Search for content in message boards

Rehberg/Thursby

Rehberg/Thursby

Randall Thursby (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rehberg, Thursby
I am trying to find the death location of one of my great-great aunts. Her maiden name was Roxanne Thursby b July 8, 1843 and died May 25, 1931. She married Charles A. Rehberg b Jan 1, 1831 and died November 1, 1898.

The only children I can attribute to them are Rosa Louisa Rehberg Feb 12, 1884 d Aug 20, 1959 and she was married to John William Davis, Jr.

Richard Oscar Rehberg b Sept 5, 1886, died Dec 13, 1963 and married Annie Belle Davis. Children Charles Alton Rehberg and Eris Olene Rehberg (Feb 13, 1913) who married James McManus.

If you can give me any leads or contacts I certainly would appreciate them. if you can fill in any information on the descendents of Charles and Roxanne I would appreciate having that also.

Roxanne had a brother William James Thursby b Nov 17, 1841 married Louisa Oliver who also moved to Thomas Co.

J W Davis

Brenda Arthur (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: J W Davis, Annie Davis
I have a J.W. Davis listed at 2 years old in the 1880 Thomas
County Census. His sister Annie was 12. Does this sound like your family?

Re: Rehberg/Thursby

Posted: 4 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: Rehberg, Thursby
I checked the Census for 1870 in Thomas County and found no Rehbergs nor Thursby's listed. If I have the opportunity to go to the Library again soon I will check more. I still suspect you will find what you are looking for in Grady or Mitchell County, Ga.

The Rehberg/Davis Connection

Richard White (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: REHBERG, DAVIS, THURSBY, HOWSE, HOLTON, SHIREY

I don't know for certain the death location of Roxanna Rehberg (presumably that is her name as it appears on her grave stone... because it is how her name is given in the Grady County Georgia Tomb Index), but I presume that she died in Grady County, Georgia. She is buried in Grady County, at the Tired Creek Primitive Baptist Church, south of Cairo on Georgia Hwy 111 (NOT to be confused with Tired Creek Methodist Church which is north of Cairo and is the home of a separate and so far as I know completely unrelated Davis family). Mr. St. Elmo Lee in his book on _The Rehberg Family_ identified her as Roxye Ann Thursby Rehberg (p. 51). I have also seen her name as Rachel Roxi Ann Thursby. And you apparently have her as Roxanne. I suspect that there are other variants. She was the second wife of Charles A. Rehberg. They were married on 5 February 1880 and Mr. Lee identified their children as Frederick Monroe Rehberg, Richard Oscar Rehberg, and Rosa Rocreta Lula Louisa Rehberg.

Frederick Monroe Rehberg was born 15 January 1881 and died 4 February 1882.

Instead of trying to retype it all here, let me say that the rest of the information about the other two children and their descendants is on pages 51-55 of Mr. Lee's book.

If you are interested in Charles A. Rehberg's first wife Permelia Jane Holton and their many descendants, see pages 2-51 of Mr. Lee's book.

Charles A. Rehberg was born in the Kingdom of Hannover, and emigrated to Decatur County, Georgia, with his parents George Frederick Rehberg (born in Hannover 26 December 1806) and Sophia Elizabeth Howse (born in the Electorate of Hessen-Cassel on 16 January 1807), arriving through the port of St. Marks, Florida, circa 1834-1840. The area where they settled (between Pine Level Baptist Church and the Gainey Crossing) has been in Grady County, Georgia, since that county came into existence on 1 January 1906. Information about the Confederate military service of their sons, including Charles A. Rehberg, can be found at http://pone.com/ts/rw0x.htm

The name John William Davis, Jr., is in the ballpark, but not exactly right...

The full name of the John Davis in question was not John William Davis and he was not a Jr. His full name was John Wilmot Davis, and I have heard of him being referred to as "Little" John Wilmot Davis to distinguish him from his uncle (my great grandfather) John Wilmot Davis. His father was Joseph Jefferson Davis. Joseph Jefferson Davis was a brother of my great grandfather John Wilmot Davis, and they were both among the sons of Jonas B. Davis. Some information about the Confederate military service of some of their older brothers can seen at http://pone.com/ts/rw0x.htm

The Rehbergs and Davises in this line are VERY intermarried. The Annie Belle Davis who married Richard Oscar Rehberg was a daughter of my great grandfather, John Wilmot Davis and his wife Carrie Elizabeth Shirey, who was nominally a daughter of Jacob Littleton Shirey and Amanda Rehberg... a daughter of George Frederick and Sophia Elizabeth Howse Rehberg (and sister of Charles A. Rehberg); but I believe that she was actually an "adopted" daughter of Amanda (and Charles's) sister Elizabeth Rehberg, who apparently never married but had a number of children known by various last names. Note: I said that "I believe". I cannot prove this and so far as I can tell there is no way to prove or disprove it, just some circumstantial evidence that can be said to lead in that direction.

As you have already mentioned, the other John Wilmot Davis, my great grandfather's nephew, married Charles A. Rehberg and Roxanne Thursby's daughter, Rosa Rocreta Lula Louisa Rehberg. So... I am simultaneously Rosa Rocreta Lula Louisa Rehberg's 1st cousin once removed, 1st cousin three times removed, and second cousin twice removed... plus I am a 1st cousin twice removed of her husband, "Little" John Wilmot Davis. I could never figure all of that out... my computer did it.

I am trying to get Mr. Lee's entire book into my Family Tree Maker database, but am far from that... though I do have a number of updates on his information in it. I am sending a copy of this to Eris Olene Rehberg McManus's daughter, Carolyn Teague. If you desire any further information on the Davises, I suggest that you contact Mr. Ed Davis: rdsod@ictransnet.com

Richard White
Tallahassee, Florida

Re: The Rehberg/Davis Connection

Kathy Wetters (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2003 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Davis, Rehberg, Sasser
Richard was right regarding her burial place. I'm almost certain she died in the home of my grandfather, John Wilmot Davis, as his wife, Rosa was her daughter.
I've heard my mother, Lotchie Davis, speak fondly of her on many occasions. Also my mother visited with the Thursby descendants in Decatur County on several occasions and was always interested in learning where the Thursby line came from before moving there.

Thursby/Rehberg

Posted: 18 Jun 2003 4:07AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2003 3:52PM GMT
In her records, my aunt, Carrie Cone Glover, showed the name as Rachel Roxie Ann Thursby and indicated the information was sent to her by Myrtice Davis and was taken from the Thursby Bible which was in Myrtice's possession at that time (10/8/1976). Also, an application for a widow's pension was made in the name Rachel A. Rehberg. The Thursbys were in Wilkinson County, GA in 1850 and in the Faceville District of Decatur County by 1860.

My line of descent is: John Thursby > Martha Elizabeth Thursby Brown Castleberry > Samantha Luvicy Castleberry Miller > Lula Iberia Miller Cone > Wesley Carroll Cone > Jennifer Elaine Cone.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions