Search for content in message boards

Android

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 3:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has there been any thought or demand for building an Android based FTM? GEDStar Pro has one and I would love to have one that could help us work on our tree without having to carry a full sized laptop.

THanks.

Re: Android

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 12:32PM GMT
I'd also like to see an Android based app. I seem to remember seeing one for the iphone

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 7:48PM GMT
My question is does their need to be a app? Cant you just access your ancestry tree through the web?

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 11:33AM GMT
Does there need to be an app? Seriously? Of course any smart phone with web access can get into Ancestry.com but that's not the point here. They made an app for the iPhone even before it was available through Verizon. What about people like myself that do not, and will not, own an Apple product? I have Sprint and an Android system. I've waited and wondered and hoped for an app I could use on my phone since I got it over a year ago. I do take my laptop everywhere when needed, but using my phone to get into my tree on Ancestry.com is a slow process that has yet to be worth while. Editing anything through the phone, which I really try to avoid, is an even slower process.

There should be a planned release of an Android app since they released the iPhone one.

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 12:43PM GMT
There are all sorts of considerations that have to be taken into account by any smartphone user who wishes to access their data on the move and it is not actually resident on their phone, some are:-

1. Access, wireless or whatever being available and not too many users in the vicinity.

2. The cost. Do you have an unlimited data package, pay as you go or whatever.

3. Do you really want to muck about with what you have on Ancestry on such a small screen. Fine if you have an ipad.

I have an iPhone, it would be nice to an iPad but I can't really see it fitting into my overall computer usage and I have in any event blown a lot of money on an iMac and MacBook Pro recently as I moved away from Windows.

I carry my database around with me. I use GedView which manages my 98,000+ database admirably, but its function, although you can edit etc is primarily a reference point and to show anyone who asks me, if I am not in full genealogy mode with laptop where they fit it. There have been request for an Android version of GedView but it simply does not make economic sense at present especially if you offer proper support.

I think that a lot of people would consider that any money available in Ancestry for programming would be better spent on improving the stability of FTM/FTMM

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 8:21PM GMT
I think with the event of the Android tablets coming out that may lead them to look at the possiblity of a app. for it. Even with the apple app you wherent able to see the full database only a part of it, cant remember how much of it you could access though.

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 8:28PM GMT
I just saw a add to the right and see they just added a tree app for the ipad.

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 6:15AM GMT
I fully endorse ker17moh's comments. I too will never own an Apple product and have Android kit, including a Xoom tablet. An app which can function equally well offline as it can online would allow a level of portability that laptops cannot provide and would be very useful in research centres.

Having online access to the ancestry site is simply inadequate for those whom rely on FTM for their research. Android FTM - particularly a Honeycomb version gets my vote!

Posted: 4 May 2011 7:20PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2011 7:23PM GMT
Not having an android app will cost you customers. I found this thread searching for genealogy services that support an Android app. I use a Motorola XOOM tablet, which is the PERFECT tool for managing our family tree, and currently have to export and import my GEDCOM database. This is an unnecessary and risky step that shouldn't need to exist.

So many companies make the mistake of following the "hype" instead of looking at long term vision. Over the next three years you will see Apple nestle in nicely to its roughly 25-30% market share like it is forecasted (and has done so 3 times in the past) Android will dominate at around 40-60% of the market followed closely by the (as typical) Windows mobile device. These trends are not new...

Posted: 4 May 2011 9:42PM GMT
What was the timeline between the release of the first iPhone and the release of the Ancestry IPhone application?

Wouldn't it be reasonable to give them the same amount of time to get an Android release out?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions