Yung (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2003 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2003 6:29AM GMT
Surnames: Moses, Sudds, Crowley, Lamarche, Lamarsh, Druer, Grimshaw
Iam saying that John Moses and Annie Sudds had no children together. John Sr , John's father, and Catherine Crowley had Catherine Moses whom married John Lamarche/Lamarsh.
John Moses Jr and Christina aka Annie Sudds married from what I gather in 1869.
I do not know if this park is named after the Moses family. I live in Wallaceburg. When was your Fred Druer born ?
Iam related to Lamarsh's. My GGG Grandfather Joseph and John Lamarsh were brothers. John and Catherine are not a direct line in my family but Iam very interested and curious about this family.
Regarding Louise and Mary Jane it is possible that they both remarried to other men. I have talked to Kevin but he knows about as much as we do. Would you know much about Adolphis and Julia? Do you know when and where Adolphus passed away?
On the OCFA there is a submision there for a John Moses buried Cataraqui. Register Volume 1 (1853-1875) in Frontenac, Kingston. I believe that this is John Sr's burial since the dates fit. He is found in the 1871 census but not the 1881. I have not been able to find where his wives Mahala and Catherine are buried. This lady that I had talked to thinks that maybe Mahala Grimshaw was a sister to George Grimshaw, thats seems fitting since John Jr is found in his household in the 1851 Wolfe Island census. iam also curious about a George Moses taht is 2 yrs older than John and also in the same household. George Moses is also found in the 1871 census living on Wolfe Island.
Skye

Fred Druer

S Yung (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2003 5:48AM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2003 6:34AM GMT
Surnames: Druer, Drewyer, Drouillard, Pierce, McNiff
Linda regarding Fred Druer, do you have a marriage date for him? I found a Fred Drewyer, is how its spelled, married a Elizabeth Pierce on Oct, 8, 1884 St.Clair MI.
I believe that Fred's name was not originally spelled Druer but perhaps Drouillard. I have noticed that the Drouillard family anglicized their name in quite a few ways eg Druyor, Drewer, Drulard etc.
I have found quite a few families that use various spellings for Drouillard. I suspect that Freds parents may be a John/Jean Drouillard and Sharlott? John was born abt 1839 in Marine City MI, which is directly across from Sombra.John and Sharlott had a son Frederick Drouillard born abt 1859.
John is the s/o John/Jean Baptiste Drouillard and Susan McNiff. I do not know anything further on Sharlott or her maiden name.
Its worth looking at perhaps it was Drouillard and anglicized to Druer. Let me know how it goes and if there is anythng I could look up for you in Wallaceburg let me know.
Skye
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions