Search for content in message boards

Jane (Maywood) and James O'Neil, Mineral Co. WV, Osage Co. KS

Jane (Maywood) and James O'Neil, Mineral Co. WV, Osage Co. KS

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 4:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Neil, Maywood, McNeil, Howe, Martin
Looking for descendents of Jane (nee Maywood, abt 1834-1897) and James O'Neil (abt 1829-1898). Born in Ireland, they married in Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1854, emigrated to the United States in 1865, arrived in Mineral County, West Virginia by 1870, and moved to Osage County, Kansas by 1880. James was a coal miner. Children Elizabeth (1857-?, husband William McNeil), Charles (1862-1915, wife Margaret Howe), and James (1867-?, wife Mary) returned to West Virginia/Allegany County, Maryland; daughter Margaret (1859-1940, husband David Martin) settled in Greenwood County, Kansas.

Thank You!

Re: Jane (Maywood) and James O'Neil, Mineral Co. WV, Osage Co. KS

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 3:29PM GMT
I don't know that I can add any info that you don't already have.
I believe you are my Fathers (Gary O'Neil) cousin. I'm Shane O'Neil. That makes Charles and Margaret O'Neill my great grand parents and James and Jane O'Neill my great great grand parents.
I thinks its so great that you were able to find the photos of there grave stone.
Thanks for all of your hard work If I can help please let me know.

Shane O'Neil

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: O'Neil Copp Trimmer
Hello!
My grandmother, Elsie Copp Trimmer (the focus of "Copp & O'Neil"), was actually your Dad's first cousin, although she was 33 years older. Her father's death is the reason the O'Neils ended up in York County. Her grandfather, Frank Copp, brought his family to the Westernport, Maryland / Piedmont, West Virginia area, where he worked in a paper mill, about 1905. In 1909, Frank's son George Copp married Margaret O'Neil, from nearby Elk Garden, West Virginia. In 1910, Frank moved his family to York Haven, Pennsylvania, where he took a foreman's position in the paper mill there. George stayed behind with his new family. Laid-off from his job with the B&O Railroad due to a strike in 1917, he was electrocuted his first day on the job in a coal mine near Elk Garden. His widow took their three young children to Pennsylvania, left them with their grandparents, and eventually remarried and started another family. Margaret's mother, and some of her brothers (including your grandfather), followed her to York County and stayed.
As for the headstone photos, they were taken by local volunteers who responded to my requests, and are posted at findagrave.com (Kansas is a 2000 mile round trip and I won't be getting there any time soon). Ancestry should continue to send you automatic updates. Check back, and feel free to copy or comment on anything I have posted.

Best Wishes,

Michael Spence

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 2:22PM GMT
I have some old photos I'm not sure who everyone is but I could send you copies if you would like.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions