Search for content in message boards

Hawkins family

Hawkins family

Jeff Hawkins (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hawkins, Byrd, Chapman, Sellers, Howle, McInvaille
Searching for info. on John and Daniel Hawkins, they may have come from Virginia in the mid 1700's to the Cheraw District area. John and Daniel Hawkins received land grants in the late 1700's. John Hawkins property bounded by Richard Champ, Anthony Moore and John Powe. Here is my lineage.
John Hawkins married Constance or Content.
children:
John Hawkins 1780's-1848 marries Lydia Sellers.
Zachariah Hawkins marries Charlotte Oglesby.

John Hawkins 1780's-1848 and Lydia Sellers.
children:
Daniel Hawkins marries Martha Byrd.
William Hawkins marries Mary Jumper.
Thomas Hawkins marries Hannah Boyce.
James Hawkins
John Hawkins marries Martha Golden.
Sarah Hawkins
Phoebe Hawkins
Elizabeth Hawkins marries Turner McInvaille.
Constance Hawkins marries Jeremiah Gulledge.

Daniel Hawkins marries Martha Byrd.
children:
William James Hawkins 1858-1935 marries Ella Josephine Chapman.

Thanks,
Jeff Hawkins

Re: Hawkins family

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins
Hi Jeff,

Did you ever find any additional informaiton on John Hawkins d. 1808? I would be interested to know his ancestry. I can trace my ancestry back to him, then I hit a wall.

All the best,

Paul Hawkins

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 4:10AM GMT
Hi Jeff,
I believe I have communicated with you in the past. Your line you mentioned is the Philemon Hawkins (the Immigrant) line. I have been hitting a brick wall with my Henry Zachariah Hawkins b. abt 1824 TN. Now through DNA with the Family Finder Test, I have a match to this line. I have yet to find some of the missing generations. Have you done a Y-DNA test or the FF Test? If not would you consider it? This line of yours I believe is the Family Group 7 at the Hawkins Worldwide DNA Project if I remember correctly. It would be wonderful if you would submit DNA to the FF Test!

Cheyenne

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 12:15AM GMT
Hello Cheyenne,

Yes, I remember chatting with you. Yes, I am in the Group 7 segment at the Hawkins DNA website. I have submitted my DNA and it is posted there I believe? I think we have about 5 or 6 different branches in Group 7 and none of us knows how we are related other than through DNA. Did your DNA match those in Group 7?
Where in TN was Henry Zachariah Hawkins born? I'm not sure if you are asking me to submit "more" DNA? Nice talking to you!

Jeff

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins/Gibbs
Jeff,
Yes, group 7 at the Hawkins DNA site was the group that I thought our Hawkins Y-DNA would fit into. I had studied them all, and it was mostly the photographs that convinced me this was my line. Instead through the Y-DNA our line is matching closely with some Gibbs submitters. Now through the Family Finder Test which males and females alike can take, I have over 100 cousin matches to many of my lines. You then have to work on those matches and discover how you connect. The FF Test does give you an approximate generational distance from your match and you can contact your matches and try to solve the relationship and hopefully grow your tree, fill in the missing links, hear a story or two, and if you are lucky find an old photograph! With the cooperation of several of my matches we have discovered some of our common connections.

Recently I have had a discovery of a connection and I am after all related to your family group 7 with my Hawkins after all. In looking at every scenario, and discussions with several researchers, and since I am a Hawkins with a Family Finder DNA connection to this Hawkins group, the assumption is a false paternity. A Hawkins girl from Family Group 7 must have had a child, by most likely a Gibbs man, and her son carried her Hawkins name down, perhaps her parents raised their grandson as their son, or perhaps it was due to the Revo War and was a rape by invaders, which was a common occurance. We believe this was pretty recent. I did find some Gibbs on the 1830 Henry Co., TN census in the close proximity of my line. They are unaccounted for Gibbs at the Gibbs DNA project.

You can upgrade your Y-DNA test to a Family Finder without submitting a scraping again through FTDNA. I hope those in this Family Group 7 at the Hawkins Project will consider testing at this level. FF shows about 5, possibly 6 generations back, but there are 3rd party sites which I am involved with that are going much further back. My connection to your Philemon Hawkins line did not show until I tested my (Hawkins)aunt which is one generation removed from my test.

I should have your email addy somewhere, mine is mamacheyenne@gmail.com

Aloha,
Cheyenne

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 1:37PM GMT
Cheyenne,

I'm confused? I already submitted DNA to the FF website. What is the upgrade and how much does it cost?

Jeff

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 4:08PM GMT
Jeff,
I'm sorry, I had understood it was only Y-DNA you had done. You have done the Family Finder Test also and have your results?

Let's talk privately, can you email me?
Cheyenne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic