Search for content in message boards

African American - Francis Ridley - b.1864 - Southampton, VA

African American - Francis Ridley - b.1864 - Southampton, VA

Posted: 4 May 2009 7:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Francis Ridley
Surnames: Ridley, Thompson

Hello. I am trying to find infomation about my ggrandmother, Francis Ridley's, (b. abt.1864.) people.

Her father was Nat Ridley b. abt 1822, and her mother was Louisa, b. abt. 1824. I'm not sure whether Louisa's maiden name was Peet or possibly Blunt. AFAIK, they all were from Boykins Depot, Southampton Co., VA.

According to the 1870 Federal Census for Boykins Depot, Nat & Louisa's childrens names were Selvia, Dink, Sarah, Solomon, Nat, Alex, and Frances. There were 3 very young un-named children in Nat's household.

Frances married my ggrandfather, Junius Lee Thompson.
They had 3 children, sons... my grandfather, Herbert Ridley Thompson b. 1899, Junius Lee, and James H.

Frances' parents may have been been slaves on the Ridley plantation. I would like to find out which Ridley owned them.

Junius Lee Thompson's father, Junius Lee (the first Junius), may have been a slave of the Thompson family, from Woodville, Bertie Co., NC, or he may have been freeman. Junius Lee Thompson and Frances Ridley lived in Portsmouth, VA.

If anyone has any information about the Ridleys and their plantations, please e-mail me: chinque1@yahoo.com

I have some information on the Thompson family.

I appreciate any help that you give me.

Gladys M. Brown

Re: African American - Francis Ridley - b.1864 - Southampton, VA

Posted: 7 Nov 2009 10:55PM GMT
Gladys,
If you look at the 1860 slave census there are 3 Ridley owners of slaves in 1860. Thomas, Robert, and F.T. Ridley. You can pull those lists and even though there aren't names you may be able to pick your ancestor by the age and color (mulatto narrows the search). There are slave census records for 1850 and 1860 on ancestry.com.

I am following a Cornelius Ridley who by family history we know was the mulatto son of Thomas Ridley III. He was given his freedom by his master (and father) in 1861 and went to Media PA. His features were light skinned, red hair and green eyes. I knew from other records that he was born 1838 or 1839. When I look at the 1860 and 1850 slave census I find a 12 yr old mulatto in 1850 and a 22 yr old mulatto in 1860. I am as certain as I can be without names that this is Cornelius Ridley. Thomas Ridley had 215 slaves in 1850 and 171 in 1860. Only 4 male mulattos in 1850 and 2 male mulattos in 1860. He had a sister Rose who was sold to someone in New Orleans. I find a 15 yr old mulatto girl in 1850 but she isn't there on 1860. I would love to find a deed of sale or some such document.

Southampton Co Va has an ongoing project to digitize their Court records. You can access them at http://www.brantleyassociation.com/southampton_project/south...
The project is not complete but it is here that you may also find some clues. For instance wills often name some of the slaves and estate records may show sales of slaves by name. I just accessed a will of Thomas Ridley I who died in 1815. It mentions the following slaves that are left to his wife Amey: Laney (Lucy??), Dock?, Pomfrey (Pompey), Robin, Hannah, Maggie, Dinah and Cynthia.
[This can be found in will book 8 pg 434-436.]

If luck is with you accessing a will or estate record may help you locate a slave by name.

Years ago in 1978 when a court clerk was asked how we might find slave accountings we were told:
" You will have to look for accounts regarding the Ridley estates to find slave evaluations. These, if in existence, would be found by asking for the indices to "wills" and "fiduciary accounts" at the Circuit Court Clerk's office in Courtland, the county seat of Southampton Co. Bills of sale, it extant, to my knowledge, might appear among court suit papers, which are not open to the general public. Going through voluminous court papers might be a tedious, time-consuming matter, at any rate, and the best approach is to check the "order books" of the old Southampton county court for suits involving family members of the Ridley family."

Now that the Southampton county records are being digitized this might all become possible very soon!
Good Luck!
Blessings!
Susan

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Ridley
Hello. My maiden name is Ridley. When I researched my father's family I found a large cluster of black Ridley's in Jasper county, GA. I was unable to find anything past the slavery period. Most of my Ridley family migrated to Ohio in the 1930's. Have you traced any of your branches to GA or OH?

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: Ridley, Thompson, Bynum
I haven't thus far, I haven't gotten further than Southampton County, VA.

If I could find my relatives there, I would be able to track where some of the Ridleys migrated to.

I have done that with my Thompson side (Francis Ridley was my grandfather, Herbert Ridley Thompson's mother). I was also able to track some of my Bynum side as well.

My grandfather shared a grandfather with his cousin David Bynum (also from Southampton Co, VA, now living in Brooklyn, NY).

Ridley -- Southampton, Co, VA
Thomspon -- Portsmouth, VA & Woodsville, Bertie Co., NC
Bynum -- Southampton Co, VA & Norfolk, VA, and NC

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 6:27PM GMT
I haven't thus far, I haven't gotten further than Southampton County, VA.

If I could find my relatives there, I would be able to track where some of the Ridleys migrated to.

I have done that with my Thompson side (Francis Ridley was my grandfather, Herbert Ridley Thompson's mother). I was also able to track some of my Bynum side as well.

My grandfather shared a grandfather with his cousin David Bynum (also from Southampton Co, VA, now living in Brooklyn, NY).

Ridley -- Southampton, Co, VA
Thomspon -- Portsmouth, VA & Woodsville, Bertie Co., NC
Bynum -- Southampton Co, VA & Norfolk, VA, and NC
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions