Search for content in message boards

Copiah County Historical Society

Copiah County Historical Society

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 2:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Well, it's been too long in coming, but I'm proud to say that Dan Johnson and I are offically organizing the Copiah County Historical Society. I am in the process of incorporating the Society as a non-profit so the society can accept tax free donations. I have a constitution, bylaws, etc. to use as well. We will have an organizational meeting in March 2007, probably at the community center on Lee Ave. I hope you will help pass the word along. We're very excited about this venture. We've needed this for a very long time. So many structures, cemeteries, etc. have been lost. It's time we make a difference in our county! -Tricia Nelson

Re: Copiah County Historical Society

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Crawford, Hall, Maxwell
This is great news... I hope I can help in some way. Maybe, we can build a page or two for the society. Please keep us informed.

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 12:40AM GMT
That sounds great. I'll post the date for the meeting when it's decided. - Tricia

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 4:37PM GMT
I would like to know if I could join the Copiah County Historical Society and I could contribute any help via the internet. I live in San Juan Caoistrano, CA, but my ancestors were the Owens from Stronghope area and also the Brown Family in the Brown Wells area. My dad was born in Georgetown, Miss.

Maria Rowana Brown-Black

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 8:12PM GMT
Oh, that's wonderful. We would love to have you join. We are going to have an organizational meeting in mid-March. We will have to establishe dues, etc. at the meeting and then I can create a membership form. When the form is ready, I will e-mail it to you. We obviously need a website. I'm sure I'll learn more about who can help and in what capacity at the meeting. We certainly don't want to leave out the many people who have family ties to Copiah County - no matter how far away they are. On another note, you mentioned several towns that you have ties to. I'm writing a book on Copiah County and would love to hear about your family AND if you have any old photographs you can scan and e-mail me, I might can use them for the book. Let me know if you're interested. I really would like to hear more about Brown's Wells. And again, I'll be sure to keep you updated on the Society. -
T. Nelson

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: Woodin, Mollegen
I have several ancestors buried in Wesson Cemetery and I would be delighted to find out more about them, make or get copies of photos, etc.
Albert Theodore Woodin 1835-1909
Isabella his wife 1841-1904
Emma Woodin Mollegen 1864-1906, their daughter
Charles H. Mollegen 1880-1912 Emma's son & my grandfather
Henry J. Mollegen 1849-1881, Emma's husband & CHM's father
I will be in Wesson 3/6/07 and would be happy to meet the any of the organizers & join. I live in Connecticut.
Albert Theodore Mollegen, Jr.

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 9:17PM GMT
I hope you found what you were looking for and had a good trip. The Society is in the process of developing bylaws and a membership form. I will e-mail when it's completed. Our next meeting will be April 2nd, at 6:30, at the Lee Avenue Community Center. I hope some area folks will be able to join us.

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 1:07PM GMT
Please put me on your mail list. My roots are in Copiah/Lincoln/Franklin/Adams counties. My email address is jodie.jackson@sbcglobal.net. Thanks.

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 3:21PM GMT
I love your ideas about our county Trish! I live here too and can't wait for your book. Have you got much info on the Hopewell area? I wish I could find some photos of the area when it was a thriving community. My grandmother used to be the postmistress in the early 1900's, and I have a street map of the 'town'. Hard to believe that all that's left now is one main road. I'm going to definitely be at your next meeting, I've got it on my callendar!

Rita Howard Sullivan

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 4:00PM GMT
Oh that's wonderful! So glad to hear you'll be there.

I don't have any pictures or much information on Hopewell. I have a little bit of the history. It would be great to include some photos. I still have a couple of county libraries to visit, so maybe I'll find something. If so, I'll send you what I find.

I would love to see (get a copy of) the street map you referenced. It's a shame the number of county towns that are basically extinct. I may have room to include a picture of your grandmother since she was the postmistress. If you have a picture during that time, please it, if you would like, and I'll scan it.

Look forward to meeting you on the 2nd.

Tricia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions